Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 944 Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the sweetest build on RL.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:42 AM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Honestly, I'm just nervous as hell about messing them up - taking out too much material, making it out of round, making it obvious they were cut when on the car, etc.

Really, its only a fraction of material and not related to the centering of the wheel, DO NOT worry about it... I had it done at a machineshop where they also refurbish the wheels... Think it was 5 minutes work with the tires on.....

Henk
Old 08-10-2009, 11:06 PM
HJK
Pro

Just to blow back some live in the tread, been quiet for a while, we had some slow and tedious progress. After trying to fix the wiring we decided to rip it all out and redo all of it. Then the guy doing it got the latest famous flue and was out of the running for a bit, but he's at it again. very neat and tidy work I must say. Will shoot some pics later this week. After the wiring is finished we start programming the Motec. So fingers crossed for another 3 weeks or so and we should be up and running.

Attached some pics of the cleaning of the car last week.
Attached Images   
Old 08-10-2009, 11:53 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theykallmekem
those volks look sweeeet. what kind of tires are those?? the tread looks familiar.....
Falken Ziex..

Nice dry tire, but stay off the boost when wet....
Old 08-10-2009, 11:55 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Modian
Actually, they will fit 993s and up without modification; it's just our stupid hubs and dust caps that cause issues. The previous owner ran them on Turbo S hubs and spindles and says they fit without spacers. Is the Turbo S hub 2mm smaller in diameter? It uses the same dust cap, right?

Yeah, I'm focused way too much on resell for some reason. But, as you pointed out to me earlier, who cares about resell? I bought them because I loved them and I have no interest in selling them. So worry about it if I ever actually do sell them, instead of giving it emphasis now.

Honestly, I'm just nervous as hell about messing them up - taking out too much material, making it out of round, making it obvious they were cut when on the car, etc.

Right now, I'm running a 10mm spacer in the front and they look like below. I'd really like to get rid of the spacer though and get the front wheels under the fender more.

The rear end was raised and the wheels given a slight negative camber in an effort to fit the previous wheels. I need to drop it back down and get it aligned. I hate that gap.
Dude, I think your tires are on backwords.... check them... they should say OUTSIDE on the outer edge..

I have the same tire...
Old 08-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 185 Posts

Actually, my tires are Sumitomo HTR Z III. And they say OUTSIDE on the outside; I verified that several times before and after mounting them.

Your car is looking sweet, Henk!
Old 08-12-2009, 11:26 AM
HJK
Pro

Thanks Modian, its just a pain to have it creeping forward, BUT, we should run before month end!!!
Old 08-12-2009, 12:11 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 506 Posts

this thing is going to be a beast
Old 08-12-2009, 01:20 PM
msailer
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by HJK
Today they will fit the mirrors on the car, I had a dislike of the door mounted ones, be it square or teardrop and found them quite heavy. We've adjusted the M3 BMW mirrors to fit in the corner of the window. Quite okay I think and light as a feather.
Love the mirrors. I was taking a look at how they get mounted on the BMW.

How did you end up mounting them to the door frame? Any pictures?

Thanks
Mark
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2009, 01:44 PM
HJK
Pro

msailer, we didn't find a nice solution and ended up putting a triangle plate inside, will make some pics later on. It works for the track car with fixed windows but not for a daily driver. Will come back with pics.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:49 PM
HJK
Pro

Default Electricity almost done

Work has been moving on, all wiring has been laid and connected. All of it ending up in the new carbon dash (a bit shiny) and at the MOTEc display.

switches should be going in tomorrow and then we can program the motec next week and she should be running.....

Here's the pics
Attached Images      

Last edited by HJK; 08-16-2009 at 04:35 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Was searching for something else and stumbled across this thread - fantastic job. Love the cage.

One issue that struck me though was the fuel cell setup. You really ought to look into going with a recessed design that is below the rear deck. That is an awful lot of weight to be putting up that high. Also you would need to have a rear firewall fabricated. If you sprung a leak in that plumbing (does happen from time to time) there is a good chance you will be sprayed with gas - not a safe situation.
Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2009, 11:12 AM
HJK
Pro

Default First day on track

Yeah, finally the car been out on track this weekend. Although we still have quite a few things to fix, decided to run "Superclub" and does she go !!!

We put the KW's in middle position for compression and rebound and started on Friday, car felt good, cornering is sweet neutral. Have to get used to power oversteer by accelerating to early so adjust a bit here.

One problem is locking up of the rear brakes, I don't get to full usage of the fronts and the rears will lock up nastily, so swapped the brake bias back to 5/18 from 5/33 but no real difference, loosened up the rear rebound a bit but that doesnt help too, so guess I'll have to take the rear calipers apart to see whats biting....

Any suggestions welcome. Using 993 TT rotors and 928 calipers on front.

Attached some pictures.

After this weekend shake down, following on to do list.

Change injectors coz current ones are running over 90%
Change fuel rail
Build in electronic ignition (MSD)
Reprogram the MOTEC after this
Finish fire extinguisher nozzles placement

SORT OUT REAR BRAKES

start working on proper setup.

and more small stuff, all in all, very happy, we had not opened the 20 year old engine and she runs very well, instant power.

For comparison, with only 210 hp, the lap times equal those of a subaru with 300 and a BMW with 260. The BMW has the same weight and is full race, 1180, the sub is heavier. So all that after the first days make me a happy bunny.

Let me know if any suggestions on the rear lock up....
Attached Images     

Last edited by HJK; 10-25-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:35 PM
n_hall
Racer

that looks amazing. you should post some engine pictures.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:01 PM
HJK
Pro

Will do that but she's standard, so don't have high expectations. We didn't even open the engine up before all this, only cleaned the outside and painted the cam cover red. Then had the MAF put in but thats been replaced by MAP for the MOTEC.

Give me a few days....

Quick Reply: Another 944 Project