Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did something tonight with the 944 that I never thought I would do with any car

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 09:57 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 104 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Did something tonight with the 944 that I never thought I would do with any car

I've been driving for over 28 years and tonight I did something I thought I would never do. Something I have never done before. Something I go out of my way not to do.

Met my wife, daughter, a neighbor and her two kids at a restaurant tonight. I pulled into the lot at the far end. there were at least two empty spaces on either side.

So an hour later i come out and there is a big new SUV parked next to me. my nose was facing out. This yutz swung the turn into the spot and didnt bother to straighten out the car so if i went straight i may have clipped the rear bumper with my mirror.

That wasnt bad enough. The reality is whoever got out of that car unless a 18" waist could not get out of the car without dinging my car.

granted i was in a 18 year old car, put it is my 18 year old porsche damnit! Granted the paint is not the best, but it is my crappy paint.

I squoze my 33" waist between the two cars and my knee started to tighten up at just the thought of having to squeeze into the narrow opening down below where the seat is. Remember when I came out of the GTO and went into my other 944? My knee still does! That time i smashed it on the A pilar since the car is so much lower, and i got into it like i get into the GTO.

So i look around and notice there are at least three spots on my right that are open, and the row in back of me is practically empty.

Sooo, make a long story short I say EFFIT! to myself and just swing the door open and let hit hit the offending SUV. I then leaned on the door that was leaning against the SUV door and shimmied myself into my car. I then out of frustration went to grab the handle to close the door by just pushing my hand against the inside of the door.

of course after this was done I had to put on my brights and circle the spot to face the offending SUV. I was perpindicular to the SUV and was ready to let the clutch out when i saw a nice, really nice big ding in the door of the offending SUV. I decided to spare the SUV and drove away.

AND IT FELT GOOD!!! IT FELT REAL GOOD!!!!!
Old 11-29-2006, 10:02 PM
fork_included
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you admit to anti-social behaviour...

and after giving me all those lectures...

*shakes head
Old 11-29-2006, 10:07 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 104 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by fork_included
so you admit to anti-social behaviour...

and after giving me all those lectures...

*shakes head
Anti social my knee! I had to get into the car and it was either my bum knee or the door!!! ANDITFELTGOOD!!!
Old 11-29-2006, 10:11 PM
fork_included
Pro

heh, this post was made at 11:11

no you see Tom, the point i'm making, and the point that i tried to make in the other, spun turbo thread,

is that we all participate in mischevious behavior, some major (yours) some minor (spun turbo)

and considering everyone is okay (altho the suv driver has a nice dent in his car) the matter should be dropped and forgotten, certainly people dont deserve to get flamed at endlessly

most of all if the culprits in question have learned their lesson, such as the OP in the other thread, and hopefully the SUV driver in your car will learn to be more attentive while parking his car

that is all

and for the record i fully condone your actions
Old 11-29-2006, 10:13 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so....i do that all the time.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:13 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I had an idiot in a brand spankin' new PT Cruiser park so close, her car was actually touching my driver's side mirror....you could not get a piece of paper between the two, and how she managed not to rip my mirror off or leave paint, I'll never know.
I won't go into detail about what I did, but suffice it to say, I still feel bad about it...
Old 11-29-2006, 10:23 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Please, print as many as these as you can spare, and leave them in your glovebox!

Old 11-29-2006, 10:31 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fork_included
we all participate in mischevious behavior, some major (yours) some minor (spun turbo)
I have to disagree here. There's a reason a moving violation is more serious than a parking violation. You can't directly injure others by parking like a moron.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:32 PM
icat
Race Car

I got pissed off once at a moron who parked in a similar fashion. But being the nice guy that I am I decided to see if there was anything I could do for the other guy. You know, kill 'em with kindness. After closely investigating his vehicle, I decided his tires had way too much air and in my mind that was very dangerous. So, to make his trip home safer I let the air out of his tires. All of the air. All of the tires.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:37 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by 75ohm
Please, print as many as these as you can spare, and leave them in your glovebox!

Dude, I've been looking for that jpg for a while now. Thanks! (Don't remember the "f*ck like you park" on the last one I saw though...)

An old friend of mine used to print these as adhesive-backed stickers that would only come off with a razor blade - the same kind of stickers that a municipality uses. He used to put the sticker on the windshield, directly in the line of sight of the driver.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:42 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Come to think of it, me neither... LOL
Old 11-29-2006, 10:42 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good one Ohm.

What ever happend to those international orange self-adhesive stickers that you could check off the offenses, and were a bastard to peel off? I could put a few to good use...

Tom... it's natural, do it!

One evening a car had the audacity to do a quick stop in our driveway, I told the driver to move it as she was exiting the car, and she just gave me some BS, so I returned the favor!
Old 11-29-2006, 10:46 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

There are times I wish I drove a '76 Buick POS just to deal with those people who park that close. I mean, let's face it... if they were concerned about door dings they certainly woudln't have parked so close to me...

BB.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:47 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i remember driving down my street- years ago- the car in front of me stops, parks, driver gets out walks up to the door of this house and rings the door bell. Now, its only a one lane street, and there are parked cars on the left. Im like- wtf?- so when the door opens and they are sitting there talking, i drove up through their front yard and continued on down the street...hmf.

in college i had a "nice" mustang that i had just repainted. I park on the street as all us poor college students did. After class there is a honda pulled up against my back bumper and the paint is knocked off where they had bumped me!!! I was pretty pissed, yelled alittle and left. A few months later, in the snow, im driving my beater (other) mustang-just happened to have a pre-damaged rear bumper. I notice a choice spot on the street, just happens to be in front of this red honda...im like hey, isnt that the same....yeah it is!! So i kinda forgot to hit the brakes as i backed into my spot...sure is a shame.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to say that I'd leave a note titled "Dear A**hole..." then I saw that mickey thing and decided to print a few out.

Quick Reply: Did something tonight with the 944 that I never thought I would do with any car