Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 924/944 today

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 09:06 PM
Pizpot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fasteddie313
I got it down pat now!!

These are the ones you want...

Hey, glad to hear you've got it all sorted and figured out!

It had escaped me that the original calipers you had tried were the non-vented type - that explains all the grinding I guess!
Old 07-06-2015, 12:14 AM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went for a drive in the S2 through our awful smoke-filled air that got blown over from the island and inland today to Horseshoe Bay. Really sucked....... Except for the lack of traffic at 6AM

After that, got home and ordered parts off Pelican for my brake upgrade/refresh on the S2. Went with Porterfield R4-S's all around, Zimmerman cross-drilled rotors and a new set of stainless lines. Pretty excited as it was well needed after today.

Should've posted this last one about my front plate a week ago but better late than never! Took a high-res picture of my plate and sent it to a local decal shop that specialize in doing the interior signs/billboard adverts for BC place and Rogers arena. Had it put onto an aluminium foam-core backing plate that now attaches it self with super high strength Velcro to my modified licence plate bracket. Frees up more airflow going into the car and no longer rubs on the front bumper as the overly observant of you will notice. Yes I know, angle is a tad off..
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2015, 09:36 AM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lowered the trans by 1/2" for a lower center of gravity. I just used 2 longer bolts and a stack of broad fender washers on the trans crossmember. Also lowered the rear muffler hanger to match. This was actually quick and easy to do. I wonder why no one did this before?
If your trans and engine aren't in line I would think you are bending the drive shaft inside the torque tube.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:05 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by ilikemy944
If your trans and engine aren't in line I would think you are bending the drive shaft inside the torque tube.
no, because the trans and engine are still rigidly mounted to eachother by the torque tube, the only effect is that the whole assembly is now tilted down to the rear in his car.

and the reason no one has mentioned doing this (although a few have done it) is that you're very unlikely to notice any difference while driving, with a 1/2 inch lower transmission, so why bother. 2 feet above the trans is a 52lb chunk of glass that would affect the CG more by changing its weight.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:41 AM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stage 2 coming next...
Bigger rears to upset the bias, split my brake lines front-rear, and an in cabin brake proportioning valve in the rear lines to fine tune braking bias.. Your 944 lines are allready split front-rear IIRC..

Any recomendations on bigger rear calipers? Cheap and bolt on required..
What about the rears from the same model Volvo? They're opposed 2-piston calipers compared to the single floating caliper. I don't know the dimensions but photos online seem to show a similar mounting setup to the Porsche rears. Might be worth a look.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:58 PM
mattipuh
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fixed threads for left caster block. Both went goner when removing control arm..
Old 07-06-2015, 03:48 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SloMo228
What about the rears from the same model Volvo? They're opposed 2-piston calipers compared to the single floating caliper. I don't know the dimensions but photos online seem to show a similar mounting setup to the Porsche rears. Might be worth a look.
I checked them out, the 2 mounting bolts are about 1/2" to close together and there is no meat on them to modify this..
I thought about grabbing them anyway to really check and compare but it was like 90 degrees outside and the 4th of july..
I'll be going back to the car many times for sure, I have to go pull a subie LGT tranny/wheels and stuff/spares for my RS here in a couple days so I'll be back out there..
Old 07-06-2015, 05:25 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

I checked them out, the 2 mounting bolts are about 1/2" to close together and there is no meat on them to modify this..
I thought about grabbing them anyway to really check and compare but it was like 90 degrees outside and the 4th of july..
I'll be going back to the car many times for sure, I have to go pull a subie LGT tranny/wheels and stuff/spares for my RS here in a couple days so I'll be back out there..
OT but do you have any idea where to get replacement rubber bushings for subie suspension?
my outback needs em.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:45 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry man no I haven't done any of those yet and I'm not exactly as involved in the Subaru as I am in the Porsche, not yet at least..
Old 07-06-2015, 11:08 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

tunnel progress...need to make driver side console trim and then move to the trunk.
Attached Images   
Old 07-07-2015, 03:30 AM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ilikemy944
Don't worry, the engine and trans are still a solid unit. When the trans is lowered the engine simply tilts back a small amount.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:30 PM
joeystanker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

V2: The interior work looks awesome!
Sausage: Moving your fuse box? Brave and genius!
Old 07-09-2015, 03:00 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

this took about 4 hours on and off, lots of careful fitting and trimming and gluing and trimming etc.

i had stripped the rear seat cushion of its leather a few days ago and today put new material over it to match/blend in with the rest of the new carpet.

its not perfect but its pretty good for a first-attempt id say. the cushion is a really complex shape...this would be easier to make fit with some selectively added foam/stuffing in a few places near the middle.

the lines you see are not stitching - i carefully rubbed the carpet into each of the grooves on the foam cushion to make it stick better.
Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2015, 04:04 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not much, weather has been hot around here so no work done to either of the cars. Today we had some rain so i'll probably go to the garage and finish the cam oiler upgrade for the red car.
Been keeping them in shade

Miss driving them both so much. Will take a week off work just to enjoy driving them soon.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:21 PM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
this took about 4 hours on and off, lots of careful fitting and trimming and gluing and trimming etc.

i had stripped the rear seat cushion of its leather a few days ago and today put new material over it to match/blend in with the rest of the new carpet.

its not perfect but its pretty good for a first-attempt id say. the cushion is a really complex shape...this would be easier to make fit with some selectively added foam/stuffing in a few places near the middle.

the lines you see are not stitching - i carefully rubbed the carpet into each of the grooves on the foam cushion to make it stick better.
Your interior project is looking great so far. What kind of carpet are you using? It seems to be pretty pliable and conforms well to contours.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 924/944 today