Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 944 Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 06:39 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks great!
Now it just needs a front splitter and proper rear wing to make it perfect
Old 10-29-2009, 08:22 AM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Splitter is here already, rear wing I'm waiting for the Deutsch9 version be finished....
Old 11-30-2009, 05:26 AM
HJK
Pro

Brake problems sorted, started installing the adjustable brake bias from Tilton and found that the body shop connected brake lines wrong through the firewall. Upside is that I now got adjustable brake pressure, downside is that I could've done without it I think.

Got 9x17 wheels for the wet racing, and the next two weeks hope to finish off all the small remaining stuff. We're putting in bigger injectors, so we'll have to dyno it again to adjust the motec, we'll have to set up the Motec display, install the TPS, create some extra wiring for the Videocam etc etc. Hope to start shaking her properly in the mid of december. Will try 220 (1200) rear springs instead of the current 140 (800) since the guys from Shark racing say that will match their lightweight rear axle and solve the swaying butt. Aaaarrrggh the list is long, but getting there. Never would've thought it would take almost a year. But........ it will be worth it.
Attached Images      
Old 11-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh my God. That car is so beautiful. Cheers to you, mate! That yellow is STUNNING!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:33 PM
future
Banned

It's great to see you finally enjoying her on track Henk
Old 11-30-2009, 10:36 PM
HJK
Pro

Originally Posted by future
It's great to see you finally enjoying her on track Henk
Yeah, last bits and pieces, and next season she should be good. Will put the splitter and waiting for you guys to come up with the rear spoiler.

When you planning to come to TH, let me know......

Henk
Old 11-30-2009, 11:12 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i agree with Skip on the fuel cell- def needs to be lower for center of gravity- and safer.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:57 AM
HJK
Pro

Yeah, we'll do some more shaking down and set up work in December and then in preparation for the season we plan to cut through the panel and lower the tank towards the gearbox, see how low we can go.

H
Old 12-01-2009, 01:03 PM
future
Banned

Yeah, last bits and pieces, and next season she should be good. Will put the splitter and waiting for you guys to come up with the rear spoiler.

When you planning to come to TH, let me know......
Sounds and is most certainly looking great Henk

Yes our TRS Version 2 rear wing is almost complete and we’ll provide an update shortly – we’ve had several problems with this one but hope that the final adjuster mounts will solve the previous problems we ran into during testing.

Our project race car is coming along nicely and we have just cut the trunk floor out to look at the feasibility of making a transaxle wraparound fuel cell which would utilise a ATL filler neck/nozzle but this will come at a later date.

Here are a few other pics of the car in question which has now been laid up at the back of our workshop until I next come over to Switzerland in early spring to work on the aerodynamics and styling with Beni before we can start taking the finished moulds:

Pic of the Truck floor cut out for measurement of D9 fuel cell (We will be building a full independent rear suspension package to get rid of the old Torsion Bars - This will utilise 997 parts) ... A Pre-preg quick release C/F floor cover and seal will be made to fill the hole and allow easy service access for quick suspension setup track-side etc:

Pics of the roll cage we had custom manufactured by Dave Woods in the UK:
1. Beni being measured up by Dave:

2. We have had the cage cut and welded through to the front turrets and a box section incorporated to maximise chassis rigidity since the car will be/is now a wide body:

The car used to be mine before I gave it to Beni and had been in storage for 2 1/2 years down in Colchester in the UK. Beni came over for 3 days and helped me strip out the car.
3. Beni enjoying a good old scrap :

4. And me shredding some weight from the door:

5. Some more pics of the Roll Cage:

6. To ensure that the rear arches will be 100% symmetrical we extended them in Steel before we can take finished moulds from:

7. Wide body front wings and bumper test fitted for measurements to rear wings:

We will not be using these front wings and bumper as we are building our own design which will follow shortly. These are only for measurement and alignment before we jump onto the aerodynamics.

8. The car as is at the moment laid up until spring when we will dive back onto it:

^She will be getting some lovely box-section side skirts for optional side-exit exhausts as Beni will be dropping an LS7 into the beast

But first I've got D9 Project 993 disaster to pull straight/panel/paint before she goes to Switzerland - a real winter headache :

... unlike Beni who has been working on something more interesting last week:

Plus he managed to finish D9 project 993 to 968 headlight conversion on our development car:

Yes I will definately come over to TH next year ... Not been there before and is probably one of the only countries I've not visited but always promised myself I will do so one day

I'll start new threads on the above at a later date as this is your thread

Best regards,
Mark
Old 12-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

Sounds and is most certainly looking great Henk

Yes our TRS Version 2 rear wing is almost complete and we’ll provide an update shortly – we’ve had several problems with this one but hope that the final adjuster mounts will solve the previous problems we ran into during testing.

