Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Petition to "ban" topics that are "non-technical" threads/posts to a technical forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008 | 05:01 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

I have waited awhile to weigh in. This board seems to consistently have one of the largest followings of any in Rennlist. Since I have other P-cars, I know that it might take days or hours to get a response on other boards; here it's more like minutes. Some of the alleged OT stuff is somewhat immature or inappropriate, some is just folks being themselves. However, I feel closer to folks on this board because of both technical and "OT" posts. I've met more friends through this board than any of the others and I've received more help here as well. It seems that this thing is working pretty well for me. If it ain't broke...
Old 02-22-2008 | 06:46 PM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Personally, I couldn't care less what people want to talk about. Other than separating catagories into car models (944, 911, etc.,) I see no need for subcatagories like "off topic." If the subject looks interesting, I can click on it (or ignore.) My biggest rants are the multitude of open-ended threads in this forum. Nothing is more frustrating than to be working on a problem only to search your a$$ off and find threads that describe your problem exactly, only to end something like: "I'm taking it to the dealership to see what they say the problem is, and I'll post the results," and never get back to the thread to post the findings/solution. What good is starting a thread if you're not going to follow up and post what solved the problem? About 80% of the threads end this way. Second peeve is people telling others to "do a search," when it would take only a little more effort to answer the question. There can always be new angles on old problems that someone may be able to contribute.
Guess I'm an "old-timer" here, but I go back to the days of IceShark, Martin Taylor, Thaddeus, Hans, Cooper and others, who'd run out to their cars and disassemble a part just to be able to instruct someone on how to reassemble theirs!

Rant off.

--Lizard
Old 02-22-2008 | 08:52 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Vince has a good point. The 944 board is already dying as it is and if it is over moderated I think you might as well put a fork in it.
Old 02-22-2008 | 09:42 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yellowline
I think there are people within the 944 community mature enough to do the job.
Really? Where? Most of them don't spend enough time here to be mods.

Originally Posted by yellowline
Honestly, it is discouraging to come here with a tech question and have 1-2 responses, but see 5 pages of armchair discussion on how fast an NA can go. Maybe that's my fault for asking obscure questions that only early 944 guys can help with, though.
Have you ever been to other forums? VWvortex, for example? That's all they have there. If you think it's bad here, don't ever get a vw. This place is glorious.

The forum isn't dying, it's changing. New people are coming in and we need to be role models and teachers. Or else they will shape the forum to the way they feel like. We need to learn to be polite, instructive, helpful, and assertive.
Old 02-23-2008 | 01:32 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Really? Where? Most of them don't spend enough time here to be mods.
Hacker stepped up to the plate. I don't go into 928 much, but he seems to be a positive contributor for them.

Have you ever been to other forums? VWvortex, for example? That's all they have there. If you think it's bad here, don't ever get a vw. This place is glorious.

The forum isn't dying, it's changing. New people are coming in and we need to be role models and teachers. Or else they will shape the forum to the way they feel like. We need to learn to be polite, instructive, helpful, and assertive.
Haven't really been to non-Porsche forums, doesn't mean we can't hold ourselves to a high standard.

It is dying, with respect to the fact that we haven't really figured out how to keep the old-timers around. I'm no pro, but I know I'd rather answer 5 questions about easily searched topics (oil drain plug torque, for example) than see "can this Kia keep up with my 944?"
Old 02-23-2008 | 01:17 PM
whalebird
Race Car

After 22 yrs. in the Porsche business I have seen some really stupid behavior on the streets. People do dumb things when they see a Porsche and the first thing an inexperienced driver does when they get in any kind of Porsche is see how fast it will go. This should be frowned upon. People young and old come to this stellar forum for advice and they usually get it evan if it is OT. A firm scolding on safety issues should be embraced as it can only be good advice. I've had this at every drivers meeting from DE to club races to Daytona. If this offends the offender then there are lots of street racing Idiots to talk to. These guys ruin our persona in the public view-I've heard people at shows, races, etc. mumble under their breath "not another one of those guys..." as someone pulls up in a Porsche. I say keep it as it is and thicken your skin a little. I am agasp at the vast knowledge base on Rennlist. This includes the old guys(like me) who cannot stand the gross ignorance of the dangerous youth. They come here for advice so they should get it evan if it hurts.
I am guilty of being inflamatory and I deeply regret hurting anyone old or newb that has come here for insight into our COMMUNITY. I will think twice before posting. I will now promptly click the "join rennlist" icon and show my support for Rennlist as it is NOW. Thanks for enduring my rant and keep it as it is. We can't let this turn into another Pelican. You guys are awesome and I have come to rely on you for help and freindship.
Old 02-23-2008 | 01:26 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Just paid for membership
Old 02-25-2008 | 11:43 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

