Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid things people have said about 944's

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't realize that F1 was derived from the Civics we see on the street? That's interesting.
Does this make the Honda engineers any less intelligent?

And to answer your question, the reverse. Lessons learned in F1 trickle down. This is the corner stone that Porsche has hung their hat on, as to why they endurance race.

Last edited by Bill; 06-02-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I work at Home Depot in the tool rental department, and like 75% of our **** has honda motors on it. They start real easy. They seem to last long. I dont think Porsche builds motors for pressure sprayers and lawn mowers, (after the cayanne who knows?) but id like to keep i thtat way.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:54 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill
Does that make the Honda engineers any less intelligent?

Honda is a great automotive company. I never said anything bad about the cars they build, or the race teams they support. The Honda Civic is not a supercar, the 944 is not a supercar. However, from the factory, the 944 is much more of a sports car with a sports car history. I've driven a IT prepared Ford Festiva, it does not make it a sports car.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

I work at Home Depot in the tool rental department, and like 75% of our **** has honda motors on it
My point exactly.

A very large, intelligent and successful corporation is making money renting equipment. To maximize their proffitability and return on investment, they must rent the equipment for as long as possible. The longer the equipment is in service, the greater the return on investment. So now we get to your statement, HD choose Honda. Why? Because of reliability! When I buy equipment for my garage, pressure washer, generator, etc. I choose Honda every time over the likes of Briggs and Stratton.

Good engineering applied, has everything to do with F1, street cars, equipment, and brand.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:04 PM
sca037
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We've owned our 944 for 15 years, and have experienced very few of the dumb comments others have heard.
We've had our S2000 for under 3 years, and have been amused by what unsolicited remarks it has generated (but won't go with them here ;-)
Both cars do their own things very well, and while a vehicle from 1985 certainly suffers a bit of a technology gap, it still has a balance and feel (I especially like the steering of the early offset cars) that is hard to beat.

Brian
Old 06-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

My favorite comment received:

In my 944, I can keep up with your 951 in the hills. Its just the straight line that I'll loose.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think we should keep the Honda stuff to the rennlist honda section....
Old 06-02-2006, 02:21 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think we should keep the Honda stuff to the rennlist honda section....
Lego, that is too funny! I agree, dumb statements should be limited to 944's.

Last edited by Bill; 06-02-2006 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Aquadave
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple years ago, when I had just owned my car for a few weeks, I pulled into a Kroger parking lot. I got out, closed my door, and looked up to see a truck that just stopped on the passenger side of my car. It was two guys in an old beat up hooptie. The driver said, "Hey mayn, Lookit that spoiler! I loove that Nascar spoiler!" Followed by the guy riding shotgun, "Heeell yea, that thing does look like a Nascar!"

I looked at them and then I was transfixed on my p-car. I didnt say anything, so they drove off. But I literally took a few steps back and starred at my car for about five minutes in the parking lot, trying to hope I didnt see a nascar spoiler.

(I live in Arkansas and a bunch of people love their nascar here, and I had only owned the car a short time... Haha there was about ten minutes I was scared I bought a nascar.)
Old 06-02-2006, 02:44 PM
mnypit944
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z-man
Now tell me, how many 15+ year old cars do you know that handle better than 90% of the cars made TODAY?

I think the key to the 944's handling is it's 50/50 weight distribution, with the rear transaxle configuration, it's compact design, and it's German engineering bloodline. It is no wonder that in October, 1984, the Car and Driver editors crowned the 944 the "best handling car."

-Z-man.
maybe most are 15+ years old, but the technology is much older. The 944 is over 23 years old and took a lot from the 924 which is much older yet. So when you look at it in that light, it is really pointless to try to compare it. Just remember it can out handle almost anything out there stock to stock. It is not the slowest car either, contrary to what so many beleive about the NA. Can many minivans beat it, yes, but in the end, I keep saying this, they are driving the econobox, or the family truckster, and I am still driving a Porsche and it does it all fairly well.

If you really want to compare apples to apples, lets see what an 83 Civic CVCC can do against an 83 944. Or just about anything of that era. I had an 84 Corvette that regularly got beat by minivans.

I still think Honda builds a great car. The Civic is not a race car. It only has such an aftermarket because of this strange phenomenon of kids wanting family oriented econoboxes instead of real performance cars. When my dad offered me the old family car when I was 18 I laughed at him. I guess nowadays I would be cool to have it. I wanted a Toyota Supra. The Porsche 944 at the time was a little out of my grasp and, no offense, but I thought the 924 and 914 were ugly. THe 83 Supra could be had for about $3500 or so and was a formidable car compared to other cars of the day.

I have owned many Hondas. Including a CRX and most recently an S2000. The CRX was slow and handled poorly, but got 58mpg. The S2000, when drivin to the limit, was a blast. That power you feel at the top of the RPM range is like a turbo kicking in. It was fast, handled well, and looked great too. But it was $20,0000 used and I didnt drive it except on weekends. I couldnt justify the expense of payment, insurance etc on a car that did not get driven.

SO now I have a 944. When I began looking I was going to pick up an older Acura, or MR2. But when I found out the prices of those cars I about choked. For an old beat up car?,, I kept thinking. Then I found my current car on eBay locally and bought it.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rock
I work at Home Depot in the tool rental department, and like 75% of our **** has honda motors on it. They start real easy. They seem to last long. I dont think Porsche builds motors for pressure sprayers and lawn mowers, (after the cayanne who knows?) but id like to keep i thtat way.
I agree rock but also find this perticular "P-Car?" interesting.http://www.912registry.org/images/ev...tofest2271.jpg

-Scott
85.5 n/a
Old 06-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I was exiting the parking lot at work one day, driving the N/A (<<<< see avatar). Saw the plant manager, assistant plant manager and a gaggle of other management types (of course they are always on the head guy's coattails) walking toward me ahead. As I passed by, the plant manager's eyes widened, and as he gawks at my car he says, "Damn, NOW we know who makes all the money around HERE!"

I have had conversations with some of these same folks since, and they have had similar, numerous questions....to which I gave the same responses......

"Wow, how long you had that new Porsche?"
("Well, it's not really a new one......")
"Really? But it looks so nice! Got to feel good to own a nice Porsche, huh?"
("Well, yes it does. I love my cars, but......")
"Cars? Why, what else you got?"
(Well, actually I've got two, both are Porsches, the one you saw that day and another one, but......")
"ANOTHER ONE? TWO OF THEM? Goddamn!!!!! Just how much do you make around here?"

The funny thing is a lot of these guys make well over twice my annual salary. All the plant managers in the company (six plants) are millionaires.
Our parking lot is riddled with many new or newer Mercedes, Lexi (Lexus, plural?), and Cadillac cars, and SUV's of the same marques too, Jaguars, and lots of other 40K-60K representatives too.

If they only knew I paid $6K for the N/A in '94, and $4K for the 951 in 2003...
.......but it's not about the money at all........or even the implied "prestige"......like I tell everyone, I just love my cars, and the engineering that went into them, they just happen to say "Porsche" on them......

(Besides, if I wanted the prestige or a status symbol, wouldn't I get a 911? )
Old 06-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow Wade, I am just impressed you know your Latin conjugation.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:04 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How many Porsche tractors were made? I thought there was only like 1 but there looks to be a lot
Old 06-03-2006, 12:06 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Wade B
(Besides, if I wanted the prestige or a status symbol, wouldn't I get a 911? )

Must resist.....

Quick Reply: Stupid things people have said about 944's