Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Petition to "ban" topics that are "non-technical" threads/posts to a technical forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:54 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

It is absurd to expect not to have OT topics on this forum if the only ones that can post on the OT forum are paying members. What if a young kid an enthusiast wants to share some OT stuff, he can't post on the OT forum because me is new and is not a member so the only alternative is to post here, some of you old guys like me are ridiculous, boys have to be boys weren't you guys young? give them a break if they want to share funny stuff from time to time is okay.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy V
You woulda been gone years ago, buddy...
I know I know ....

But with Travis' rule... people can decide if they like the stuff. If its totally ridiculous, then everybody can vote to move it to OT. My stuff was pretty funny.... oh wait nevermind no it wasnt.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock
I know I know ....

But with Travis' rule....
The evil plan behind this is that most of the tech only guys are the type of people who would have to read at least 50% of thread content before pulling the hammer on a move comment. After a short time, the OT content will contaminate their tech only minds and ... pretty soon they will be posting things like "enzo" and "ohnose1111" themselves.

<evil_laugh> ... </evil_laugh>
Old 02-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I just want to know who owns ohnoes111.com and ohnoes1111.com
Old 02-21-2008, 10:29 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

I think I should be the 944 forum moderator, that would solve everything.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:29 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy V
You guys need to start coming down on the OT posters here as well.

This is YOUR forum - don't let it go to crap.
Vigilantism really doesn't work.

The guys who moderate 944 already have other boards to moderate; it's no fun to do dirty laundry belonging to other people. I would like to see a dedicated mod here, and I think there are people within the 944 community mature enough to do the job.

Honestly, it is discouraging to come here with a tech question and have 1-2 responses, but see 5 pages of armchair discussion on how fast an NA can go. Maybe that's my fault for asking obscure questions that only early 944 guys can help with, though.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:04 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Travis, my title didn't say "Petition to "ban" ALL topics that are "non-technical" threads/posts to a technical forum" AND my first post explains exactly what I mean. I don't think it can be any more clear.

Do you guys remember why the OT was created and why it was for paying members only? It wasn't only open to paying members in the beginning. Too many agitators who were not paying members used this forum as their battleground and pull a lot of hit and runs. The new guys who want to post OT, go find an OT forum somewhere else or pay to go to OT here. If you want to talk about street racing, go to a street racing forum. I don't like excluding 944 enthusiasts by blasting them out of here because their car does not conform to anyone else's taste or they want a different engine than others do. ANYONE WONDER WHY THERE IS ANOTHER FORUM FOR HYBRIDS? Most of those guys started HERE and just got tired of it all. These guys are very knowledgeable and could have still been here sharing all kinds of interesting knowledge. Some of the rennlisters are here today and gone tomorrow. Some of us intend to stay here and contribute as long as we can stand it. I know there have been a few people who left such as Socal Driver (RIP) who contributed alot before moving on to Pelican and up to heaven. I know Tifo has wandered a bit too as he was pissed off a few times. I am not perfect and have contributed some stupid posts but I try very hard to catch myself.

Back to my main point and what I believe should be removed to OT or deleted as stated in the first post (again, never said ban ALL non tech posts):

My beef with Ebay/Craigslist listing is someone is using this site to promote other commercial websites adding to things others have to sift through and pushing other's topics off faster than they can get responses to their questions (yes I have benefitted from these posts before such as the new 18x10 wheels for $50 but this is not slickdeals).

Bashing of others taste, kinds of mods, engines, etc

agitating threads containing my car had these "kills", my friend said his saturn faster than my car, is a 944 faster than a minivan, or things like these hunduh ricers need to be shot.

Speed posts where info can be easily found online

I am nobody so these are only my recommendations to the powers in charge.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
I think I should be the 944 forum moderator, that would solve everything.
You 944 doesn't run so I think this makes you a prime candidate.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:05 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
You 944 doesn't run so I think this makes you a prime candidate.
Why not? Doesn't that make me your average 944 owner?

Oh I'm kidding, put that rope away.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:17 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Why not? Doesn't that make me your average 944 owner?

Oh I'm kidding, put that rope away.
No really, it does. I am for reals.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:44 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

haven't read this entire thread, so sorry if this is Enzo... but here's an idea -

How about combining the turbo and NA tech forums and making a new 944 OT forum (for the ebay/CL postings and other 944-related OT postings, and other stuff that Legoland951 mentioned)?

I agree with what he said about what constitutes OT for a primarily technical forum.

I don't know how far back RL keeps postings... but technical & how-to info should stick around, all that ebay/CL BS should be dumped after a month or so.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Drewsifer
Racer

I read a page or two, to see what everyone is saying. I like this board just the way it is. I use it mostly for tech stuff, but it's cool to see real life stories about driving, get togethers, and other things. I don't know if this has been pointed out, but banning people for being intolerant (ie: the flammers) is in itself a terrible bit of intolerance. We're all old enough to own cars, so we're old enough to have our own opinions. And while it's annoying as all get out sometimes to see somebody flame a car they don't like, I 110% think they should be allowed to. Maybe we should petition to change the nature of the board to something more like a 944 Community Board?
Old 02-22-2008, 11:27 AM
sbyrne
Racer

My .02 - since I've only been here for a couple of years, and only a few months as a paying member, I don't have a strong opinion about a lot of this. The one exception - I DO believe, as an SCCA Solo Safety Steward, and a grown up - ANY and ALL references to street racing should be gone the moment they post. Had another situation just last week, this time in the D.C. area, where several people were killed when a non-participant came onto a street racing scene, got lost in the burnout smoke, and plowed into a bunch of spectators. Take it to the track, kids!
Old 02-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

If your topic contains absolutely no 924/944/951/968... 'stuff', then it should not be posted here.

Simple.

Moderate yourselves so that others don't have to.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Stien
Burning Brakes

This is funny, people just post in the thread title "sorry for not being technical", isn't this worse? I didn't mind it the way it was, there's enough to look at in OT, so go there!

Quick Reply: Petition to "ban" topics that are "non-technical" threads/posts to a technical forum