Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 924/944 today

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 12:49 PM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 944TurboYYC

Ugh.... Discovered that my hatch has delaminated at the top.

I've been adjusting the hinges and latches over the past month trying to get it to latch perfectly (and hold), so I guess all the constant opening and closing and occasional hard closing took it's toll.

Time to scour the forum for solutions.
You can either try a "good" used replacement, or attempt to re-seal the hatch, basically. Some people have had good luck with resealing, some haven't.

Personally, I'm starting to consider a fiberglass hatch just to be done with the issue. I prefer the factory look for sure, but lighter weight, a cooler interior, and no more delamination headache is a definite plus.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:00 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by DasSilberWedge
Haha well I look forward to it. It's great fun & I know he'll enjoy it. I'm sure he'll probably end up showing me his taillights!

Yeah I got that impression too. Seems like it's looked after quite well. It'll be a totally different animal to what you currently drive but I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot. I didn't start out that well informed either but be warned, give it time and the 944 bug bites hard! I've done a several 8-9 hour drives in my S2 in the last year & a half and its been flawless. I think it does quite well long distance. Love it to bits. 928 probably even better at that sort of thing but that's another story.

And about the clutch comment, I apologize, I also meant to say make sure he's replaced it recently as the labour for a shop to do it will be pretty big unless you're one of us knuckle bleeders

I find the best fire extinguisher is one that works! But I'd reserve it for your hideous 993

Best of luck with the purchase! If you need a hand with anything or have any questions, need freaky tools etc I'm always here. I'm sure you know already but Rich has owned his fair share of 944's and a 968 so he's definitely worth a call too.
Ha! So far my son drives like a granny! I think he'll be able to relax in AutoX and let it rip!

Great comments on the 944. Ray Gumbel and Chris Bush also owned 944's. And thanks for your offer on working on it. So I'll be in good hands. Matt the owner sent me an extensive list of everything he has done on it. Clutch, torque tube, manifolds, brakes, suspension etc... all done. Incredible.

As for the 993 and a fire extinguisher, I was lifting up carpet the other day and discover a small sheet of plywood behind the driver's pedals. What a hoot! Do the 944's have this as well? The 993 is a '98, a good 11 years older than this 951 but it's such a throw-back to earlier 911's. What a blast.

So If I do this, I'll complete the an "Engine in each location" quiver. I am looking forward to checking it out, driving it etc... This is where is all starts, right? You start doing research, getting to know the car, emailing the guy, downloading pics etc... and the next thing you know there's another car in your garage. I particularly like the price of these P-cars They seem way under priced in comparison to the 911's. The 928's in the same boat but there's a massively complex car with fix-it bills to balance out the entry costs. But as you say, that's another story.

Tx again for your input. I'll keep y'all posted!
Old 07-02-2016, 04:33 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SloMo228
You can either try a "good" used replacement, or attempt to re-seal the hatch, basically. Some people have had good luck with resealing, some haven't.

Personally, I'm starting to consider a fiberglass hatch just to be done with the issue. I prefer the factory look for sure, but lighter weight, a cooler interior, and no more delamination headache is a definite plus.
I'm willing to try my hand at a repair, but the success rate seems to be hit and miss.

Looks like a new one is $1900.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a hatch that closed as solidly as the doors? I wonder how much interest there would be in a beefier frame or some other improvement.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:33 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What bumperettes?

Got tired of these old rubber pads...old and crappy looking and, well, 1980's. Trying out a new 3M product that is supposed to patch porous metals and resists moisture and oils. If I get ghosts, I'll simply get the holes welded shut. Primer so far after an afternoon's work...BC CC to follow.

ps...that 3M stuff stinks to high heaven...open the garage door fellas! lol
Attached Images   
Old 07-03-2016, 11:06 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
What bumperettes? Got tired of these old rubber pads...old and crappy looking and, well, 1980's.
Not bad for a Moo U grad. I mean Cow College...

Old 07-03-2016, 11:23 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

lol...when I was there we called it U of Goo.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:14 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
lol...when I was there we called it U of Goo.
+1 And the Brass taps was The keg.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:03 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Tried a bosch O2 sensor and the idle was unstable so I reinstalled the old one just to clarify. The old one, with the AC on or off, was a solid 840rpm. The only tidbits yet to be replaced on the intake side are the injection seals and the throttle body o-rings.

