Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did something tonight with the 944 that I never thought I would do with any car

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 11:00 PM
MY83944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I generally part as far away in the least populated area I can.

And I take two spaces, parking diagonally within them.

Leaves plenty of room.

Two wrongs does not make a right ....

But I am also guilty of similar things when I was younger, no saint here.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:01 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

https://www.cia.gov/cia/information/...ts/caltrop.htm

Caltrops were used extensively for operations during the early days of the Office of Strategic Services (OSS), the predecessor of the CIA. A scaled-down version of caltrops used to stop horses during medieval times, this device was also effective in harassing modern-day enemies. When scattered on roads and runways, the non-reflective caltrops would always land with one of the four spikes in an upright position, disrupting vehicular movement. This particular spike is hollow and can puncture a self-sealing rubber tire.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magnum-caltrops-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-29-2006, 11:28 PM
924Superwagen
Burning Brakes

I'll admit mischief on my part today as well... in my Jetta. It was a bit of road rage that backfired due to the horrible conditions of our roads. Thankfully none of the usual parked cars were there, but the events were that I apparently cut someone off (I was already over the speed limit and was letting someone pass, but they decided to pass on the right at the same time. I heard the horn, I flipped the bird and sped up. Got to my braking point for the quick right/left set of corners and everything was fine. First corner was perfect, but at mid-corner on the left turn I hit a pothole while trail braking, locked up the wheels and hopped up unto the sidewalk with all four. Resulted in a bent wheel and control arm on the front passenger side as well as a cracked oil pan. Thankfully only $200 in parts and it's safe to drive again.

Lessons learned:
1) I know that I can swap out a control arm in less than an hour.
2) VW oil pans are easier to access than on a 924S/944 (and cheaper)
3) Don't be stupid... I don't want to be resposible for injuring someone because of a moment of testosterone-induced decisions. I think I should just relax... and get to bed early. Yoga sounds nice.
4) Some middle-aged Honda driver is probably laughing their *** off at the expense of a (usually mature) college-aged VW-driving road menace. Whatever... an hour in the intermittent rain putting in the new control arm and balljoint was punishment enough.

All this after getting my first speeding ticket in 6 years on Saturday... double $$$

Last edited by 924Superwagen; 11-29-2006 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:55 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a very different 944/SUV story. I stopped for a hamburger at a small fast food place that has a small parking lot with about 6 spaces total. Skinny parking spots as well. I was inside eating and was facing where my car was parked. I watched as a guy in a large Ford Expedition try his best to squeeze his truck into the space next to my car while talking on a cell phone. I could see all this because he backed the truck into the spot. He ended up with about 8 inches between his door and my door. I thought to myself, well now I get to watch my car get dented. He opens his door a bit, looks down at my car and sees there is no way he is going to get out without climbing onto my car. He then closed his door and CRAWLED across to the other side of his truck and got out. I was shocked. He got carry out and when he went back out he went straight to his passenger door and crawled back across to his drivers seat. Now I really dont know if he saw me watching from inside the restaurant and made all that extra effort because of it or not, but I am still happy there are good people out there.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:38 AM
Whitt944
Always Wears Protection
Rennlist Member

Never use your door, invest in an asp expandable baton.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:39 AM
Whitt944
Always Wears Protection
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, welcome to the club.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:57 AM
fork_included
Pro

Originally Posted by yellowline
I have to disagree here. There's a reason a moving violation is more serious than a parking violation. You can't directly injure others by parking like a moron.
sorry

flip those two words around, hahah
Old 11-30-2006, 02:10 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This makes me mad too. Was out this weekend at a very large knife store here in the area. I parked out pretty far to avoid all cars. When I came out there was some Chrysler rite next to my friggin' car. I start cussing to myself, the usual. I guess people do this because they know that "we" are not going to hit their car. Who give a rats a$$ about their car. If it is a Vette or Pcar or equal I wouldn't mind so much, but just a regular old car...please.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:27 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 89magic98
Dude, I've been looking for that jpg for a while now. Thanks! (Don't remember the "f*ck like you park" on the last one I saw though...)

An old friend of mine used to print these as adhesive-backed stickers that would only come off with a razor blade - the same kind of stickers that a municipality uses. He used to put the sticker on the windshield, directly in the line of sight of the driver.
Do you know where to get any of these stickers? I so need to get some.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:46 AM
Catfood
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys are ridiculous, I would probably go inside the restaurant and find that guy and tell him to move it!! Of course if he was an A-hole or had done it on purpose I would have not used my door to leave a dent I would simply key the car and walk away with a smile on my face.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:02 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

you guys are harsh. Infliciting damage to someone that hasn't done any to you is a bit rough. Honestly, if i had one of those stickers on my car, and found the person that did it, i'd stab em in the eye.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:28 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
you guys are harsh. Infliciting damage to someone that hasn't done any to you is a bit rough. Honestly, if i had one of those stickers on my car, and found the person that did it, i'd stab em in the eye.
I suppose we're all lucky that your car isn't drivable. But then I'd like to think that everyone on here knows how to park between the white lines.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:24 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

That's all you did? My friend with a Civic will do this about twice a day, when in a GOOD mood. I have never done it, but I have left the "dear A-hole" notes. Just don't refer to your car in the note, cuz if they ever see it again...

I would like to let air out of their tires. I know retribution seems wrong, but it's satisfying all the same and I'm glad you feel better. Stupid SUVs.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:13 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a lady in a Yukon do something similar, but I watched her park, and called her on it. She replied it was between the lines. The bumper hung over my spot, and I had to maneuver my car to avoid the damn thing. So I said, F-it. I need a long lunch. So I reparked my car. An inch away from her driver door. There was NO WAY she could get into the Yukon. And I walked to lunch. After my hearty meal, I got back to my car. The Yukon was gone. I giggled.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:49 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

FYI, you can be a moron no matter what sort of car you are driving. Let's not single out SUV owners or start another SUV-bashing thread.

Quick Reply: Did something tonight with the 944 that I never thought I would do with any car