Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Petition to "ban" topics that are "non-technical" threads/posts to a technical forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Petition to "ban" topics that are "non-technical" threads/posts to a technical forum

Sifting through threads that are non technical on this list is getting to be a little much for me. I hope this will bring some attention and change. I search around trying to share information with others that I learned through years of wrenching on these cars. I have to admit I have contributed to some of these irrevalent threads as some topic are pet peeves of mine and hits a nerve. Therefore, I like to see a list of things of what you guys consider "non technical" and should not be allowed as a thread or post. These are some of the threads/posts I see which I consider are non technical or agitatory in nature and should be in the OT forums.

Display of speed or threads/posts RELATED to speed which are well documented and can easily be searched online incuding 1/4 MILE TIMES, TOP SPEEDS, and acceleration times.

Comparison threads including which car is faster mine or this other guys car threads and "I beat x type of car today" or "this guy challenged me that my car is faster than yours" thread/posts.

Ebay/Craigslist findings

Bashing of other kinds of cars/modifications (v8 conversions, Hondas, "distasteful" modifications, as being "rice", etc. I find these threads to be unwelcoming and inflammatory.

I hope I am not the only one feeling this way. Please chime in if you agree or disagree.

Last edited by Legoland951; 02-19-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:27 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

For whatever it's worth...

Exhibition of speed and reckless driving threads are already supposed to be forbidden. But, for whatever reason, they pop up anyway. They should be locked quickly although they are often kept alive by a large number of people posting to tell the guy that such threads are forbidden and that he is a douschebag.

Ebay/Craigslist findings don't really bother me all that much. Yeah, they pop up every so often but by themselves I really don't think they're all that hard to not click on.

Bashing other cars is pretty much poor taste anyway, plus it makes us look like a bunch of stereotypical wannabe Porsche snobs. In many cases I think they can just be moved to OT since they often lack genuine 944 content. However, I'm also a little hesitant to agree to ban all such threads because a good discussion on such things is a good thing and where does one draw the line between disagreement and bashing?

BB.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

The frequency of these ebay/craigslist posts is what bothers me. If I post every interesting ad on CL or ebay that is 944 related or if I post everything I have for sale on CL or ebay, this forum would be chocked.

What I see is the unwelcoming and inflammatory nature of those bashing threads/posts. Personal tastes should be as such, personal, and there is really nothing technical about it. These threads/posts turn this place into a brain washing conform to my taste or you are not in my clique forum. It doesn't bother me that someone posts what they have done to their car. I just don't like other people interjecting their negative non technical opinion and comments like "barf", "rice", etc as it adds nothing. It irritates me enough and to post rebuttals to such useless threads.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:47 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i agree with all of the above. I also see why they end up here. This is like the "spot" to hang out and even if its supposed to be technical only alot of people stick w/ the crowd they know. I hardly ever go to OT or any of the other boards besides turbo.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:57 PM
moorepower
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with most of your suggestions. Things do seem to be getting a little negative and bitchy on here lately. I would disagree on the points of ebay/craigslist finds, which can possibly help somebody find a good deal, and perhaps the opinions on mods, etc, if opinions are asked for, such as "What do you think of my new 34 inch Turbo Simulating, Stick-on Sunroof, LED Lug Nuts?".
Old 02-19-2008, 11:02 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

I too dislike the childish, meaningless replies and they really make Renny a poor read. BUT-As a counter point, I do not support moderating this forum down to the point we can only discuss purely TECHNICAL issues. There is a lot of life, friendship, experiences shared, and advice given here, amongst a brotherhood of folks who have a 944 variant in their lives. To eliminate anything not discussing cold hard mechanical facts would absolutely kill this forum. It does constantly evolve, and the new blood , good or bad, brings new flavor. Rennlist's OT is not suitable for "fringe" topics, as it invites many non-waterboy types to contribute and often destroy a topic. If there was a non-tech 944 forum, then maybe we could have meaningless waterboy chat there. BUT-If the moderators came down hard and shut off all non-tech topics, this board could become a **** state where anyone treading near the edges would be zapped. I'd really hate to see that. Please, do as I do, and only open the threads that sound like something you are interested in. It is my opinion we really don't need any stricter laws in here.
For example, if you ban non technical threads, we could not discuss 944fest or any other Porsche show or gathering. That would be a huge blow against building the brotherhood and encouraging friendship and camaraderie.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:02 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Guilty as charged on the CL postings. I like reading them. I like posting them. I also realize posting them only drives the prices up of things I/neighbors am/are generally interested in.

Wait a second, this is not a technical thread, ban Legoland .
Old 02-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Read my original post. I am not promoting a **** state banning ALL non technical info. I am asking what you guys think should not be here and stated the ones I think should be banned.

Michael, I do a 36 item search on 4 different CL areas at least 10 times a day. I pass on most of them and can easily post them up here as they are good deals to me.

I agree with you Dan if the posts are technical in nature such as "your 24 inch wheel wil rub against the fender" but I don't think opinion posts like "what do you think of my LED lug nuts" should be here as there is nothing technical about it and is nothing more than opinions. Its nature invite debate as personal taste is very different. I remember several guys whos first posts were of their cars with body/engine modifications and were so turned off by the negative responses like "barf", "OMG what a piece of @rap", "rice", etc that they left and never looked back.

If the people in charge care, generally one person with negative reviews of a product or experience will tell 10 people on average and only 3 people if they experience something positive.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:09 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guilty on many accounts.

But, I completely agree with you, Frank. I'm all for banning the non-technical discussion.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't really get posts like this. If you don't like a thread - don't read it. I am not a big fan of the opinion LED lug nuts so I just ignore them. I scan through the threads - read the ones that seem interesting to me and if they turn sour or bitchy I don't pay any attention to them. Why let them bother you - you're not obligated to read them and it's not difficult to ignore the ones that don't interest you. Rennlist has had streaks of bitchiness since the days of the email lists - that's just human nature and is never going to go away. Actually I think Rennlist has a pretty good signal to noise compared to most other car forums.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Have you been to pelican lately? The signal to noise ratio on this site is decreasing, which is my point.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:22 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

One other thing- Always, before I click the "post" button, I think to myself, "Am I making a positive contribution to this forum?". If I am not, I simply delete it. Guys who chime in enzo, rice, lambo, crap, whatever seem to be wasting space and spreading a negative vibe. I don't expect everyone to do that, but if they did Renny would be a much happier place. I visit here 1/10th of the amount I used too. Just too much negative energy flying around. Unfortunately, complaints about content, right or wrong, fall into that negative contribution pile.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Originally Posted by Skip Wolfe
I don't really get posts like this. If you don't like a thread - don't read it.
Thats what I was thinking. But what do I know, i don't even have a paid membership.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:25 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everything except posting a "why hasn't someone bought this yet?" deal.

If you find a $6k 951 needing nothing about to end on eBay, I don't mind seeing it posted.

The occasional Saratoga top, OK.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

I have not. I gave up on it a while ago because of lack of activity. The 944Turbo forum gets about 3 posts per day, and the regular 944, while better, is still pretty slow and threads that interest me are few and far between. Don't get me wrong, I didn't say Rennlist had the best S/N ratio, just better than most. There are some like Cornercarvers that have excellent tech content with minimal BS but sites like that are fairly few and far between. Go check out some of the BMW, Evo, Subaru, etc. forums.

Quick Reply: Petition to "ban" topics that are "non-technical" threads/posts to a technical forum