Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Petition to "ban" topics that are "non-technical" threads/posts to a technical forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 11:01 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^+1
Old 02-28-2008, 12:56 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by shiners780
Seems kinda simple to me.

*If you want to discuss OT, go to the OT forum.

*If you want to chat, go to the chat room.

*If you want to sell something, post it in the classified section.

*If you want to discuss technical information, post here in the tech forum.

There is a time and place for everything. A little banter or friendly ribbing adds character to the tech forum, but ya gotta know when to stop. It's a crowded room in here, be considerate of the needs and wants of others.

Dan probably had the best advice of all...preview the content of your post. If you don't think it will add any value to the thread, delete it.
Pretty much sums it up. But not everyone knows/realizes this.

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
It gets frustrating to see the same questions over and over about wheel size, sunroof problems, and more NA power. If these basic links and 'search first' were posted as stickies many new 944 owners might find it helpful only if they saw them.
I agree this could be helpful... but then we'd have to have like 30 stickies. Maybe one sticky, with a list of FAAAQs (Frequently Asked Already Answered Questions). Each question can be followed by a link that leads to a search . I know when I go onto other forums with a question in mind (mercedes, vw, etc.) I would find it convenient to have an FAQ right on top to check out first. But even still, I do a search until I find my answer.

The cars we're into have been around long enough that every question is answered and every issue addressed, unless it's something like a new product available.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:40 AM
kiyoskia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
I vote we ban this thread.
^ I'm with Stupid. =P

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
The cars we're into have been around long enough that every question is answered and every issue addressed, unless it's something like a new product available.
If everyone just used the search button, this site would be a lot less active. Not only that, but when the answer to your question lies in a thread 6 search pages and 14 months deep, it kinda makes the answer harder to get to than just asking people who could address the situation with one hand behind their back and a blindfold on...and even if you DO find that 14-month old thread and after having read it, you still have questions and decide to bring the thread "back from the grave," you end up getting flamed for grave-digging, when all you've done is just what everyone has told you to do...

Originally Posted by Everyone
Use the search function!
Old 02-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

As mentioned, I am going to be more vocal about how I and many others feel. I normally just sit back and chill but just had a bit too much a few weeks ago with all the silliness.

Kiyoskia, I guess I am one of those people can answer many questions with both hands behind my back and a blindfold on. However, when I answer the SAME question 5 or even 10 times especially about "what engine swaps are possible" and "how to turbo a n/a", it gets old. This is the same reason why some others with answers on this site replies "use the search button". The problem is people don't put themselves in the shoes of others. Apathy takes over where empathy should be. I guess this is the motto of the current generation of 944 owners. Let me ask you, Why SHOULD I shuffle through a whole bunch of BS to search for your legitimate question and give YOU an answer? Does anyone pay me for this? I guess its up to you guys who think this thread is useless to do the answering.

Here lies the answer why people don't use the search button. Laziness due to a sense of entitlement and narcissism. I don't want to work to find the answer. I want someone to come and feed it to me because I am entitled even though I come across as annoying because I don't want to put the minimal efforts to search. I would figure after 6 search pages and 14 months deep, you would be able to find your answer within the first page.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:46 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Lego, all you have to do is not answer the questions. For that matter you should just pass the thread over. Is that not what this entire rediculous thread is about in the first place. Take your blindfold and handcuffs off and just enjoy the community. I am sure you ask lots of stupid questions that I could easily answer, but I don't waste my time. I am not apothetic, I just don't waste time vicariously living inside this computer on my desk, you should'nt either. Let people search and find the answer. If you don't want to answer let me. Lots of legit people come here for help. Help if you want, if not, go for a drive down the PCH or something.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.wsw.com/webcast/jeff24/inet/

Between this post and having just listened to the above.. I feel kinda corporate and dirty. Going to go take a shower.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:57 AM
whalebird
Race Car

What?
Old 02-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Whalebird I try to do what I can to help. My definition of apathy is what you just described in "you should just pass the thread over". If everyone had that apathetic attitude, nothing would be answered. You have a lot of knowledge from your 20 years of experience, why don't you contribute some technical knowledge? Do a search of "find more posts by xxxx" and you will know who contributes and who don't. You put in 3000+ posts with a good portion of it in answering others questions and I will agree with you in calling this thread "rediculous". There is a difference between "CAN ANSWER questions blindfolded with both hands behind my back" and "blindfolded with handcuffs". I don't know where the handcuffs come into play. I am glad you don't live inside of your computer. I enjoy my 20 years of wrenching on the 100+ 944/951s I have owned so I pass the knowledge to others. I try to share information like how front strut inserts can be changed in less than 10 minutes without changing the alignment so others won't have to spend an hours doing it. Do a search on what I have posted in the past and you will see how many stupid questions I ask. The problem is I do enjoy this community and don't want to see it end up trashed like a Honda forum. Do you not agree with that?
Old 02-28-2008, 12:40 PM
whalebird
Race Car

