Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 924/944 today

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 11:18 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I beg to differ, you're driving on public roads, children, pets, other people...its really important your car drives as its meant to. Ok, maybe this method is good enough, but i never heard about it and if your alignment is off, you wear the tires, dont even know it...one rainy day kid jumps in front hurying home...then string alignment is for you?

It costs $20 over here for a wheel alignment and its a 15 minute job.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:58 AM
L Cubed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have string aligned a couple of race cars and my measurements are within the factory tolerance of +-5'

To your point though, I feel confident in the job I have done, I trust my alignment as I would trust that a tire shop mechanic did the job right. In the end it all comes down to knowing how your car works for you, if you prefer a shop do the work for you great! I prefer to do the work on my car because I use it most for autocross and DE's, not a daily car.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:37 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by morghen
I beg to differ, you're driving on public roads, children, pets, other people...its really important your car drives as its meant to. Ok, maybe this method is good enough, but i never heard about it and if your alignment is off, you wear the tires, dont even know it...one rainy day kid jumps in front hurying home...then string alignment is for you?

It costs $20 over here for a wheel alignment and its a 15 minute job.
It has been around for years and is well established in racing.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=3004
Old 03-27-2015, 03:35 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

For race cars its a complete other story, i think everybody would agree.
But would you trust some other random guy doing this and then driving his sports car on the same streets your kid goes to school?
Old 03-27-2015, 03:51 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

For race cars its a complete other story, i think everybody would agree.
But would you trust some other random guy doing this and then driving his sports car on the same streets your kid goes to school?
No it's not, I think everyone that knows how to do it properly will agree. A string alignment is as good as any computer alignment from a professional service center.

Just because you don't have to pay the price (or haven't heard of it) doesn't make it any less precise.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:06 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

No more or less than I already have to trust the typical shadetree mechanic who does his own brakes, tie rods, wheel swaps, etc.

In fact, if the guy has a set of SmartStrings, chances are he's somewhat of an enthusiast and probably a higher likelihood that he knows what he's doing. Vs. the typical idiot with a basic tool kit from Home Depot taking his brakes apart in his driveway.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:14 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
No more or less than I already have to trust the typical shadetree mechanic who does his own brakes, tie rods, wheel swaps, etc.

In fact, if the guy has a set of SmartStrings, chances are he's somewhat of an enthusiast and probably a higher likelihood that he knows what he's doing. Vs. the typical idiot with a basic tool kit from Home Depot taking his brakes apart in his driveway.
+ 1000

Well said!
Old 03-28-2015, 11:48 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 503 Posts

had to wash it twice to get the dirt off and the shine back on.
Attached Images   
Old 03-28-2015, 11:46 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm trying to figure out how and what to do about this..

I like my car having it's original paint and don't know what to do about this.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:19 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OmniGLH

Seems like a good point, still i think being an entushiastic does not automatically mean job well done...I think you would agree there are some enthusiasts who do a better job than others and some who do bad jobs..brakes or string alignment.
Wheel alignment is only done in special (licence based) shops around here.
I would sleep better knowing that on the streets people are relying on professional help when it comes to technical inspection and ofcourse wheel alignment.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:58 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like a good point, still i think being an entushiastic does not automatically mean job well done...I think you would agree there are some enthusiasts who do a better job than others and some who do bad jobs..brakes or string alignment.
Wheel alignment is only done in special (licence based) shops around here.
I would sleep better knowing that on the streets people are relying on professional help when it comes to technical inspection and ofcourse wheel alignment.
Some times it pays not to think too much.
We have a real ICE epidemic down here at the moment with the Police reporting far more ICE effected drivers than Drink Drivers (alcohol).

I'm more concerned with these idiots on the road than the possibility of someone attempting their own alignment and getting it wrong.

Just saying........
Old 03-30-2015, 09:25 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl_W944
I'm trying to figure out how and what to do about this..

I like my car having it's original paint and don't know what to do about this.
Try some POR15 first than dab on some red paint. Use gloves when using POR15, it won't come off of skin
Old 03-30-2015, 09:31 AM
Jscaramella
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Por15 is a good choice. I have also used a rust converter that leaves an etched surface, ready for paint and prime. Eastwood has some products. Its also your rocker area, which I would image is more forgiving to paint "maintenance" rather a fender or larger panel. You may consider to do both full sides.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:00 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Totally agree.
So crystal meth is back, huh..

Originally Posted by psychoideas
Some times it pays not to think too much.
We have a real ICE epidemic down here at the moment with the Police reporting far more ICE effected drivers than Drink Drivers (alcohol).

I'm more concerned with these idiots on the road than the possibility of someone attempting their own alignment and getting it wrong.

Just saying........
Old 03-30-2015, 01:49 PM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 924/944 today