Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VR 944 PROJECT

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Vonov
Racer

Location: Nashville///'84 944NA, Virtual Luftwaffe pilot, Fighter Ace online
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still waiting...(tap, tap, tap)
Ah, well...guess I can do some cleanup or something on the Scirocco.

A friend wants me to buy his '81 five-speed 928...the car is very clean, but has a few minor issues with suspension, and one major oil leak from the rear of the block.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Vonov
Racer

Location: Nashville///'84 944NA, Virtual Luftwaffe pilot, Fighter Ace online

Finally got the valve springs in, and the valves installed in the head. Torqued the main bearing caps (twice, because I got interrupted, and wasn't 100 % sure that they all got the same torque (22lbs/ft, plus 180 degrees) so I unbolted and redid them to spec). Oddly enough, torque spec for the rod bearings was the same, except only 90 degrees extra. I forgot to have the new head bolts picked up from the supplier, so I have to wait till Monday to install the head on the block. Ah, well, I still have other things to do (I wound up buying the 928), so no biggie.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:33 PM
mygodchris
2nd Gear

I just want to say that I have been following this thread for a bit, and i CAN NOT wait to see this thing in action. I've always wanted my super-reliable, torquee, sweetest sounding vr6 in a beautiful 944.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:54 PM
SlickGick
6th Gear

Hey have you gotten any farther with this would be an amazing swap and i would really be interested in doing this myself. Keep up the good work.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Bruno.s
1st Gear

Joined the forum to follow this build
Old 09-28-2012, 04:38 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Any updates?

BTW, there is a piston ring compressor made specifically for the VR6 with its 15-degree deck:
Name:  100_1449.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  31.1 KB
Old 09-28-2012, 10:48 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Any updates?

BTW, there is a piston ring compressor made specifically for the VR6 with its 15-degree deck:
Arash, are you taking photos in the future, again? Look at the date on that!

I'm still subscribed.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:52 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

LMAO

I found that picture after doing a web search for "vr6 piston ring compressor." My hands don't look like that, but in 68 years, who knows?
Old 09-05-2013, 12:54 AM
ishigakisensei
1st Gear

After one year, has this project died. This noob here is fascinated with this swap project.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:13 PM
Lapkritis
Instructor

Have a vr6 turbo in an mk2 vw that I've had for a decade. Interested to hear if you were able to get this on the road. The pictures I've seen on the 924 attempt indicate there would be a problem with the porsche cross member and the vr6 oil pan. This cost to rectify would be significant in a dry sump system for the vr6 ... which is out there but pricey.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:18 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

four and a half years ago....
Originally Posted by Vonov
After doing some (ok, a lot) research, I think I've finally discovered how this can be done (VR6 swap)...and so, it proceeds... initially was thinking LS-1 swap... but the more I thought about it, the more I felt it would alter the fundamental character of the car. I don't want a Porsche that sounds like a taxicab....
I hear that giant sucking sound (future butthurt) but, this guy sounds like he knows what he's doing. plus, he's a 928 guy and Lord knows thems things are one serious nightmare. maybe he can pull this off.

three years ago...
Originally Posted by WRC_413X
Progress?
six months later...
Originally Posted by Vonov
Sorry so long since last post...life has been interfering...
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
I wondered what happened with this. Can't wait for pics.
two years ago..
Originally Posted by pontifex4
I'm glad to see this is still in the works. Good luck on your retirement!
I'm still not posting (I like it and keeping an open mind about a smooth running, modern substitute for that tired old lawn mower)....

today...
Originally Posted by ishigakisensei
has this project died?
do bears **** in the woods. yeah, safe bet another one crashed and burned.... is this as bad as the faux dash re-do fraud? no. not near as bad. this guy appears to have at least tried....

but, the effort needs to yield some performance much less a ton and a half of scrap... the stock engine that came with the car is economy. the VR engine is better plus a few extra foot-pounds etc....

would-it-a been cool? yeah I guess (and kudos for the sound with straight pipe, SLP, etc).... but still in need of a weight reduction program and turbo in full tune, but, for some perspective; a PORSCHE 968 pullout with a Carl Faucett raptor/charger can be had in a weekend and done the job. but, without forced induction, what's to get all in a heap over?

still waiting for anything over 3.1 liters that's not a wonderfully tuned, throaty, American V8.... which also happens to be the only f_cking powerplant that works for this German car besides a mid-boosted. 3.0 S2 or '68 Turbo.

am I an *******? yeah... but I've read dozens of threads on as many car forums where endless bigoted Euro worshiper/Yankee haters think the LS motors can and only could be as worthless as the old TPI engines from the mid-80s IROCs....

and again, the next totally super awesome 944, is either crushed or rusting away in some junkyard.

NEXT.....

Last edited by odurandina; 10-19-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:02 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
four and a half years ago....

I hear that giant sucking sound (future butthurt) but, this guy sounds like he knows what he's doing. plus, he's a 928 guy and Lord knows thems things are one serious nightmare. maybe he can pull this off.

three years ago...

six months later...

two years ago..

I'm still not posting (I like it and keeping an open mind about a smooth running, modern substitute for that tired old lawn mower)....

today...

do bears **** in the woods. yeah, safe bet another one crashed and burned.... is this as bad as the faux dash re-do fraud? no. not near as bad. this guy appears to have at least tried....

but, the effort needs to yield some performance much less a ton and a half of scrap... the stock engine that came with the car is economy. the VR engine is better plus a few extra foot-pounds etc....

would-it-a been cool? yeah I guess (and kudos for the sound with straight pipe, SLP, etc).... but still in need of a weight reduction program and turbo in full tune, but, for some perspective; a PORSCHE 968 pullout with a Carl Faucett raptor/charger can be had in a weekend and done the job. but, without forced induction, what's to get all in a heap over?

still waiting for anything over 3.1 liters that's not a wonderfully tuned, throaty, American V8.... which also happens to be the only f_cking powerplant that works for this German car besides a mid-boosted. 3.0 S2 or '68 Turbo.

am I an *******? yeah... but I've read dozens of threads on as many car forums where endless bigoted Euro worshiper/Yankee haters think the LS motors can and only could be as worthless as the old TPI engines from the mid-80s IROCs....

and again, the next totally super awesome 944, is either crushed or rusting away in some junkyard.

NEXT.....
Is this turd running or is it still being polished?
Old 06-13-2014, 02:12 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
OD you shoud write a book about the topic and publish it - elsewhere.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:22 AM
xschop
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If Odu's book takes 5 years to complete, he'll still be faster than this swap.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:29 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

He could write 10 944 hate books, 5 "how to make 968 look more like fake 911" and 7 "economics of taxi engine" books and still have 3 years left to complete "how I became poor from owning poormans porsche" trilogy.

It would be enough material for 2 books from hist posts alone.

Quick Reply: VR 944 PROJECT