Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throwing in the towel, I need help...or a buyer

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:07 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
Well done Now drive it like you stole it!
he did steal it !...........
Old 11-20-2010, 12:20 AM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The balance shaft belt should not be touching that smooth roller when the engine is turned off. When the engine is running, the belt will jump around a bit and hit that roller, causing it to spin. The PO on one of my 944's used that smooth roller to tension the belt and the engine sounded like an airliner.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:32 AM
Elliot9
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jay W
The balance shaft belt should not be touching that smooth roller when the engine is turned off. When the engine is running, the belt will jump around a bit and hit that roller, causing it to spin. The PO on one of my 944's used that smooth roller to tension the belt and the engine sounded like an airliner.
Thanks for answering, I figured it shouldn't be touching but I wanted a confirmation.

As for the car, I don't know if the leak is fixed yet everyone, don't get your hopes up. I need to get the whole thing reassembled and drive it around putting a load on it to be 100% sure. And the car isn't exactly drivable yet other than quick test drives at sub-80kph speeds, I need to do all the wheel bearings and brakes (getting new calipers, rotors, pads, DOT approved stainless steel lines, and DOT approved synthetic fluids) and refill the transaxle with fluid. If that doesn't fix my driveability issue then I may need to look at doing the clutch or replacing the transaxle, and then I have to rewire the car (some dumbass wanted gangsta disco speakers and crap in there so the wiring harness's are spliced to hell and back...). So I figure if I can drive the car daily by March I'll be in good shape.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:48 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disagree. Balance shaft should not whine. Whine indicates the belt is over tensioned. This has been covered on here a lot, as well on the arnnworx site.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:26 AM
Elliot9
Instructor

Originally Posted by onspeed
I disagree. Balance shaft should not whine. Whine indicates the belt is over tensioned. This has been covered on here a lot, as well on the arnnworx site.
The only way the whine goes away is if I back it off so much it would slap all over the inside of my timing cover.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:09 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it the correct belt and is it routed the proper way?

Or maybe your increments in adjustments between tight and loose is too large?

quoted from arnnworx site "one casual method of setting the balance belt is to set the belt by feel and then observe how it tracks with the engine running - too loose and it will flop against the belt cover, too tight and it will make an irritating whine."
Old 11-20-2010, 03:51 AM
Elliot9
Instructor

Originally Posted by onspeed
is it the correct belt and is it routed the proper way?

Or maybe your increments in adjustments between tight and loose is too large?

quoted from arnnworx site "one casual method of setting the balance belt is to set the belt by feel and then observe how it tracks with the engine running - too loose and it will flop against the belt cover, too tight and it will make an irritating whine."
It's the correct belt, not sure how you could fit one that would be incorrect... I have to play with it some more, it's the weekend so I won't have access to the car again until Tuesday.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:12 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

so, the oil leak is gone?
Old 11-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Elliot9
Instructor

Originally Posted by Voith
so, the oil leak is gone?
It is gone when the engine is running in neutral at idle and low revs at idle. But the nose is also 2 feet off the ground on jack stands and I have yet to put a load on the engine, so it's fixed for now, we'll see what happens when I drive it around for a bit.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:15 AM
Elliot9
Instructor

So I got the leak somewhat contained, but it is still there. I suspect the car needs to have the lower balance shaft replaced. So I'm now selling the car, I can't put anymore money into it to make it a reliable daily driver and I think I'm just not ready to own a Porsche full time yet. I'm actually looking for a 240Z or 260Z so I'd be willing to trade for one. I don't know the exact policy for advertising on Rennlist so hopefully this is ok, if not I'll edit this post just let me know.

Edit: Removed the sentence of possible advertisement. Didn't really qualify as a for sale thing but better safe than sorry.

Last edited by Elliot9; 11-24-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove balance shaft...

Weld up drain holes and tap/plug oil feed.

Done and Done
Old 11-24-2010, 01:03 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliot9
So I got the leak somewhat contained, but it is still there. I suspect the car needs to have the lower balance shaft replaced. So I'm now selling the car, I can't put anymore money into it to make it a reliable daily driver and I think I'm just not ready to own a Porsche full time yet. If anyone has any interest let me know I'm actually looking for a 240Z or 260Z so I'd be willing to trade for one. I don't know the exact policy for advertising on Rennlist so hopefully this is ok, if not I'll edit this post just let me know.
You have to be a Rennlist member to post for sale.

GLWS and good luck finding a Z that isn't trashed even worse.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:11 AM
Elliot9
Instructor

Originally Posted by 944Ross
You have to be a Rennlist member to post for sale.

GLWS and good luck finding a Z that isn't trashed even worse.
Ok thanks. Finding a Z in California that isn't trashed isn't as difficult as you would think. The rust is usually minimal if any so as long as the car hasn't been wrecked it's pretty easy to find a decent one. Plus for the money I've put into a Porsche that doesn't even run I could have a relatively complete and decent Z, seems like a smarter move money-wise right now, cheaper parts, simpler to work on, pre-smog here in CA so I can put any engine that I want in it, etc.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:15 AM
Elliot9
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fishey
Remove balance shaft...

Weld up drain holes and tap/plug oil feed.

Done and Done
Wish it were that simple but the balance shaft is either bent or the bearing near the back of the block is completely shot allowing it to oscilate when the engine is running which is expanding the front seal and making it sputter oil. Don't have the money to replace it nor the time (semester at school is over in 2 weeks) nor the desire anymore. I'm not letting the car beat me, I'm just making a financially smart decision to not pour more money than I already have into a car that won't meet the final value or time and money put into it.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:21 AM
Landseer
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliot9
Wish it were that simple but the balance shaft is either bent or the bearing near the back of the block is completely shot allowing it to oscilate when the engine is running which is expanding the front seal and making it sputter oil. Don't have the money to replace it nor the time (semester at school is over in 2 weeks) nor the desire anymore. I'm not letting the car beat me, I'm just making a financially smart decision to not pour more money than I already have into a car that won't meet the final value or time and money put into it.
Maybe, but you contradict yourself with the pursuit of a japanese Z that was a tin can compared to a 944, probably a two-fold worse decision from a financial perspective.

Somebody here would give you a balance shaft. Hell, I've got a whole engine sitting out here in the driveway. And a set of oversized balance shaft bearings in the parts bin.

Too bad you quit. Right in front of the finish line.

Outa here

Quick Reply: Throwing in the towel, I need help...or a buyer