Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did something tonight with the 944 that I never thought I would do with any car

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 09:51 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

i got out of the house a minute later than i wanted so i didnt get to survey the damage to my car.

of course after i park the car and get to the train platform with barely a minute to spare before my train was suppoesed to arrive they announce that my train is running late.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:00 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MY83944
I generally part as far away in the least populated area I can.

And I take two spaces, parking diagonally within them.

Leaves plenty of room.
This kind of thing pisses me off far more than the morons who can't park.

Typically, the sin of parking too close to another car or parking crooked in the spot is unintentional and due to carelessness, inattentiveness, or simple lack of skill. Annoys the hell out of me too, but usually it was not intentional.

When you take "revenge" in this situation, you sometimes will target the wrong person (i.e., another victim rather than the moron perpetrator). While you were in shopping, some idiot two spots away may have parked horrifically, so the person next to you had no choice and made the best of a bad situation. Meanwhile, the "true" moron leaves, so when you come out, you don't see the whole story and you take your "rage" and frustration out on the wrong person by damaging their car or leaving an obscene sticker on their car, which could be used by parents with their kids.

But, when you take two spots and park diagonally, you did it intentionally and selfishly. The equivalent in urban areas is to park about 3 feet away from the end of the no parking zone so that anyone behind you will get a ticket, and there is not enough room for a car in front of you. Both types of behavior are inexcusably *ssholish, and, if I had no problems with damaging the property of others, I would take great pleasure in keying the crap out of both cars, particularly since I know that the selfishness is driven by vanity.

I never take two spots. I always park at the closest spot to where I want to go, and I try to be polite. I have yet to get a single door ding or bumper hit, despite living in an extremely urban area. If and when I do, I will think to myself, well, it is a car, and better to enjoy it everyday than walk 20 miles out of my way for fear that I might have to pay the PDR guy a few bucks.

In the end, it's just a damned car, and if you are going to go to anti-social lengths to protect it, maybe you should buy a cheaper car and drive the snot out of it. You probably would enjoy it more . . .

No offense intended to anyone in particular, but if you are going to get offended over one person's opinion on the Internet, particularly someone who is saying just to drop it and don't worry too much about taking revenge or being an idiot in an effort to protect your car, maybe you have much bigger issues . . .
Old 11-30-2006, 10:48 AM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
This kind of thing pisses me off far more than the morons who can't park.

Typically, the sin of parking too close to another car or parking crooked in the spot is unintentional and due to carelessness, inattentiveness, or simple lack of skill. Annoys the hell out of me too, but usually it was not intentional.

When you take "revenge" in this situation, you sometimes will target the wrong person (i.e., another victim rather than the moron perpetrator). While you were in shopping, some idiot two spots away may have parked horrifically, so the person next to you had no choice and made the best of a bad situation. Meanwhile, the "true" moron leaves, so when you come out, you don't see the whole story and you take your "rage" and frustration out on the wrong person by damaging their car or leaving an obscene sticker on their car, which could be used by parents with their kids.

But, when you take two spots and park diagonally, you did it intentionally and selfishly. The equivalent in urban areas is to park about 3 feet away from the end of the no parking zone so that anyone behind you will get a ticket, and there is not enough room for a car in front of you. Both types of behavior are inexcusably *ssholish, and, if I had no problems with damaging the property of others, I would take great pleasure in keying the crap out of both cars, particularly since I know that the selfishness is driven by vanity.

I never take two spots. I always park at the closest spot to where I want to go, and I try to be polite. I have yet to get a single door ding or bumper hit, despite living in an extremely urban area. If and when I do, I will think to myself, well, it is a car, and better to enjoy it everyday than walk 20 miles out of my way for fear that I might have to pay the PDR guy a few bucks.

In the end, it's just a damned car, and if you are going to go to anti-social lengths to protect it, maybe you should buy a cheaper car and drive the snot out of it. You probably would enjoy it more . . .

No offense intended to anyone in particular, but if you are going to get offended over one person's opinion on the Internet, particularly someone who is saying just to drop it and don't worry too much about taking revenge or being an idiot in an effort to protect your car, maybe you have much bigger issues . . .

Whoa... Your missing the simple math here -
Parking farther out = more walking. More walking = less (body) weight. Less weight = more hp. Thus, parking futher out = faster car!
Old 11-30-2006, 10:50 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jonh
Whoa... Your missing the simple math here -
Parking farther out = more walking. More walking = less (body) weight. Less weight = more hp. Thus, parking futher out = faster car!
I have no problems with parking further out, particularly if that is their intent. My problem is with people who take two spots
Old 11-30-2006, 10:55 AM
JonH
Burning Brakes

I have no problems with parking further out, particularly if that is their intent. My problem is with people who take two spots
Your right!
Old 11-30-2006, 12:12 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I would never take two spots as you put yourself into a "I'm better than anyone else" category and it is an invitation for vandalism. Plus how do you know the parking lot will not fill up and your spot will be needed?