I am so amazed. Randy, thanks for sticking this thread on top. It seems like its pretty effective as most of the irritating threads are gone. Wow, what a fresh breath of air. Its like L. A. without smog or rush hour traffic!
Old 02-25-2008 | 03:18 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Another thing that would really help the person posting a topic, as well as people looking to help or searching in the future is if they would be more descriptive with keywords in the title. Searching posts is usually pretty useless in y experience because too many turn up that are irrelevant. Sometimes serching titles only works, but sometimes you get very little.

Here's an example- instead of something like "Oh my God I am so screwed", try something like "Battery charging problem- won't stay charged"
Old 02-25-2008 | 04:28 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by kevincnc
Another thing that would really help the person posting a topic, as well as people looking to help or searching in the future is if they would be more descriptive with keywords in the title. Searching posts is usually pretty useless in y experience because too many turn up that are irrelevant. Sometimes serching titles only works, but sometimes you get very little.

Here's an example- instead of something like "Oh my God I am so screwed", try something like "Battery charging problem- won't stay charged"
That's an obvious improvement that is so often ignored! Good point!
Old 02-25-2008 | 07:56 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
I too dislike the childish, meaningless replies and they really make Renny a poor read. BUT-As a counter point, I do not support moderating this forum down to the point we can only discuss purely TECHNICAL issues. There is a lot of life, friendship, experiences shared, and advice given here, amongst a brotherhood of folks who have a 944 variant in their lives. To eliminate anything not discussing cold hard mechanical facts would absolutely kill this forum. It does constantly evolve, and the new blood , good or bad, brings new flavor. Rennlist's OT is not suitable for "fringe" topics, as it invites many non-waterboy types to contribute and often destroy a topic. If there was a non-tech 944 forum, then maybe we could have meaningless waterboy chat there. BUT-If the moderators came down hard and shut off all non-tech topics, this board could become a **** state where anyone treading near the edges would be zapped. I'd really hate to see that. Please, do as I do, and only open the threads that sound like something you are interested in. It is my opinion we really don't need any stricter laws in here.
For example, if you ban non technical threads, we could not discuss 944fest or any other Porsche show or gathering. That would be a huge blow against building the brotherhood and encouraging friendship and camaraderie.
Beat me to it buddy!
Old 02-25-2008 | 08:04 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
I visit here 1/10th of the amount I used too. Just too much negative energy flying around. Unfortunately, complaints about content, right or wrong, fall into that negative contribution pile.
Word...

I'm obviously not hear much anymore as I just read and replied to this post! See above
Old 02-26-2008 | 09:39 AM
kiyoskia

Originally Posted by whalebird
Just paid for membership
Did you HAVE to tell us in a second post? =P

I didn't even know there was an OT over here...every time I heard someone referring to something that was "discussed in OT", I just thought they meant "overtime"...as in when the work day ended but they were still in their garage. JFWY...but seriously...I guess I just haven't been around long enough to shoot the **** in OT.

I used to frequent TampaRacing.com, but I haven't been on TR since I found RL.
Old 02-26-2008 | 10:30 AM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Quite frankly, folks should be happy that this forum has some activity and users that post frequently. On another forum for my other car I posted up a request for assistance on a vac line routing issue... crickets. 23 views, no answer. I ended up going to autotrader to find engine bay pics... simple question - is this connection capped or not? I'll take whatever this forum gives us... sometimes out of shear boredom.
Old 02-26-2008 | 11:05 AM
whalebird
Race Car

It was only as needed as your post asking me if it was needed.
This thread has become the absolute most unneeded on the entire Rennlist.
I think I will go see what the 911 guys are talking about. Different caliber of threads alltogether

Quick Reply: Petition to "ban" topics that are "non-technical" threads/posts to a technical forum