Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Petition to "ban" topics that are "non-technical" threads/posts to a technical forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008 | 11:56 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kiyoskia
Did you HAVE to tell us in a second post? =P

I didn't even know there was an OT over here...every time I heard someone referring to something that was "discussed in OT", I just thought they meant "overtime"...as in when the work day ended but they were still in their garage. JFWY...but seriously...I guess I just haven't been around long enough to shoot the **** in OT.

I used to frequent TampaRacing.com, but I haven't been on TR since I found RL.
OT is available for paying members only, that's why you don't see it.
Old 02-26-2008 | 03:00 PM
kiyoskia

Originally Posted by whalebird
It was only as needed as your post asking me if it was needed.
That was the joke. Thanks for pointing it out.

The amount of "Rennlist-productivity-killing" activity on here isn't that bad. Sure, there's some BS here and there but it could be worse. I swear on everything that's holy, the Honda/Acura section of TampaRacing.com has a sticky about "ppl n0t tlakin lyk dis". Trust me...having to decipher every word of a sentence to decide if it's worthy of one's time is far more painstaking than any of the BS you'd find around here.
Old 02-26-2008 | 03:35 PM
whalebird
Race Car

I agree 100% kiyoskia. That is why I became a member. Having been a user for some time and finding myself returning for the great content both technical and OT, I needed to pay up. I am proud I did. This is a great forum. I would be careful with any thread procluded by "petition to ban..." . After this thread I would rather read "I know this is OT, but...". I feel kinda dumb evean posting in this thread as I protest it at the same time. I hope the admin will let this one go down the list ASAP. Lets talk about timing belts, oil filters, rear hatches or something.
Old 02-26-2008 | 03:56 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Whalebird, do you know why this forum is as "clean" as it is right now? It takes a lot of work to get it this way due to moderators and rennlisters not putting up with people trashing this site especially when the average age on the 944 tech section is about 22-23 years old. There are a few "post ******" who post LOTS of useless comments/topics, agitators who bash everything that is not a stock 951/944, and some instigators digging up old threads due to some personal disagreements with others. If you think this thread is useless, I guess more people like myself will move on as others have in the past. Heck, maybe I should delete my past threads and posts altogether. People with information don't need to post here and I do it because I know the frustration of working on these cars. However, my patience is limited just like Tifo, Socal (sometimes I feel like he is still lurking around here), and a list of others. If you don't believe me, check the 944 hybrid boards (some of these guys also know EVERY single nut and bolt on the car intimately LITERALLY) and pelican. If you want to check who actually contribute useful information to this site, do a search under user name. There is a reason why the board is as good as it is right now. It wasn't this way just a couple weeks ago. Search under "rock" and others who he was feuding with. I NEVER go to the OT section as I have never seen anything good coming out of it other than people pissed off at one another.
Old 02-26-2008 | 04:22 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Seems kinda simple to me.

*If you want to discuss OT, go to the OT forum.

*If you want to chat, go to the chat room.

*If you want to sell something, post it in the classified section.

*If you want to discuss technical information, post here in the tech forum.

There is a time and place for everything. A little banter or friendly ribbing adds character to the tech forum, but ya gotta know when to stop. It's a crowded room in here, be considerate of the needs and wants of others.

Dan probably had the best advice of all...preview the content of your post. If you don't think it will add any value to the thread, delete it.
Old 02-26-2008 | 04:26 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by shiners780
Seems kinda simple to me.

*If you want to discuss OT, go to the OT forum.

*If you want to chat, go to the chat room.

*If you want to sell something, post it in the classified section.

*If you want to discuss technical information, post here in the tech forum.

There is a time and place for everything. A little banter or friendly ribbing adds character to the tech forum, but ya gotta know when to stop. It's a crowded room in here, be considerate of the needs and wants of others.

Dan probably had the best advice of all...preview the content of your post. If you don't think it will add any value to the thread, delete it.

Well, here is waht I have to say about that.................................................................... ........................................................................ ........................................................................ .....................................................deleted.
Old 02-26-2008 | 04:31 PM
whalebird
Race Car

My hats off to the moderators and listers who have kept this site clean. I Benefit from that in ways I may not fully understand. How do you know the average age of the 944 tech users. Is there a demographic data compiled in any part of this site, and if so, how could I view it? This site is Heads and shoulders above Ford-truck enthusiast forums that I also frequent. Really hostel at times.
Old 02-26-2008 | 04:37 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by whalebird
My hats off to the moderators and listers who have kept this site clean. I Benefit from that in ways I may not fully understand. How do you know the average age of the 944 tech users. Is there a demographic data compiled in any part of this site, and if so, how could I view it? This site is Heads and shoulders above Ford-truck enthusiast forums that I also frequent. Really hostel at times.
I am 47, going in to 18.
Old 02-26-2008 | 04:44 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by lart951
I am 47, going in to 18.
What? I missed your b-day??
Old 02-26-2008 | 05:05 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
What? I missed your b-day??
You would be a good moderator, Randy is getting too old, you seen the movie Grumpy old man?
Old 02-26-2008 | 05:13 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Maybe it's just me but this was attempted at least once or twice over the years and always went back to people liking the looser format of tech/non-tech under one roof. I even prodded John into making one of the changes and it was a complete failure. I can see Legos point completely though. He has provided some of the best help and input over the years. Many tech questions drop to page 2 unanswered before many of us even get home from work due to the sheer volume of unrelated posts here. I'm guilty myself for posting fluff and Porsche GTG's and runs...those seem to take on a life of their own and hit 10 pages before I even start my car. I would be content with better links and references to FAQ and DIY sections like Clarks and Pelican for new members. It gets frustrating to see the same questions over and over about wheel size, sunroof problems, and more NA power. If these basic links and 'search first' were posted as stickies many new 944 owners might find it helpful only if they saw them. There will always be topic drift but I feel more tech focus would be a good thing. Maybe I'm just old and cranky or I've overstayed my welcome here.
Old 02-26-2008 | 05:20 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Maybe I'm just old and cranky or I've overstayed my welcome here.
Hey, at least you are honest.
Old 02-26-2008 | 07:51 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Read this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/147547-lots-of-new-people-lately-let-s-do-a-get-to-know-each-other-post-for-new-and-old.html and you will have a good idea who is who here. There have been threads here where age was polled. Also, many of the people mentioned they are still going to school or just going to college. And then there are the older guys like me who are old enough to have kids their age.
Old 02-27-2008 | 10:02 AM
whalebird
Race Car

I am 37. I've been in the car business (Porsche, Benz, BMW) for 22 years. Needless to say Its all I've done. I know Porsche cars very well - I know Porsche people pretty good. The younger ignorant crowd can be frustrating. I(maybe all of us)have been there and as Jackson Brown says"I've met all the fools a young fool meets..." I truley value the opinion and experiance found here.
Old 02-27-2008 | 10:11 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

I vote we ban this thread.

Quick Reply: Petition to "ban" topics that are "non-technical" threads/posts to a technical forum