+1 lego. Many have benefited from your help including me, if not directly, at least in the overall comradery felt here and in the close-knitted Porsche community. Please don't "move on" as you mentioned in an earlier post, and please don't pass-over any thread that a few well spoken phrases can help the many who do not have our experiance(evan if jaded). Over the years the novelty of working on these cars can wear off and simply questions can be bothersome. I can remember the great people I have met more so than the cars that brought us together. This includes you and the Rennlist community in large. These cars can make a monkey of me as much today as 22 years ago. You and our counterparts are the reason my enthusiasm thrives today beyond my "retirement" from being a Porsche technician. There are no stupid questions-just stupid answers. There are lots I could learn from your experiance. I have never met a technician I could'nt learn something from. I just would like to unstick this thread and discuss what we are going to do this upcoming season. Porsche Parade will be in Charlotte NC this year. Only 100 miles from me. Did you see anything from San Diego last year? I have never been to Parade, you have any suggestions on must-do events?
Old 03-01-2008, 12:49 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kiyoskia
If everyone just used the search button, this site would be a lot less active. Not only that, but when the answer to your question lies in a thread 6 search pages and 14 months deep, it kinda makes the answer harder to get to than just asking people who could address the situation with one hand behind their back and a blindfold on...and even if you DO find that 14-month old thread and after having read it, you still have questions and decide to bring the thread "back from the grave," you end up getting flamed for grave-digging, when all you've done is just what everyone has told you to do...
If people stop making all these new threads for old questions, you wouldn't HAVE to go through 6 pages of search results.

Be more specific in your search criteria and key words. If you're looking for info on what wheels will fit your 1983, don't search for "wheels", search for "boxster wheels offset spacers early". Then when you find a long thread, use the "search this thread" function to search for keywords.

There is nothing wrong with reviving old threads. I think this is far better than starting a new one. I've never seen anyone flamed for doing that, but people like to joke about it. But it's fine.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:35 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

I found this post on another thread, very interesting post by John D. the creator of rennlist and I believe his post relates to this thread.

Originally Posted by John D.
Rennlist has an OT forum???!!!??? I should check it out - huh???

Seriously - back on topic.....

What Perry said, is exactly right on. I guess I can (and will say that) - after nearly 11 years of running Rennlist/Porschelist. It just seems that every now and then a "forum" develops a "clique" - and a "clique" isn't what Rennlist is all about. If you are reading this post - I'll ask YOU to remember your FIRST post to Rennlist (or Porschelist - if you are that old). Remember waiting and asking yourself "...was that OK? What will others think?.. Did I post that OK?.. Will I get flamed??.......

Yea - each of us started with ONE ,(1, one, 1-2) post... And from there - this forum survived, grew and thrived...

If it's something less than a community - I'll shut it down - as that's NOT what Rennlist is all about.....

Yea - Perry's post was from the heart and to the heart.

Just my $0.000000000002

JD
Old 03-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Bart
Nordschleife Master

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I frequent a board where the owner of the board will not allow you to even mention the word EBAY because he feels everyone should search ebay themselves, everyday, like he does, and find their own deals. I'm not kidding....he will ban you if you use that word. But you can use "auction site" and it's no problem.

He and the moderators rule the board with an iron fist, the exact polar opposite of this board, will not allow or tolerate general discusssions, no politics or hot button issues are allowed to be raised in their Off Topic area, must only be automotive topics and has probably banned more people than there are current members.

It's not a very relaxing atmoshere, so not too many people frequent the board, resulting in not much information being shared.

I would hate to see this board head in that general direction. I don't understand the need for this thread even, since the moderators seem to do a damn good job of keeping things straight around here.

Why don't you just apply to John D. to be a moderator instead? He seems to have a pretty good read on most people around here and can probably decide for himself if you would be a good mod.

Oh, BTW, the guy with that other board I mentioned?.....he doesn't even own a model of the car the board deals with. But he does have a 928.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:03 AM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

What's the name of that place? Gestapo.com?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:38 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

It doesnt bother me too bad. I can understand why some topics are brought up that arent necessarily directed as a tech discussion, but dont want to be put in the holy OT forum. why?

Because people want to direct their discussion to the 944/951/968 crowd. its as simple as that.

the 944/951/968 tech board has almost as many posts as OT, with the 928 board a little behind (as usual) .... The activity is a godsend to someone new to the model type.

There is no 944/951/968 non technical discussion area. and to post some pics after washing up your car and wanting to show it off a bit, OT is the only place where its OK? thats no fun. You wont get nearly as many praises because all the people that dont think a 944 deserves the stuttgart crest are more likely to chime in, or 1-up you with their clean 911 picture, and all of that is less likely in the 944 cave we call the technical discussion. when a new guy posts pics of his new $2500 car that hes proud of, has high hopes for, can see the bigger picture. More then likely he is going to get people that share a sort of riciprocity(SP? i think i slaughtered that one) from people who GET where they are coming from. that wont happen in any other board. and its times like that when it DOES happen, that gets people to fall in love with rennlist. At least thats what happened with me.

OT is a tough crowd, i didnt even venture there my first year, and i was scared. The main page when i come on rennlist is still the 944 tech board, and if i see something i know from my past experience, i'll chime in, if im not sure, i'll head to OT and waste more time then i probably should.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:44 AM
Stien
Burning Brakes

Amen.

Quick Reply: Petition to "ban" topics that are "non-technical" threads/posts to a technical forum