The new one felt a little stronger in the 2-3k range so I will try it again. The sensor is a cake walk....I have to remove the starter to get a good angle on the clip that holds the wire to the hard line to the slave.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:32 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Ha! So far my son drives like a granny! I think he'll be able to relax in AutoX and let it rip!

Great comments on the 944. Ray Gumbel and Chris Bush also owned 944's. And thanks for your offer on working on it. So I'll be in good hands. Matt the owner sent me an extensive list of everything he has done on it. Clutch, torque tube, manifolds, brakes, suspension etc... all done. Incredible.

As for the 993 and a fire extinguisher, I was lifting up carpet the other day and discover a small sheet of plywood behind the driver's pedals. What a hoot! Do the 944's have this as well? The 993 is a '98, a good 11 years older than this 951 but it's such a throw-back to earlier 911's. What a blast.

So If I do this, I'll complete the an "Engine in each location" quiver. I am looking forward to checking it out, driving it etc... This is where is all starts, right? You start doing research, getting to know the car, emailing the guy, downloading pics etc... and the next thing you know there's another car in your garage. I particularly like the price of these P-cars They seem way under priced in comparison to the 911's. The 928's in the same boat but there's a massively complex car with fix-it bills to balance out the entry costs. But as you say, that's another story.

Tx again for your input. I'll keep y'all posted!
Lucky guy! Pretty killer garage combo you've got going. The 951 is a good choice & will round it out really well I think. The really nice low mileage ones are starting to go up a bit but I don't think our "driver" ones will. Would love to see it happen though! Either way I think they're a total bargain. They have a pretty big smiles to dollar ratio, especially the Turbo.

Yes exactly! I'll try not to rant on with a big story on here but before my current S2 I was really close to picking up an 86 951 that fell through. The ordeal lasted on and off for nearly 3 months (!) and it was the worst distraction possible. I had pictures, lots of reading on here and even recreations in Forza to drive on my Xbox! It pretty much took over most of my free time and is really what had instilled my huge Porsche problem. Kinda sucked in the end that I didn't actually get the car as the seller changed his mind last minute but I think I'm happier, personally, with my S2. Again, I would own both if I could.

Haha but I had no idea there was plywood! I've never been under the carpet in my car but I did a quick search and it looks like most if not all of the older Porsches have plywood in the floorboards. Supposedly so the electrical beneath couldn't short out on it.. Guess I'm in the market for a fire extinguisher!
Old 07-03-2016, 10:47 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Good to know! MY '83 944 did not have any plywood on the passenger side..when I pulled out all the sound deadening material and the carpet to do the heater hoses..I'll check out the driver's side and get back to you on this..Hmmm Interesting.....
Old 07-04-2016, 02:56 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Drippy drip

Throttle was dripping externally. I don't think the belly pan will ever stay on for more than 48 hours.
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2016, 08:14 PM
No Lag
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Front speakers install. Can get the stock grilles on too!
Old 07-04-2016, 08:41 PM
Zax65
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last week at lime rock, stomped on clutch going into the uphill, broke my clutch fork and imploded my clutch, lost three teeth on my torque tube. Luckily I have a spare 944s2 parts car, so i had a spare. While in there, put in the s2 trans, added a lightweight flywheel, a stage three spec 2 clutch push type.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:04 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Installed battery
Drained fuel
Replaced fuel filter
Bought oil
Rinsed off cobwebs and dust

Next items:
Oil change
Belts
Complete manual sunroof conversion
Euro bumpers and fogs
Old 07-05-2016, 01:53 AM
KVDR
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm trying to buy an alleged 'mint condition' hatch that was only used from 1985 to 1988 and stored indoors ever since. Apparently not delaminated.

Seller does not have a price listed. Seller only responds in riddles.

"What are you willing to offer, I won't let go cheap"

"Well, what do you want?"

"Would like to see the best offer, some will just kick the tire and expect to get it cheap."

Considering that he didn't counter my $300 offer, I'm guessing he's way out to lunch on the valuation.

"is in mint condition, sorry way too low, but thanks"

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 924/944 today