I personally part at the farthest point and preferably next to a curb and walk to my destination. Now I do get upset by how blatant some people are with their parking methods. I mean I don't understand how you can leave your vehicle knowing that it's not even remotely parked correctly and will affect the next person. I've actually gotten out of the car, noticed that I didn't park correctly, get back and in fix it.

Now if only everyone would think that way...

I've left notes and even made some tire "modifications" when I was younger but lately I tend to avoid these situations by just parking farther away. Not to say I won't overreact in the right circumstances however!
Old 11-30-2006, 12:30 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Personally, I don't mind people taking two spots if they are parking in the far back of an empty lot where it won't impact anyone else. However, if you park up close or even in the back of a crowded shopping mall during Christmas... well...

BB.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:32 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by BeerBurner
Personally, I don't mind people taking two spots if they are parking in the far back of an empty lot where it won't impact anyone else. However, if you park up close or even in the back of a crowded shopping mall during Christmas... well...

BB.
I do. The lot may be empty when they took two spaces, but it could fill up while they are in the store. I actually see this happen in Georgetown all the time. Person A comes to an empty lot and takes two spots. While they are shopping or eating or whatever, the rest of DC has the same idea and goes to the lot. Now, one person is screwed out of a spot because someone took two. Worse yet, once it becomes "acceptable" to take two spots, why doesn't everyone do it? Maybe when only one does it it is no big deal, but now that 25 people are doing the same thing?

Too selfish and toolish.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:54 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

oh wow, i thought i was the only one.

i've had to actually have my girlfriend pop the e-brake and let the car slide out so that i can get in the ****ing driver's side.

i'd never use my own car door though, too valuable.

the spare key to my house works good, though.

the only time that i'll like it if a huge truck/SUV parks next to me is when it's bubba or jim-bob's F250 Diesel that's got a 20" lift on it with 50" monster truck tires.

then my door opens UNDER the chassis!

otherwise, if a lifted truck parks right next to me so that their giant tire is right next to my door ****, i swear, i want to get my wrench set out and loosen some nuts on the struts, or disconnect the brake lines or some ****.

of course, i'd never do that.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:21 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

I do. The lot may be empty when they took two spaces, but it could fill up while they are in the store. I actually see this happen in Georgetown all the time. Person A comes to an empty lot and takes two spots. While they are shopping or eating or whatever, the rest of DC has the same idea and goes to the lot. Now, one person is screwed out of a spot because someone took two. Worse yet, once it becomes "acceptable" to take two spots, why doesn't everyone do it? Maybe when only one does it it is no big deal, but now that 25 people are doing the same thing?

Too selfish and toolish.
Around here, though, it's typically not a problem. Unless there is something special going on there are always empty spaces in the far corners of the lot. And not just a few, either, but a good 20-40% during typical heavy parking times. I will say, though, that they need to be aware of whether or not it's a lot that is prone to filling up, as many in DC (especially Georgetown, Adams Morgan, etc). That's why it doesn't really bother me.

BB.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:22 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by BeerBurner
Around here, though, it's typically not a problem. Unless there is something special going on there are always empty spaces in the far corners of the lot. And not just a few, either, but a good 20-40% during typical heavy parking times. I will say, though, that they need to be aware of whether or not it's a lot that is prone to filling up, as many in DC (especially Georgetown, Adams Morgan, etc). That's why it doesn't really bother me.

BB.
So, if it is true that the lots do not fill up, then you should be able to park far out without taking up two spots
Old 11-30-2006, 01:24 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

So, if it is true that the lots do not fill up, then you should be able to park far out without taking up two spots
That is true, too. Maybe they got tired of people parking their lumbering vehicles right next to them when they are all the way out there. Or something, I dunno. At this point I'm speculating. I never use two spaces myself...

Personally, I'll aim to park right next to the nice car that's all the way out there. I can typically trust those people not to ding my car and they'll at least protect that one side from others!

BB.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:28 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

If the lot is that full/busy you shouldnt have the p-car there anyways...just too many idiots out and about for my liking.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Tierce
Pro

i just want to say, I hate SUV's, they're too big, gas hogs, and 95% of the time, they never carry more than 1 person. And people wonder why gas prices are going up.

If you need to carry a bunch of people, fine, do so. If you need to tow something heavy, fine, use the truck. If you're commuting to work, drive something smaller.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:30 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

yeah, like a chickster before you get too pissed off . . . look at my signature . . . .

Quick Reply: Did something tonight with the 944 that I never thought I would do with any car