Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 11:16 PM
944TurboDave
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Water Pump

Hey guys,

I'm Dave and I'll be helping my dad (jimlam56) out with his recently acquired '86 944 Turbo.

While prodding around the engine, I've discovered a strange situation with what I believe is the temperature switch for the turbo water pump, and would like some clarification, if I could:

With the engine shut off after driving the car, I can "wiggle" the single-wire connector on the temp switch, and the electric water pump will switch on and run for several minutes.

Obviously, I am suspecting bad wiring or a bad connection to the switch, but could someone explain to me the proper operation of the turbo water pump? Is it supposed to run at all after the car is shut off? Is that single-wire temp switch the only means for the electric pump to turn on?

I've tried searching the forums a bit, but haven't found exactly the answers I'm looking for. Thanks in advance for your help! I look forward to contributing to these forums, as our father/son project unravels!
Old 06-12-2014, 08:27 AM
flashx
Intermediate

My understanding is it only runs for a short while after the car is shut off to circulate the coolant through the turbo. I don't think it runs when the car is running
Old 06-12-2014, 02:15 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 944TurboDave
Hey guys,

I'm Dave and I'll be helping my dad (jimlam56) out with his recently acquired '86 944 Turbo.

While prodding around the engine, I've discovered a strange situation with what I believe is the temperature switch for the turbo water pump, and would like some clarification, if I could:

With the engine shut off after driving the car, I can "wiggle" the single-wire connector on the temp switch, and the electric water pump will switch on and run for several minutes.

Obviously, I am suspecting bad wiring or a bad connection to the switch, but could someone explain to me the proper operation of the turbo water pump? Is it supposed to run at all after the car is shut off? Is that single-wire temp switch the only means for the electric pump to turn on?

I've tried searching the forums a bit, but haven't found exactly the answers I'm looking for. Thanks in advance for your help! I look forward to contributing to these forums, as our father/son project unravels!
Here you go:

With the engine shutdown, if the temperature in the discharge cooling line from the turbocharger rises to 115 °C (as sensed by a temperature sensor), the electric turbocharger cooling pump comes on to circulate coolant from the expansion tank, through the turbocharger, and back to the expansion tank. The turbocharger cooling pump also comes on for 25 seconds any time the engine is shut off regardless of the temperature in the discharge line.
Do yourself a favour and bookmark http://www.clarks-garage.com/
Old 06-14-2014, 09:58 PM
944TurboDave
2nd Gear

Awesome, thanks for the replies, guys! And for the link to clarks-garage.com. What a site! It will come in handy, for sure.

Quick Reply: Turbo Water Pump