Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MINT 1990 944S2 FOR SALE

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 01:00 AM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Once more into the breach....

Well, I know I shouldn't do this (in the interest of not beating a dead horse....) but I can't resist. From an ad I just ran across:

"1990 Porsche 944 S2

Description — $24,000 (Or Best Offer), Red 3DR Coupe, 17000 Miles, Manual Transmission, 2WD, 4 Cylinders, Excellent Condition. ALL ORIGINAL UNMOLESTED.17000 ORIGINAL MILES.CAR HAS HAD ALL RECENT UPDATED MAJOR SERVICE.NO DAMAGE HISTORY AND CLEAN CAR FAX.NO REGRETS.MUST SEE.NEW TIRES."

This seller is lucky he doesn't post here....

Now this is a *really* low-miles car and there is a specialized market for them: collectors and/or PCA Concours enthusiasts. It's *not* generally the community here on Rennlist for all the reasons so eloquently stated by others in previous posts.

I think that all those who have seen Tom Pultz' S2, either in person or on his website, would agree that even a brand-new, 0-miles S2 wouldn't be as good a *car* as his! But he's probably right about being lucky if he could get $17K for it. (I think it would still be a bargain though!)

To address SS S2's question about "Agreed Value" policies: they are pretty restrictive about how much and for what purposes you can drive your car. They won't pay *anything* if you do something they haven't underwritten. I'm not expert in this area, but from the research I've done, some of these policies are really not worth it. Hagerty's seemed to be the most liberal, but reading their fine print makes it pretty clear that you are NOT to use these cars for anything like normal driving

I actually have my eye on an '89 S2 with less than 30K miles.... If I get it and ever decide to sell it, I'll be sure put it up for sale here...
Old 09-26-2006, 01:16 AM
SS S2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stephen is sort of right on the insurance stuff, but I think we will have to agree to disagree on the value thing. I still think the car is worth no less than $15K, bottom line.

I can tell you that on the insurance notes...I am an expert on this. Actually, I am court certified as an expert. I am a licensed insurance agent who is appointed to sell these types of policies and speak from a prior claims background with over 15 years in the insurance industry. Hagerty's is only one of the better policies out there. However, I like putting clients there as they have one of the better claims dept's. Grundys is another good one. Not nearly as restricitve, or expensive, as American Collectors Ins., for example.

They are all restrictive, realtively that is. The biggies are that they don't want you if the car is a back up to your daily driver or not kept in a locked garage. No strict mileage restictions on most, but you are charged more for estimating over 2,500 a year. Most of them like a locked garage and want details of where the car is kept if any place other than that. They basically want cars that are treated as collectables or rare to semi-rare "exotics." Remember, they use that term kind of loosely.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:27 AM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SS S2: I think your car is definitely worth $15K. You might get more. I'm on your side ;-). I'm in SoCal also, PM me with your whereabouts.

Actually, I don't want to come across as on one side or the other in this discussion. Car values are *real* subjective. My only point is that extremely low-mileage cars have a specialized, albeit small, market.

stp
Old 09-26-2006, 10:49 AM
SS S2
Instructor

In that case Stephen, we are actually on the same page.

Since you are a PCA member, I would like to pick your brain...if that's ok with you.

PM sent
Old 09-26-2006, 10:51 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

"There's an old saying. Men will pay $2 for something worth $1 if
they really need it. Women, on the other hand, will gladly pay $1 for
something worth $2 even though they don't need it. "

H2
Old 09-26-2006, 03:41 PM
SS S2
Instructor

Alrighty than....if we follow that logic, and a Hermaphrodite buys the car, it should still go in the mid $15K range. (Sorry...you opened the door, so I just walked through it; and I couldn't resist!)
Old 09-26-2006, 09:41 PM
zoxx2004
Instructor

Were's Wayland now?
Old 09-28-2006, 03:01 PM
SS S2
Instructor

Who is Wayland?
Old 09-29-2006, 11:30 PM
SomethingAboutB
Intermediate

Save Ferris!!!!!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:32 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

You know what would be truly awesome and could probably fetch $24,000???

1991 944 S2 Cab/Coupe with extreme low mileage and truly concours level, fully optioned with the good stuff..... Zyclam Pearl Effect exterior with Pasha Cloth & leather interior that was ordered from the "special wishes" program.

99% of people who see it would probably get dizzy, but the 1% would totally flip for that car. I know I would. THAT car would merit $24k from me without second thought!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:36 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Everything has a specialty market! Just as dismantillers have a market for busted cars, there are people that love untouched examples.

Never doubt the "market." Its why business works! There is someone, somewhere, that has the need or want, and the ability to pay!
Old 10-02-2006, 08:48 PM
SS S2
Instructor

Thanks to all and lets see what unfolds.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:46 PM
SS S2
Instructor

Let the wondering and speculation end...the car was sold yesterday.

To all the nah-sayers and pessimists out there, I serve your humble pie...and it appears to be ala mode, too. Here is what happened.

The car was being seen by one prospective buyer and another prospective buyer came to look at it while the 1st one was still there. I let them both inspect the car and drive it. Since I spent the money and had a PPI done by the Local Porsche dealer, they did not need to waste time trying to arrange one. While the second guy drove it, the first guy started to look over the repair history and talk price...I listed the car for $16,900. The second buyer came back and heard this. He then looked at all the receipts and waited to see what was going to happen with the 1st guy. Then we all started to talk. Long story short, a small bidding war ensued and the car left my hands for $17,500!

Now before I get all the "you just got lucky" & "well, there's an *** for every seat" comments, I will say this, I would bet none of the people that would be posting those comments had seen this car; it was immaculate and as close to perfect as I have seen. Let's face it, we were all wrong...even me because it went for $600 over the asking price.

This is the wonder of the market. Somthing is only worth what someone is willing to pay...and that, my friends, is how the value of something is determined.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:59 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Now that brings a smile to my face! Congratulations!
Old 11-02-2006, 07:22 PM
SS S2
Instructor

BTW Stephen,

The 1990 944S2 in that ad you are quoting is in Macon, GA and is identical to mine.

A guy inquiring about buing my car is in negotiations on that car right now and is willing to pay up to $19K. The seller is stuck at $21K. I told him that for what mine would cost him, he could buy it, shipping it back to his state and save at least $3,500. He never really answered me.

I guess there really is an *** for every seat....Dooooo! Did that really come outta my mouth?

SS

1990 Porsche 944 S2

Description — $24,000 (Or Best Offer), Red 3DR Coupe, 17000 Miles, Manual Transmission, 2WD, 4 Cylinders, Excellent Condition. ALL ORIGINAL UNMOLESTED.17000 ORIGINAL MILES.CAR HAS HAD ALL RECENT UPDATED MAJOR SERVICE.NO DAMAGE HISTORY AND CLEAN CAR FAX.NO REGRETS.MUST SEE.NEW TIRES."

This seller is lucky he doesn't post here....

Quick Reply: MINT 1990 944S2 FOR SALE