Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MINT 1990 944S2 FOR SALE

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 02:16 AM
SS S2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MINT 1990 944S2 FOR SALE

I am sad to say that I had to post my 1990 944S2 today.

34K miles and a Concourse De Elegance winner.

Best offer takes it!
Old 09-19-2006, 01:15 PM
intrepidagent
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Pics? Price?
Old 09-19-2006, 03:42 PM
PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche
Advanced

Cab or coupe?
Old 09-19-2006, 03:57 PM
gman1868
Instructor

$17k for a stock S2?
Old 09-19-2006, 08:39 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Try listing in Panorama as well if you havent already. A lot of nicer cars show up in those ads. Pics would be helpful.

More info would be helpful.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:54 PM
SS S2
Instructor

Anyone who wants pics or the car's history can PM me and send me your email address. The pics I have are too high a resolution for Rennlist.

Yes, I am asking for $16.9K and am willing to work with a real buyer. You show me another 1990 944S2 in the same, concourse condition, with the same miles and is a past Concourse De 'Eleance winner for less and I will consider your point Gman. I appreciate your and treasure you skepticism, but you have not seen, driven or insepcted the car. I shall assume you are not in the market for a car such as this, however I thank you for looking.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:05 PM
SS S2
Instructor

After thinking about it, I decided to post some info. I will still need to send photos on a per request basis. Rest assured that the car is as you would expect for this asking price.

As you will see in the photos, the car is immaculate. It started it’s life in Vienna, VA on 3/10/1990 (error on actual date in book) with 12 miles on it. As you will see, the first 8 years of its life, the car saw about 1,500 a year on avg. By its 15th birthday, its avg. was about 2,000 a year. A carfax print out will verify the miles as stated as well as the maintenance manual and various receipts will also coincide with the dates and mileage. All the prior services done have been documented in the maintenance book and there are original receipts that go with the car that appear to be from the time the original owner bought it. I can spread them out and photo them if you would like.

The car was pasted from father to son and moved from it’s original home in Maryland to Ohio. The father was a big Porsche fan and never drove it in bad weather. The son got his love of Porsches from his father and cared for the car just the same. From there, the car was sold to a collector in Texas. He was a PCA member who was obviously a Porsche only guy. You know the kind, black & White checkered floor, Porsche banner and clock on the wall, Porsche posters, etc. He entered the car in the Lone Star Region PCA Concourse de ‘Elegance 3 times; first two scores were 91 & 93. He missed some cleaning issues, but nothing major. He finally won with a score of 97. He sold the car to buy a 911.

From there, the car was sold to a gentleman who is a producer for ABC television. He always wanted a 944S2 because of its classic sports car style so he looked at all the top cars in the US for about 3-4 months. I know this because 1) he told me and 2) He knew all the cars I had looked at before seeing his and nailed each one as to miles, condition and the reason neither of us bought that car! Upon finding this car, he trucked the car to California in an enclosed carrier and took it immediately to his local Porsche dealer. The Porsche tech put the car in the air and was amazed at it. He said the car looked as if it had barely seen the road. He saw the miles and did not doubt them. Even though the car checked out fine, all the records showed proper maintenance and the PPI showed nothing was needed, he did the water pump, timing belt, clutch, etc. to the tune of just under $4,000. He did everything that all the articles and books say to do just so the car would be more perfect than it already was. He ended up having to sell the car due to his pending divorce and that I when I bought it.

The window sticker is included and will show an MSRP that was over $44K. The car has Partial leather fronts, Reno Radio (which I still have & goes with the car), A Limited Slip Diff, and full power drivers seat.

As for the maintenance on the car, I have not had to do one thing to this car since I bought it. I did a small review of all the receipts, but I really listened to the technician at the Porsche dealer. He told me everything was perfect and that the car needed nothing. I asked the service writer and he knew what car it was immediately…”The red S2 from Texas? Oh Yeah, I know that car…it’s amazing.” When I told him I was thinking of buying it, he said “Whatever he’s asking, pay it…it’s worth every dime…if you are looking for a 944 or 944S2, this is the one. I have never seen one in better shape and so obviously well cared for as this one.” The tires are like new and the car appears to be fine. The only item that I am going to check is I heard a bit of a noise when I came to a stop this weekend. I think it was from brake dust, but I am not sure. I drove the car all day and there was quite a bit of dust up front…or it could have been some glazing on the rotors (someone told me this one). In either case, the car stops fine and there was plenty of pad left when I got the car, so it seems fairly minor and I will look into it when I get a free moment.

