Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throwing in the towel, I need help...or a buyer

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 03:07 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Elliot. Forget all that you,ve read up til now. Everybody has good advice, but you are frustrated. That fully understandable and from here on just relax. The nex time your in there WILL be the final time. You will fix it on tuesday.
What needs to be clarified, is the size of the balance seals, there are larger ones and smaller ones and they correspond to the sleeve that fits over the end of the shaft. There is no rhyme or reason as to what may be in there. The seal kits you buy come with whatever the car originally had. By now, the seals and sleeves have been replaced...with what, nobody knows. The only sure way of knowing is to buy the seal kit that comes with the sleeves (the really expensive one), otherwise you will probably get the wrong seals. if you put a large seal on a small sleeve: no good seal. If you put a small seal on a large sleeve:damaged/no good seal. Take calipers and measure the sleeve and match the seal to it. You may have to order the correct seals individually, not a kit.
Also while your in there...look at the oil cooler housing and balance shaft housing behind the lower shaft. if you pulled the front of the shaft housing off to reseal it, you had to remove balance shaft housing bolts on the "plate housing" behind the front housing. Look at all that real close.
First thing, mic out the balance shaft sleeves and determine if you have large or small ones. Upon reassembly, make sure you note the direction of the arrows on the seal corresponds to the direction the shaft is rotating.
make sure the oil filter is tight and not "double" sealed.
Check back soon. PM me if you have any direct questions.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

If you changed the cam seal make sure you put the correct one in. The outside diameter of the two seals is the same so they both fit the housing. Both seals will fit the smaller diameter cam but the 32 by 47 will not form a good seal.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:17 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^which means it doesn't fit. Big seal for big sleeve, small seal for small sleeve. Cam and balance shaft sleeves are interchangeable and come in two different sizes. some cars have big, some small, and some have both. You have to know what you have before putting it back together, so you source the right seals.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:21 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

gonna watch this problem get solved...can't wait to see it fixed!!!
Old 11-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Elliot9
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie
If you changed the cam seal make sure you put the correct one in. The outside diameter of the two seals is the same so they both fit the housing. Both seals will fit the smaller diameter cam but the 32 by 47 will not form a good seal.
As I've said before the cam and crank have been left alone my leak has nothing to do with those but thank you for the information.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

The only thing I can think of and I'm not sure its possible, have never tried it, would be if you put the metal spacer with the flanged end on backwards. NOt sure it will fit but it would be worth a look.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:24 PM
johnjohn
Rennlist Member

Sell!
Old 11-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Elliot9
Instructor

My full front engine reseal kit should arrive today or tomorrow from Pelican which has everything I could possibly need in it including those floating races you guys were talking about and the "onion skin" seals I didn't even know about. So...I'm going to give it one more try, if it isn't fixed this time around I will deffinately be selling the engine at the very least if not the whole car.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Before you put the new seals on you need to take some pictures of where the current leak is and post for us to see. Another choice would be to get a local Rennlister with experience to look at it. If you just redo everything without finding out what is wrong you may not fix the problem.
For the car to be leaking as much oil as yours there is something missing or not correct. It is not the mylar seals, just replacing the parts just as they are is not going to solve the problem. You need to find what is wrong.
Do you have a digital camera??? Is so lets see some pictures
Old 11-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliot9
My full front engine reseal kit should arrive today or tomorrow from Pelican which has everything I could possibly need in it including those floating races you guys were talking about and the "onion skin" seals I didn't even know about. So...I'm going to give it one more try, if it isn't fixed this time around I will deffinately be selling the engine at the very least if not the whole car.
I would strongly suggest getting some help from someone that has done this repair.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:58 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lemming
I would strongly suggest getting some help from someone that has done this repair.
+1
Old 11-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Elliot9
Instructor

I've called a few Porsche shops in the area they had some good advice. I'm going to try it again and see what happens doing what I've been told about measuring things and what-not to make sure it's all in spec still.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Landseer
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 209 Posts

Porsche shops I know call these guys for advice. Actually, it was a decent idea. But you are cutting out the middleman when dealing direct on this forum. These boys know their ****. Are you listening?

Seriously, use your resources better. Where are pictures? Do you have PET? Do you have WSM? This is not intuitive, its a process. Its documented.

The basics are what the instructors should point you towards. Like the study of sealing surfaces whats and hows, mentioned above. If they aren't grading you on seeking written documentation, then I give them a fail on that. Maybe a C if they at least suggested you seek experts.

Similarly, again, the detailed processes come from the manuals and the cautions and nuances come from serious enthusiasts. At least you've begun to engage them, but help them help you. Pictures. Diagrams. Speak in terms of part numbers and functions of those parts.

And what made you think I would have charged you for critical parts? Me, and many others, pay it forward all the time when it feels right.

BTW, parting a car is a fail because you can't figure out the problem and you punt early. Don't let it defeat you. But don't defeat yourself by thinking its intuitive. Seek real data, clarify it here with pros.

You will win that way. Big win! Visualize it with us. Relax (no beverage needed). See the win. Leggy blonde, spring, riding shotgun, sunroof off, windy, see that. See the win. Feel the win....
Old 11-16-2010, 12:17 AM
Elliot9
Instructor

Originally Posted by Landseer

Porsche shops I know call these guys for advice. Actually, it was a decent idea. But you are cutting out the middleman when dealing direct on this forum. These boys know their ****. Are you listening?

Seriously, use your resources better. Where are pictures? Do you have PET? Do you have WSM? This is not intuitive, its a process. Its documented.

The basics are what the instructors should point you towards. Like the study of sealing surfaces whats and hows, mentioned above. If they aren't grading you on seeking written documentation, then I give them a fail on that. Maybe a C if they at least suggested you seek experts.

Similarly, again, the detailed processes come from the manuals and the cautions and nuances come from serious enthusiasts. At least you've begun to engage them, but help them help you. Pictures. Diagrams. Speak in terms of part numbers and functions of those parts.

And what made you think I would have charged you for critical parts? Me, and many others, pay it forward all the time when it feels right.

BTW, parting a car is a fail because you can't figure out the problem and you punt early. Don't let it defeat you. But don't defeat yourself by thinking its intuitive. Seek real data, clarify it here with pros.

You will win that way. Big win! Visualize it with us. Relax (no beverage needed). See the win. Leggy blonde, spring, riding shotgun, sunroof off, windy, see that. See the win. Feel the win....
I'd love to provide pictures, but as I've said in previous posts I don't have access to the car until tomorrow and I still have to take it apart to take pictures.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:22 AM
PerceptionProblem
Racer

Default I know

The feeling. Mine is about to get the top-end torn down this week. Part of me still wants to just part it out/sell it for the short-term satisfaction of knowing I'm not dumping tons of money into a car. . .

But really, there are FAR WORSE things for us to dump money into. Plus when we're done rebuilding our engines, we've have effing working Porsches. You can't beat that.

And where at in Cali are you, generally speaking?

Quick Reply: Throwing in the towel, I need help...or a buyer