Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Petition to "ban" topics that are "non-technical" threads/posts to a technical forum

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 03:15 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

+1!

and OT is a piranha tank.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:58 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
+1!

and OT is a piranha tank.
Believe it or not the gays in OT can handle larts' heat. Nothing but wussies there.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:04 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bart
I frequent a board where the owner of the board will not allow you to even mention the word EBAY because he feels everyone should search ebay themselves, everyday, like he does, and find their own deals. I'm not kidding....he will ban you if you use that word. But you can use "auction site" and it's no problem.

He and the moderators rule the board with an iron fist, the exact polar opposite of this board, will not allow or tolerate general discusssions, no politics or hot button issues are allowed to be raised in their Off Topic area, must only be automotive topics and has probably banned more people than there are current members.

It's not a very relaxing atmoshere, so not too many people frequent the board, resulting in not much information being shared.

I would hate to see this board head in that general direction. I don't understand the need for this thread even, since the moderators seem to do a damn good job of keeping things straight around here.

Why don't you just apply to John D. to be a moderator instead? He seems to have a pretty good read on most people around here and can probably decide for himself if you would be a good mod.

Oh, BTW, the guy with that other board I mentioned?.....he doesn't even own a model of the car the board deals with. But he does have a 928.

Hey i know that board it's called The devil drives a 928
Old 03-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

If anyone sees a thread here that they feel is not appropriate for this technical forum, please feel free to send me a confidential PM (including the thread link) and I'll review it and 'fix' it if required.

Unschticking.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:49 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy V
If anyone sees a thread here that they feel is not appropriate for this technical forum, please feel free to send me a confidential PM (including the thread link) and I'll review it and 'fix' it if required.

Unschticking.
That's funny.....when I reported one of the 'kill stories' threads, nothing happened. I did not even get a reply. At this point, I'm pretty disgusted with this forum.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh snap.

maybe aribop needs a time out for speaking out against "the man"
Old 03-24-2008, 09:05 PM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy V

Unschticking.
I'm not so sure that unilateral censorship is the answer here either. I think if I were a moderator, I'd use my censorship privileges sparingly. Possibly for extreme violations such as vulgarity or intentionally picking fights. Things like "Hey, look at my new wheels," could be considered something to "fix," but it may be important to that person. I remember 18 years ago-- when I first picked up the 944--going out to the garage late at night just to get one more look! Although off topic in nature, I don't mind things like posting pics of new toys being on the main list. One thing that used to torque me off about AOL moderators, was that you could post the most heinous liberal comments, but if you said anything remotely conservative, your post would be 'phasered' into oblivion. Needless to say, I dropped them like a hot oil pan plug.
I suppose if this were a site without paying members, then a dictatorship government would be more palatable. I think the large majority of 'listers' are paying members, so the site should give a little latitude for OT stuff, as long as it stays relevant to the marque. Then again, I could be way off base from what other 'listers' feel. Other than this thread, and an occasional rant, I haven't seen any structured vote, or even a poll on this....the kind of poll with pie-charts, numbers, facts & figures.....and not a thread like this one.

My $.02

--Lizard
Old 03-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by aribop
That's funny.....when I reported one of the 'kill stories' threads, nothing happened. I did not even get a reply. At this point, I'm pretty disgusted with this forum.
I'm sure you didn't report it to me.

If you want something done don't use the Report Post button.

Like I said, send me a PM.

I typically use a light hand when moving or deleting stuff.

If the topic is in any way related to the Porsche model discussed on the particular forum - e.g. wheels, GTG's, garage makeovers, seat covers, whatever, it usually stays.

Use your judgement when starting a new thread. If a topic does get moved or deleted it means your judgement was not very good.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:02 PM
Opeth
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Randy save us!
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you Randy for making this a sticky a while back. Things have gotten a lot better than when I first posted this. I don't see any more 5 year old threads dug up by feuding members and no more people bashing/infantile comments nor 5 ebay/craigslist finds at any given time on a page. I think you are doing a great job. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Opeth
Randy save us!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
Believe it or not the gays in OT can handle larts' heat. Nothing but wussies there.
Nicely said.

Now I remember why I dont visit the technical forums anymore.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:04 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

excuse me but isnt this a non-technical thread in a technical thread

anyone see the irony in this ?
Old 03-26-2008, 12:22 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by adrian_jaye
excuse me but isnt this a non-technical thread in a technical thread

anyone see the irony in this ?

Actually, it's a non-technical thread discussing non-technical threads in a technical forum.

So, the non-technicals cancel and it becomes a technical thread.

Technical forum algebra 101, dude!

Quick Reply: Petition to "ban" topics that are "non-technical" threads/posts to a technical forum