Since I was in high school, I wanted a 944. The 944S2 was even better than the original, so when I could afford one, I wanted the best I could find and this was the best in the land that was for sale. Turbos are not my style. Normally asspirated engines are more reliable and this car goes just about as fast as a 951. After driving it and loving every minute of it, I have decided to get into racing Porsches. As you probably know, that can be expensive, plus I don’t have room for more than one toy. After a long time of thought, I have come to the conclusion that I need to sell this one to afford my real passion. Besides, I never really drive this car and it needs to be either driven or shown; or better yet, both.

Along with the car comes all the original sales brochures, all records in my possession, the original window sticker, all original keys (both original ignition/door/trunk and gas cap keys on original dealer stock ring & key code plates). It also comes with the sunroof back and a like new bra with mirror bras, too.

This car really is worth every penny and I hope someone really gets to enjoy it as much as I have.

Again, pictures will be sent on a per request basis unless I can figure out how to get mine posted.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:37 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Is th is the red one that was on ebay a few time about three years ago? if so thanks for the auction results. they helped me get $$ from geico when my red S2 was stolen.

I just sold my 89 944 S2 with 58k miles, recent belts (at $85 a valve you should make sure yours are recent) gray/burgandy (much more desireable than red/black) new brakes and in pretty nice shape overall for 9500 to my brother - without wheels or tires.

I hosed him!!! a lot of rennlisters can attest to the condition of my S2, the transmission was never out of the car, and there is plenty of cosmoline still on it.

it is not a concours winner because i never entered it. i did take it to the track for a few DE's and autocrossed it in the rain. that should knock about 7k from the value, so 17k seems fair.

I believe somoene bought a S2 with less than 30k miles for about 11k recently.

I think the only 17k 944 coupe is an 88 951S or 89 951 with under 20k miles in any color but red.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Mine had 12k miles on it when I bought it last year. It's funny, whenever this type of car comes up for sale, there's always folks on both sides of the price war. How can an S2 be worth 17k? Boy what a great example, it's a steal. Valid arguments both.

That's why there's more than one flavor of ice cream made, friends - it's worth what it's worth to the buyer who buys it.

BTW, fellow listers told me that mine was worth anywhere from 10-18k when I was considering buying it. I wouldn't sell mine for less than 16k today, which means it probably wouldn't sell....
Old 09-19-2006, 11:41 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is it when ever someone posts a nice car and asks a higher than "normal" amount the scuttlebugs always come out and try to rag on the guy??? Why try to argue that our cars are worth less, why not instead encourage him to get all he can as it is in the interest of us all?

If you don't like the care or plan on seriously buying it, move on and post nothing! I just don't understand people!

Cory
Old 09-19-2006, 11:43 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
I think the only 17k 944 coupe is an 88 951S or 89 951 with under 20k miles in any color but red.
As I can not disagree on the premium value of these above mentioned cars, I would challenge you to find one with under 20K miles for $17K (stock of course and one that hasn't been beat) and as far as that goes who would buy any other color than red anyway
Old 09-20-2006, 12:05 AM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Originally Posted by SS S2
Anyone who wants pics or the car's history can PM me and send me your email address. The pics I have are too high a resolution for Rennlist.

Yes, I am asking for $16.9K and am willing to work with a real buyer. You show me another 1990 944S2 in the same, concourse condition, with the same miles and is a past Concourse De 'Eleance winner for less and I will consider your point Gman. I appreciate your and treasure you skepticism, but you have not seen, driven or insepcted the car. I shall assume you are not in the market for a car such as this, however I thank you for looking.

MINE!!
Old 09-20-2006, 12:22 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Perhaps i wasn't clear earlier - i paid closer to 18 than 10 for mine - and would do it again in a heartbeat. A 944 mechanic with a reputation as one of the best 944 guys around said he'd seen maybe one as nice as mine in the last 15 years. You get what you pay for sometimes...
Old 09-20-2006, 12:23 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much for the transaxle ??? just kidding

Sounds like you have a wonderful car and I hope it goes to a nice home and you get the asking price
Old 09-20-2006, 12:51 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vjgtrybno1
Perhaps i wasn't clear earlier - i paid closer to 18 than 10 for mine - and would do it again in a heartbeat. A 944 mechanic with a reputation as one of the best 944 guys around said he'd seen maybe one as nice as mine in the last 15 years. You get what you pay for sometimes...
If its anything like Vinnys, then id pay that much for it. Of course I also dont have that much. I have about 2 dollars and 97 cents to my name right now.

Quick Reply: MINT 1990 944S2 FOR SALE