Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throwing in the towel, I need help...or a buyer

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliot9
I missed the response.
Post #31. I actually mentioned two possibilities, with two part #s. Check out both.

Just doing exactly the same thing you've already done 5 times once again is pointless. You've got to look a bit more carefully at the specifics of the situation, and proceed systematically and analytically. Honestly, it doesn't augur well that you are missing some of the responses in this thread. Car maintenance is not rocket science, you don't have to have a high IQ to be a competent mechanic, but you do need to be disciplined enough to proceed carefully and methodically, and when things don't go according to the book, to pause to think why.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Elliot9
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
Post #31. I actually mentioned two possibilities, with two part #s. Check out both.

Just doing exactly the same thing you've already done 5 times once again is pointless. You've got to look a bit more carefully at the specifics of the situation, and proceed systematically and analytically. Honestly, it doesn't augur well that you are missing some of the responses in this thread. Car maintenance is not rocket science, you don't have to have a high IQ to be a competent mechanic, but you do need to be disciplined enough to proceed carefully and methodically, and when things don't go according to the book, to pause to think why.
There are a lot of replies to this thread sometimes I don't catch every single word.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

There are a lot of replies to this thread sometimes I don't catch every single word.
That's my point. You've got to slow down and start paying closer attention to detail. You've missed a detail on the front of the engine, too. Think more, check more, do less.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:47 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 87 944 C
neat trick. put some automotive a/c dye in the oil. run the engine for like 15mins. get an leak detector light, and glasses. look for glowing. follow glowing back to source...leak found.
If it is leaking a quart in 7 minutes, a blind man could find the leak!

I think it's important to remember that the car didn't leak this badly before he worked on it. That eliminates a lot of the suggestions.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Elliot9
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
That's my point. You've got to slow down and start paying closer attention to detail. You've missed a detail on the front of the engine, too. Think more, check more, do less.
An internet forum and working on my car are too different things. I don't have the greatest internet so often times I lose connection mid post or mid reading something and I forget exactly where I was by the time I regain access. That doesn't happen when you work on a car, you don't "lose connection" the the wrench or part in your hand. Thank you for the concern but I also don't appreciate being talked down to about how I do things based on the fact I missed a sentence or two on an internet forum.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Elliot9
Instructor

Originally Posted by 944Ross
If it is leaking a quart in 7 minutes, a blind man could find the leak!

I think it's important to remember that the car didn't leak this badly before he worked on it. That eliminates a lot of the suggestions.
Yes I'm quite positive it's coming from the lower balance shaft seal area. I suppose I could try the dye with the car running and follow another persons suggestion of taking everything off so I can see the exact point it's coming from but I know for certain the 6" x 6" area it's coming from.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:23 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

but I also don't appreciate being talked down to about how I do things
Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but obviously "how I do things" _is_ the root problem if you've really done this five times and it's still not fixed.

Well, obvious to me, anyway. But I won't insult you further with any more advice.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:18 AM
Elliot9
Instructor

I appreciate the help and advice but the way you were putting it made me feel like you think I'm an idiot because I'm asking for help. That's all I'm trying to say.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:47 AM
Whtevruwnt
AutoX

doing something the wrong way over and over doesn't make it the right way.
you came here looking for help and you have been given some good suggestions.
we all know how frustrating these cars can be at times. no one was calling you and idiot, only trying to find a place to start the diagnostic process.
lashing out at the ones trying to help doesn't solve the problem. It only makes people want to help less.
so before u wast anymore time or money. assess your situation and work your way back to the problem.
i don't really have anything more to add to what has already been said. it just hurts me when i see people lashing out at the ones trying to help them.
just my 2cents
Old 11-13-2010, 07:18 AM
Landseer
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 209 Posts

You and the shop teacher need to invite a real 944 enthusiast into that shop to see the car.

What year is it, BTW?
I have an 83 car here that I titled in Virginia and was going to refurbish, but its interior and underbody are damaged, so its being disassembled. The engine ran well in the driveway, here. It could be persuaded to give up parts. ( I also have a set of oversized new balance shaft shell bearings.)

Are we sure its the balance shaft housing and not the metal / rubber integrated gasket for the oil filter housing?
Old 11-13-2010, 07:25 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

I don't know if it has a groove or not
Hmm. You took it apart 5 times and didn't check the seating point of seal? How's that possible? Are you looking away when doing this?
Old 11-13-2010, 11:58 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
Hmm. You took it apart 5 times and didn't check the seating point of seal? How's that possible? Are you looking away when doing this?
But if it didn't have a bad leak before, it wouldn't become a massive leak with a new seal, even with a groove.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Elliot9, you also need to check the O-rings on the cam and balance shafts. Make sure you have these and they are in good condition. If one of these had been left off then you would probably have a leak.
The parts numbers are 99970160240 cam and 99970165240 for the balance shafts.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Elliot9
Instructor

Originally Posted by Whtevruwnt
doing something the wrong way over and over doesn't make it the right way.
you came here looking for help and you have been given some good suggestions.
we all know how frustrating these cars can be at times. no one was calling you and idiot, only trying to find a place to start the diagnostic process.
lashing out at the ones trying to help doesn't solve the problem. It only makes people want to help less.
so before u wast anymore time or money. assess your situation and work your way back to the problem.
i don't really have anything more to add to what has already been said. it just hurts me when i see people lashing out at the ones trying to help them.
just my 2cents
I wasn't lashing out. Simply stating how I felt about his comment.

Originally Posted by Landseer
You and the shop teacher need to invite a real 944 enthusiast into that shop to see the car.

What year is it, BTW?
I have an 83 car here that I titled in Virginia and was going to refurbish, but its interior and underbody are damaged, so its being disassembled. The engine ran well in the driveway, here. It could be persuaded to give up parts. ( I also have a set of oversized new balance shaft shell bearings.)

Are we sure its the balance shaft housing and not the metal / rubber integrated gasket for the oil filter housing?
It is an early model 1985, I cannot afford to buy used parts right now I need to try to fix it with what I have.

Originally Posted by Voith
I didn't know I needed to be looking for it in the first place. Yes I know, let the comments begin that I don't belong around one of these cars...

Originally Posted by 944Ross
But if it didn't have a bad leak before, it wouldn't become a massive leak with a new seal, even with a groove.
My thoughts exactly, but I'm probably wrong.

Originally Posted by Charlie
Elliot9, you also need to check the O-rings on the cam and balance shafts. Make sure you have these and they are in good condition. If one of these had been left off then you would probably have a leak.
The parts numbers are 99970160240 cam and 99970165240 for the balance shafts.
As I have stated I have replaced the balance shaft o-rings on the back of the housings that I removed, the cam seals are fine they don't need attention right now.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:49 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't know I needed to be looking for it in the first place. Yes I know, let the comments begin that I don't belong around one of these cars...
Stop beating yourself up about it. Its pretty clear your doing something wrong so go back and try to figure it out. Every one has made a mistake lets forget about the part that you have done this 5 times the same way and expected different results. Your a pro at taking it apart

Look over the manuals again you know where its leaking from so thats a pretty good starting point.

if its pissing you off : Stop : walk away and get a beer then when your settled down go back at it again.

Quick Reply: Throwing in the towel, I need help...or a buyer