Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Petition to "ban" topics that are "non-technical" threads/posts to a technical forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:38 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Dan P, I was thinking exactly what you stated. I hope something gets done and finalized so even threads like this one is deleted AFTER its intended purpose is done.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:55 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that some threads are a waste of time, but sometimes they can get pretty entertaining and you don't have to continue reading them if you don't want to. This forum would be pretty boring without the humor. I personally try to stick to technical topics, but sometimes it's just too hard for some people to keep a smart-*** comment from coming out (guilty). When it's between friends, they get it. When someone is just plain being a dick to someone they don't know (or do know for that matter) that doesn't belong in my opinion. I don't look at or post in OT because I don't have time or the superior intellect required to "hang out" there. I think there's a good balance between technical and entertainment in the 944 forum. If you're using this as a purely information-gathering tool by searching regularly for specific topics, maybe you're asking too much of a free resource? ($20/year is free)

I think the moderators do a pretty good job at a difficult and subjective task. Maybe more sub-topics could be made for some the topics that you mention, and threads that are really technically worthless could be moved there instead of OT after the first few days of entertainment?

Oh now I’ve gone and answered a non-technical post with a non-technical reply.

J/K
Old 02-19-2008, 11:59 PM
944-LT1
Racer

I agree with all of your original post. Here here to all of it.

These threads/posts turn this place into a brain washing conform to my taste or you are not in my clique forum.
+1 +pi times 39X10^84

Always, before I click the "post" button, I think to myself, "Am I making a positive contribution to this forum?". If I am not, I simply delete it.
I differ here and this goes with legos conformity concept. Seems alot lately that Im thinking "how much flamming will I recieve after posting this because im not a member/my post count is tiny and/or im deviating from the normal consensus of that particular thread." But this method Dan speaks of is exactly the way to do it I believe.

Anyway, nice to see someone doing something about it. Finding what youre looking for 3 pages back after a few hours led by useless threads is annoying. I have found myself using the search feature for posts from the day before!!!

AND
Old 02-20-2008, 12:00 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

enzo
Old 02-20-2008, 12:10 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I really dont mind the posts, i just skip them. The problem is its usually a train wreck that i just have to read...with me usually saying "You gotta be kidding me..." as i click 'open in new tab'. I think the main problem is some new comers as of late are extremely childish, post tons of crap and in general make no useful comments or contributions to posts they feel the need to butt into. And its not even like the useless replies are funny and worth reading. Its just crap. Not to mention the endless bickering that results from these useless posts.

One particular user comes to mind as well as a few others who post alot of stupid stuff.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:11 AM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that these threads are not exactly technical, and as such, should not be posted in the technical forum. However, instead of banning/deleting them, why not have them moved. The mr2 boards are more strictly moderated than the rennlist. That kind of took my by surprise, because I expected a Porsche board to be no nonsense technical discussion. To be honest, some people seem to be allowed to run around here like high-schoolers.

For 1, the mr2 boards will lock/remove a thread if it has any implcations of street racing. Hands down. No street racing story, or aggressive street driving story has lived on the mr2oc for more than a day, if the moderators just happened to miss it. Second, language seems to be more acceptable here. On other boards, it seems that people are frowned upon, if not placed under temporary ban for using language.

While not as laxed as some of the other boards that I'm a part of (lots of language and e-bashing), this place is suited fit for my taste. I don't feel constricted, but there are some changes that would make the experience here better.

Oh, and I can never accept search ****'s. Honestly. In the few seconds it takes to tactfully and wittingly tell someone to search, you could just give the information being inquired. That's just kind of rude, and certainly not acceptable. Its true that some people are lazy, but some are uneducated. And each question will be asked for different purposes. This is why I think there should be a bookmark section at the top of all sub-forums, showing the most popular topics, therefore quelling some of the repetitive Q threads.

Anyway...
Old 02-20-2008, 12:12 AM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
One particular user comes to mind as well as a few others who post alot of stupid stuff.
I've only been here a few weeks and I've noticed this...
Old 02-20-2008, 12:46 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

I agree with you for the fact that there has been too many BS threads since the beginning of the year.

However, I like the ebay/trashlist finds and can either get some good parts or a laugh out of them
Old 02-20-2008, 01:15 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wedged in between the dry technical Porsche talk is a community of people drawn together by something as simple as the car they drive. Life long bonds are created here. People have kids, they get married, they live their lives, they make mistakes... sometimes, people on Rennlist die.
I have heard the argument time and time again about how "the 944 board should be STRICTLY tech only" but it always neglects the fact that this is a community.. built on people, their cars and their lives. We ARE among friends here. Please do not forget that.

Now if it pisses you off that XXXX944 posted about "blah blah blah" and there is a group of other people posting replies about "blah blah blah" in the same thread, the tech minded person could just not participate??? You don't sit in a "sports" bar and overhear a group at another table talking about last nights american idle show then proceed to tell them to find another bar to talk about that "non-sports" stuff in?? Do you??
I am not bashing other peoples ideas on how rennlist should be run, nor am I trying to preach my own. I am simply telling you how it looks from where I sit, although possibly contrary. It is just what I see.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:17 AM
Catfood
Burning Brakes

I think many people on the 944 boards should take a look at the 928 boards, whatever their doing on the 28" boards they're doing it right. end of story.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:22 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Travis, again I state no one here mentioned keeping this board strictly technical. I am stating specifically what I believe is destructive and does not belong on this board in my original post and ask others whether they agree or not along with what they feel should be added. Just read the "how fast will 1987 944 n/a go" and you will see many examples of what I mean.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:28 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Us, venture to the 928 boards...you must be joking.

All joking aside (^ that was a joke) I think if we just banned a few key members, everything would be resolved without having to manipulate the board.

I'm guilty on some accounts (I have made posts, not threads) pertaining to the speed thing. Only posted ebay ads when the car was interesting (recently the white/ can can turbo). The comparison part I believe I haven't been in. I could care less about some honda being faster. Which brings me to the other part. I don't like ford, dsm, or honda and do talk trash on their cars (as in...when people mod these types of cars and make them hate-able!). There's nothing wrong with a stock civic, it's when the 15 year old throws a fart can on it that crosses the line. Nothing wrong with an 03-04 Cobra. It's when the brotha puts the euros in it.

But yea, ban a "rocket" member and we'll be good!
Old 02-20-2008, 01:29 AM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Catfood
I think many people on the 944 boards should take a look at the 928 boards, whatever their doing on the 28" boards they're doing it right. end of story.
+1.

They talk about what they want, and nobody really raises a problem. Hell, I've seen street stories on there which seem to be more embraced. I guess with money comes class, which is why you don't get idiot ricer types on boards with more expensive cars. We just need to put up with some of the negligence around here and learn to accept one another. If you don't like a thread, then I say boohoo. Shouldn't have clicked on it. There's a back button placed conveniently at the top of your browser and last time I timed myself, it took less than a second for me to locate it and press it. But I have back and forward buttons on my mouse, so If I don't agree with a page or thread that I open, its gone the second I decide so.

A lot of times, I don't take to time to provoke people anymore. If I say something and someone wants to pick my posts apart and give me trouble, then I just exit the thread and stop reading it.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:31 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

The last post by "peter north" is similar to the "bashing" and inflammatory comment I refer to. Is it really necessary?
Old 02-20-2008, 01:33 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Man, I have an eerie feeling that's Lart. Then again, that guys grammar is too good be Lart's.

Quick Reply: Petition to "ban" topics that are "non-technical" threads/posts to a technical forum