Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VR 944 PROJECT

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 10:31 AM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think he likes the 944, just not the VW engine that came with it lol.
What will the HP/Torque #s look like with a boosted VR engine?
I'm all for engine swaps.....completed that is.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:17 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
He could write 10 944 hate books..... how I became poor from owning poormans Porsche.....

I treated this one as I treat them all.....

with the utmost of integrity, upbeat objectivity, and honesty in the face of tacit realities regarding what it takes to not just to attempt to tune a petulant automobile, but to win....

I'm about to finish the engine, transmission and driveline swap.... I got a lot of help on my car from; Tony G, Rob M. [XS Chop], Roger B. [California Motorsports], Eric Hill [TPC], Kevin Gross [Catellus Engineering], Van S, Scott Dewitt [Advanced Automotion], and Chris Negen at Scoggin Dickey], and a few more awesome people....

engine projects that go past 6, 7 years don't fit in the modern world because, our objectives change...

or eventually they die... but i'll admit, even doing a v8 is a monumental task.

but at least the v8 projects don't end with another fatality....

and what do we learn from these seemingly endless, all but useless endeavors?

time and again, we discover that it not only takes a village to polish a high cost, high strung turd,

what is required is a realistic plan and a good deal of money.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:48 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

economics of DETROIT V8 taxi engine....
I've always had an enthusiastic outlook on your long [now going past 6 years] engine project for the following reasons;

1. the economy might not be as robust as over here to make high-output, American V8 engines [built over-square] desirable.

2. gas is out of sight in your neck of the woods.

3. ignorance is bliss; a few examples of Detroit v8s with their poorly designed exhausts from the '70s are all people know....

4. oh, and over in Europe it's all-Fatherland German Motors [or else] anyway... Sig Heil...

5. with all the amazing women over there, who the f_ck has time for messing with cars?

how to make a 968 look more like fake 911....
Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
after seeing the 911 Targa [MOD], I'm starting to wonder what a 968 Targa would look like...

people do facelifts, rear spoiler mods, 911 to ruf, 964 to 993 [fenders], 996 to 997 [headlamps], and all kinds of wild body kit mods all the time with their flagship cars.... have you seen Doug Bray's current 930 update??? why are we under some kind of **** keep it all original edict on non-collectable entry-level cars worth only fractions as much ???

most of the time, these mods are functional.... from the perspective of aerodynamics, my mod was not only highly desirable for a 190 mph 968, but Harm Lagaay's team was working on a 959/993 style fixed headlamp mod for our same 968 cars! it seems they saw the poor aero of original design with the lamps whether up or down..... mine is set at up at a steep enough angle to run the Xenon lamps...

last but not least, 993 Xenons blow the effing doors off the original equipment.

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
I LOVE what you've done with the headlights!
Attached Images      

Last edited by odurandina; 06-15-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:10 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

odu - i think ive cracked this one.

it all comes down to the concepts of european sports car vs american hot rod.
one is a pure experience, small displacement and big revs for the twisties of the alps...

the other is meant to be a tire-boiling bastard for re-paving the freeways with rubber.

but i say...

Old 06-14-2014, 03:13 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
it all comes down to the concepts of european sports car vs american hot rod.

one is... big revs for the twisties of the alps...

the other... a tire-boiling bastard for re-paving the freeways with rubber.

but i say why not both...
you said it Spencer.... if just the 944 rebuild projects could go according to plan.

there are exceptions, but, unfortunately, that's not what people's experiences tend to indicate.

economics of DETROIT V8 ....

forget 190 mph.... what about 200 mph?? can it be done at a reasonable cost??

ok,

do any of you remember this car ???

the SSC Ultimate Aero set a new world speed record for the "World's Fastest Production Car" at 256.41 mph in 2007....
before finally being bested by the Bugatti Veyron in 2010....

ok,

have a look at the engine specs [2nd photo below]....

I know, I can't frigging believe it either!

a couple of years ago I was thinking.....

'the LS3 is pretty close to maximum torque, and the LS7, a good bit past for what the 968 needs....'

I also knew, i didn't want the street rod feel of that big 427 thumping inside the engine bay...

still; wouldn't it be great if the LS3 engine had a little more at the top end?'

then it hit me.... 'why not run the LS7 block but, bring the stroke back to the standard LSx-3.622" ???'

'an engine like that with forged internals on those stout Siamese cylinder banks might be able to turn as high as 7800~8000 rpm !!

'if I could run something near a bone stock cam, big ported heads, and straight pipe, then a big glasspack in front of a good sized Magnaflow out the back...... then, the engine wouldn't have so much of a street rod feel, but be smooth.... and make sick [as in plenty] top end for a 3200 pound car....

'Jesus - has anyone ever done an engine like this ? does anyone make the right pistons that would make this possible?'

turns out, somebody had done this, and built a 611 hp, 8000 rpm DETROIT V8!!

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/vem...oke-of-genius/

a few other people had done it as well.

now it's a couple of years later and I find out the team that built the world record Ultimate Aero,
also started with this same insane LS7/4.125" bore Siamese block w/ 3.622" crank combination.

economics of DETROIT V8 ....
the winner:

for $6,400 for the complete long block/intake/tb/coils/injectors, the LS3 crate will forever be the go-to engine for our cars.

still, something a little better than an LS3 can be built for a very reasonable $$$$.

Attached Images   

Last edited by odurandina; 06-15-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:24 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

way off topic now but..

damn your 968 looks good in blue.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:58 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

maybe,

boils down to Porsche was just too stingy on ponies.

but, these martyr post scripts of the latest I-got-this-man-didn't-bother-to-learn-history-so-i-doomed-myself-to-repeat-it-
next-stop-oblivion
thread, might save the next 944 from certain death.

Last edited by odurandina; 06-14-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:54 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unsubscribed.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:41 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Originally Posted by xschop
I think he likes the 944, just not the VW engine that came with it lol.
What will the HP/Torque #s look like with a boosted VR engine?
I'm all for engine swaps.....completed that is.

once a turd always a....

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...-thread-2.html

Originally Posted by JB911
Just scratched the Audi A4 off the list...

WTF, the 2.0 engine is a disaster - looking through the forums those cars burn a qt of oil/1200 miles

There are people selling off their A4's left and right, even after the warranty work (new rings/software etc)

No wonder there are so many A4's on auto trader New rings at 20K miles?

I thought the audi 4cyl turbo was pretty much the same as the VW's, maybe they burn oil too?

I hope S4's don't have these issues

Search continues...

Heil Hitler

Quick Reply: VR 944 PROJECT