Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling my 944 S or trade 52,000 miles!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009 | 04:11 PM
RED87944S
Racer

Default Selling my 944 S or trade 52,000 miles!

So i am done trying to get this car to run...after replacing the gasket and lifters,now the car is not getting spark...i will tell you the whole truth about this car..right now i had it at the porsche dealer and they check everything out for me and could not tell me what the problem is for sure..they want me to buy a $1700 DME from germany FOR START..screw that,i just paid them like $500 for checking things out,the motor has good compression..but its not geting spark to the spark plugs..

let me continue,i got the car like 4,5 months ago,it ran,and one day it started making lifter noise rattling,thats when i decided to stop running it and try to figure out what it was,i took the head off,i wish i never did,it was my first time ever..

The car clutch failed after i got it,it was still rubber kind..
i had bran new clutch kit put it by a porche machanic..
this car has performance cat back,chip...
the car dose have a dent in the front left side fender,it was left on a lift for too long..
new tires and rims..

IF ANYONE IS WILLING TO TRADE FOR A HIGHER MILES 944 TURBO POSSIBLY,LET ME KNOW I MIGHT CONSIDER IT..

i will probly part the car out instead of selling it because i want to get all 7 grand out of it,and i think i can get more,because of the low miles..

if anyone wants to come check it out let me know,no problem..
Attached Images       
Old 01-15-2009 | 04:24 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Ya gotta be a paid member to list your car for sale. Ditto if you decide to sell the parts
Old 01-15-2009 | 04:39 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

looks like its in great shape...

so it has custom exhaust, custom chip, fresh gasket and lifters, good compression...does the fuel flow?

try checking the ignition coil. mine died on me and i couldn't get spark.

or maybe the chip is your problem? do you have the original chip still? try swapping that back in
Old 01-15-2009 | 04:48 PM
CPR
Race Director

This sounds like the typical S & R sensor issue, nothing more. Have those been replaced? And the harnesses for the same?
Old 01-15-2009 | 04:49 PM
jstand22
Pro

where are you located?

Don't part it just because of no spark
Partrick is right about the speed and reference sensors.

Don't take it to the dealer anymore, find a good independent Porsche mechanic in your area, and tell him to check your speed and reference sensors.
Old 01-15-2009 | 05:31 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

I agree with the others, take it to an indy and get it fixed.
I find it hard to believe you'd get anywhere near 7 grand parting it out particularly if the engine doesn't run....
I should know as I'm parting out an 89 S2 w/ only 61K on the clock and I haven't made 2 grand yet (I am keeping the engine and tranny though...)
Old 01-15-2009 | 05:32 PM
kdjones2000
Instructor

When you took the head off, did you disconnect the Speed and Reference sensors? You can very easily swap the two, and get a no start condition as stated above.

Lots of people here who can help with this, plus check on Clark's Garage.

Good luck,

Keith
Old 01-15-2009 | 05:37 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

From: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

Please don't part the car. That would be a waste.
Old 01-15-2009 | 05:57 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Man you are so close. Please do not give up because of no spark. Great advice above. Take it to an indy and get it done. I feel terrible for you. This is the worst case scenario for Porsche cars of any kind. New owner goes away mad at the car, mechanic, everybody. It does the most damage to our marque, but ruins life for the technician as well.
Right now is the perfect opportunity for a good shop to step in and make your life so much better and earn a customer for life.
I did not notice where you are from but maybe somebody here could offer a referance to a good shop.
Stick with it. I know how you feel.
Old 01-15-2009 | 06:16 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

As stated....you likely have the speed and ref sensors wrong...don't give up. The chip shouldn't be the cause.
Old 01-15-2009 | 06:31 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am sorry you have given up on the car. You are very close to getting it running after all. Maybe set it aside for a couple of weeks so you can forget about the problems the car did have. Then try some things with help from this forum. I agree with the others that parting the car may get you more than just selling it but I doubt anywhere near seven thousand dollars. Its tough to get good money for an engine that cannot be proven to run.
Old 01-15-2009 | 06:47 PM
RED87944S
Racer

Originally Posted by CPR
This sounds like the typical S & R sensor issue, nothing more. Have those been replaced? And the harnesses for the same?
i been tolled that not they have not been replaced,matter a fact there were sparks flying when you crank the motor by one of the sensors at the top..
Old 01-15-2009 | 06:51 PM
RED87944S
Racer

Originally Posted by jstand22
where are you located?

Don't part it just because of no spark
Partrick is right about the speed and reference sensors.

Don't take it to the dealer anymore, find a good independent Porsche mechanic in your area, and tell him to check your speed and reference sensors.
i dont trust anyone anymore..these ****** at porche could not even put everything back together,and they drained my oil,i did not even ask for a compression test i just tolled them to check why theres no spark..and they did not drop the paper of the stuff they did like i said,looks like i am gonna be making another visit to them..

I am in PA,carlisle,17013 zip..i dont have the drive to work on it anymore,i took the head off 2 times..i dont know what to do..i cant spend anymore money on it..
Old 01-15-2009 | 06:57 PM
RED87944S
Racer

looks like i might take the intake manifold of one more time and take look at the sensors..

the DME relay seems to be dead,i can get the fuel pumpin with emergency starter,but no spark..first i had spark at the main single coil,but it only showed up one time when u start cranking the engine..they at the dealer also tolled me that the timing belt was off by 2..
Old 01-15-2009 | 07:29 PM
blown 944
Race Car

you just need to get someone familiar with these to help.

sounds just like a S/R problem since you have done the jumper.

take a look at clarks-garage.com and really take some time looking at the speed and reference sensors and the condition of them. Gap them right and then crank before re installing the head with the fuel pump fuse removed. Check for spark then (install a spare plug with the electrode grounded) and make sure the correct sensor is connected together.

Quick Reply: Selling my 944 S or trade 52,000 miles!