Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did something tonight with the 944 that I never thought I would do with any car

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 04:02 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken D
Stop it with the logic!

Sorry
Old 11-30-2006, 04:38 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by MY83944
Wow, I can feel the love.

One thing you high and mighty need to understand is that I live in a small midwestern town. While that probably does not mean anything to most of you, here is my point.

Parking lots here are never full, or anywhere near it.

When I take 2 places, it effect no one, other than a few self-righteous snobs who get tweeked when I do it.

The country is wildly different in many regards.

If I took 2 places in a large metro area, I can see why some people would be miffed.

Whatever . . . .
I'm high and mighty because I have regard for my fellow drivers???

I believe you've reversed who is what in this case, but as you said - whatever...
Old 11-30-2006, 08:42 PM
MY83944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
So if you live in a small midwestern town, why would it be necessary at all? If the lots really do not fill up, then you can just park way out further in the boonies, take one spot, and nobody will think that you think you are better than anyone else?
Sure, it is just a car, but it is something more to me.

And having wrapped up over $20K in a $3500.00 car, I protect it more than many owners. I have $7K in paint and prior door ding removal, if I want to take three parking places protecting it, I will.

Heck, the guys with the 68 Camaro's, the Hemi Cuda's, the real 1970's Mach 1's do it (take two parking places) all the time back here, not just me.

If you see a restored 1960's or 1970's muscle car in a public parking area, it is generally in two parking places and I do not blame them nor judge them.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:46 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Sure, it is just a car, but it is something more to me.

And having wrapped up over $20K in a $3500.00 car, I protect it more than many owners. I have $7K in paint and prior door ding removal, if I want to take three parking places protecting it, I will.

Heck, the guys with the 68 Camaro's, the Hemi Cuda's, the real 1970's Mach 1's do it (take two parking places) all the time back here, not just me.

If you see a restored 1960's or 1970's muscle car in a public parking area, it is generally in two parking places and I do not blame them nor judge them.
All fine and good, but I am warning you, in a friendly way, that this practice of yours is MUCH more likely to end up with your car getting keyed . . even in small midwestern towns. Too much attention when you are not around is not a good thing . . . Your opinion about whether it is ok or not doesn't matter . . . the only thing that matters is what the crazy/jealous/angry/jerk dude with a key thinks
Old 11-30-2006, 08:49 PM
MY83944
Racer

All fine and good, but I am warning you, in a friendly way, that this practice of yours is MUCH more likely to end up with your car getting keyed . . even in small midwestern towns. Too much attention when you are not around is not a good thing . . . Your opinion about whether it is ok or not doesn't matter . . . the only thing that matters is what the crazy/jealous/angry/jerk dude with a key thinks
You made me laugh son.

This is not my first rodeo ....
Old 11-30-2006, 08:51 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

You made me laugh son.

This is not my first rodeo ....

Daddy . . . daddy . . . I knew you'd come back for me!!

P.S. I grew up not so terribly far from where you live
Old 11-30-2006, 08:59 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

... the only thing that matters is what the crazy/jealous/angry/jerk dude with a key thinks
I guess this is a good segue to this link.

Note the different ways other people respond. The knife through the soft top and key across the side of the car suprised even me. http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119890 the link was not posted to start a flame war. Just to get a glimpse of how some other people deal with these things.

I am not proud of dinging the other car. It felt good, but the bottom line is two cars have dings in their door because of one (maybe two) idiot(s).
Old 11-30-2006, 09:39 PM
MY83944
Racer

P.S. I grew up not so terribly far from where you live
Huh, I'm a little surprised -

I do not believe you have grown up . . . .

Old 11-30-2006, 09:41 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Huh, I'm a little surprised -

I do not believe you have grown up . . . .

Actually you are correct but I am not taking this stuff very seriously like it seems you may be . . . and in the end what I am telling you is, sadly, true
Old 11-30-2006, 11:10 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does everyone else on here not care about their cars so much that they just ding their doors all the time? I care about my pos camry too much to do something like that, much less the 951.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:30 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billthe3
Does everyone else on here not care about their cars so much that they just ding their doors all the time? I care about my pos camry too much to do something like that, much less the 951.
I don't take special precautions when parking. I aim for the middle of a lot- too far away draws attention, too close leaves no room for non-handicapped elderly/women with children, etc. I don't take 2 spaces.

The car survived a year in a seniors-only HS parking lot, so it has a few places on the doors where light distorts when the car is freshly waxed. Let it be- one girl took her Dodge diesel pickup and took out the quarter panel and back door of another girl's car. (Get this- she had the radio up and didn't feel it, so she said.) Compared with that, I can deal with a few creases.

I'll take a car with a lot of recent maintenance work and a few dings and worn paint spots, than one that is cosmetically flawless but is a ticking time bomb in terms of rotting coolant pipes, dryrotted hoses, leaky seals, etc.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:50 AM
MY83944
Racer

Originally Posted by yellowline
I'll take a car with a lot of recent maintenance work and a few dings and worn paint spots, than one that is cosmetically flawless but is a ticking time bomb in terms of rotting coolant pipes, dryrotted hoses, leaky seals, etc.
Amen to that!

Quick Reply: Did something tonight with the 944 that I never thought I would do with any car