Our project race car is coming along nicely and we have just cut the trunk floor out to look at the feasibility of making a transaxle wraparound fuel cell which would utilise a ATL filler neck/nozzle but this will come at a later date.

Here are a few other pics of the car in question which has now been laid up at the back of our workshop until I next come over to Switzerland in early spring to work on the aerodynamics and styling with Beni before we can start taking the finished moulds:

Pic of the Truck floor cut out for measurement of D9 fuel cell (We will be building a full independent rear suspension package to get rid of the old Torsion Bars - This will utilise 997 parts) ... A Pre-preg quick release C/F floor cover and seal will be made to fill the hole and allow easy service access for quick suspension setup track-side etc:

Pics of the roll cage we had custom manufactured by Dave Woods in the UK:
1. Beni being measured up by Dave:

2. We have had the cage cut and welded through to the front turrets and a box section incorporated to maximise chassis rigidity since the car will be/is now a wide body:

The car used to be mine before I gave it to Beni and had been in storage for 2 1/2 years down in Colchester in the UK. Beni came over for 3 days and helped me strip out the car.
3. Beni enjoying a good old scrap :

4. And me shredding some weight from the door:

5. Some more pics of the Roll Cage:

6. To ensure that the rear arches will be 100% symmetrical we extended them in Steel before we can take finished moulds from:

7. Wide body front wings and bumper test fitted for measurements to rear wings:

We will not be using these front wings and bumper as we are building our own design which will follow shortly. These are only for measurement and alignment before we jump onto the aerodynamics.

8. The car as is at the moment laid up until spring when we will dive back onto it:

^She will be getting some lovely box-section side skirts for optional side-exit exhausts as Beni will be dropping an LS7 into the beast

But first I've got D9 Project 993 disaster to pull straight/panel/paint before she goes to Switzerland - a real winter headache :

... unlike Beni who has been working on something more interesting last week:

Plus he managed to finish D9 project 993 to 968 headlight conversion on our development car:

Yes I will definately come over to TH next year ... Not been there before and is probably one of the only countries I've not visited but always promised myself I will do so one day

I'll start new threads on the above at a later date as this is your thread

Best regards,
Mark
Hey there, I'm really digging this front bumper on the wide-body 944. It doesn't look like a GT Racing part, would this be your own design? Possibly a bumper that is mass produced? In other words... can I have one?
Old 12-01-2009, 06:45 PM
future
Banned

Hi Marc

No it's not one of ours mate it came from HansB - we are only using it for fitment and nothing else.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 12-02-2009, 01:26 AM
HJK
Pro

Mark,

great update, nice things you guys are working on...... will follow it....
Old 12-15-2009, 01:11 AM
HJK
Pro

Okay, seems like we're nearing the end of the first phase of the project after almost a year. Yesterday put in the new siemens injectors and put her on the dyno to adjust the motec to the new injectors. now tying up some bits and pieces and saturday we'll be out for the real shakedown. man o man, do I look forward to it. Although the next phase is looming already, hehe. We got 205 hp at the wheels yesterday and a bit over 300Nm of torque. Not bad for a 20 year old engine which we haven't opened up yet. While dynoing the clutch started slipping, which seems strange, its a new spec stage 2 and spec flywheel so I guess it's a question of adjustment (hope so).

here's a short Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfFWya_9pRQ
Old 12-15-2009, 01:27 AM
HJK
Pro

Ow and another thing which might be of interest to you guys. While talking with the guys from www.shark-motorsport.de about longer A-arm pins for offsetting the lowering and longer tie rod joint pins they suggested me to use 220 rear springs on the KW competition shocks. Now 220N is equivalent to 1250lbft. Currently using 140N (800 lbft), so I ordered those. That should get rid of rear end movement at high speed sweepers. Also just received their tie rod ends. see pics.

henk
Attached Images  

Last edited by HJK; 12-15-2009 at 02:19 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:41 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

interested in those headlights - details?

Quick Reply: Another 944 Project