Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid things people have said about 944's

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 03:41 PM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mnypit944
Try buying a CV joint for a driveshaft. The TR8 has CV jointed driveshafts. You can just imagine the looks and stupid remarks I got from that one.
It just shows some people have a lack of imagination and experience, not that it is an excuse for stupidity. Back then, car companies tried a lot of different and innovative concepts. Not all of them carried over (yet) to modern cars. Nothing surprises me, but it is also best to assume nothing about any model of car.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:50 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hawk36
I have to disagree with Mr. Cobalt, not bashing just disagreeing. The 924 and early 944s (before 85.5) were in fact Audi (Audi is owned by VW) drive trains. From 85.5 on 944s were all Porsche.
All 944s had a transaxle based on an Audi design. Porsche engineers commented on the size of the Audi transaxle as being a factor in the high load floor. Porsche played with the gearing and R&P of some cars. All 944 and 924S cars have a Porsche engine, excepting transplants.

But it's OK, 928s had a Mercedes transmission for the automatic cars.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:56 PM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
anythingless powerful then an ITR or M3? um, a minivan will take an NA, and my civic will outhandle at the track... That doesn't mean NA's arent great cars.
Tried it. Eurovans and Pacificas do not have the acceleration. Compared stock cars to a stock 944, yes. I stand by my statement. A stock Civic will not take a stock 944. A modded civic vs a modded 944 is anyone's guess.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Eyal, here you go again with the civic. I challenge you to a track day with your stock 95 civic to my stock 944. I really like to see what your 185/60/14 tires can do with 125 stock hp. If you tempt me, I may bet you pinkslips for cars for best lap times.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:17 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Legoland951
Eyal, here you go again with the civic. I challenge you to a track day with your stock 95 civic to my stock 944. I really like to see what your 185/60/14 tires can do with 125 stock hp. If you tempt me, I may bet you pinkslips for cars for best lap times.
I didn't say stock. But mod a civic and a 944 equally in terms of suspension, and there is a clear winner. Double wishbone all around, 2100 pounds... orr 2700 pounds, no double wish, torsions in the rear.
I have a lot of track experience in Honda's. Allways pass the 944's.
Let me get a little work done, you do the same, and we can have a track day, but a friendly one, I have nothing to prove, and If I were to lose, I'd buy you lunch and a beer, shake your hand, and tell you to post on the forumn that you defeated the honda worshiper!
Better yet, My friends Integra is setup, race him, I'd bet money that a 944 has nothing on that car. Integra = civic... same car.
Do you have any track time? I know you talk about it alot, but if you have never been on track, chances are I will own you in a stock civic.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:25 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by MyBlackCar
I had a guy who drove an auto IS300 tell me my car was weak when I told him my 944 has 165 hp. Of course, I said "Yeah, only real men drive manual". No offense to those 944 owners driving auto.

It doesn't matter what BS anyone says. Anything heavier than a Miata or a motorcycle or less powerful than an M3 or Integra Type R can not hang with a 944 anyways. I love watching wannabe racer tailgaters lose control because they try to maintain my 80mph in a 30mph turn.
That really is an ignorant statement. My 951S is both heavier than a miata and a motorcycle and less powerful than an M3 and absolutely stomps my 944 in nearly every category.

To me you sound like a new owner in the honeymoon phase. The 944 is a fantastic car, but there are much faster cars out there and cars that handle better.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:26 PM
mnypit944
Instructor

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
I didn't say stock. But mod a civic and a 944 equally in terms of suspension, and there is a clear winner. Double wishbone all around, 2100 pounds... orr 2700 pounds, no double wish, torsions in the rear.
I have a lot of track experience in Honda's. Allways pass the 944's.
Let me get a little work done, you do the same, and we can have a track day, but a friendly one, I have nothing to prove, and If I were to lose, I'd buy you lunch and a beer, shake your hand, and tell you to post on the forumn that you defeated the honda worshiper!
Better yet, My friends Integra is setup, race him, I'd bet money that a 944 has nothing on that car. Integra = civic... same car.
Do you have any track time? I know you talk about it alot, but if you have never been on track, chances are I will own you in a stock civic.

I tell people this all the time, and I see your point, HOWEVER in the end it is still an old econbox. I would rather have people mislabel my car all day long and know that I am driving a Porsche that I only paid $3000 for.

Not long ago I was looking for a Civic to use as a daily driver. They are great on gas. I couldnt find one that cheap, not in the same condition as my Porsche. And I have a Porsche to boot.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JustinL
That really is an ignorant statement. My 951S is both heavier than a miata and a motorcycle and less powerful than an M3 and absolutely stomps my 944 in nearly every category.

To me you sound like a new owner in the honeymoon phase. The 944 is a fantastic car, but there are much faster cars out there and cars that handle better.
Agreed. You guys have to realize that were talking about an archaic suspesnion setup, in a 20 year old car with 165 hp (or 217 for the turbo, which is still slow, and the suspension is STILL archaic)
Yes, their wonderful cars, but if there were end all be alls, they wouldn't be $3000 now would they?
Old 06-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mnypit944
I tell people this all the time, and I see your point, HOWEVER in the end it is still an old econbox. I would rather have people mislabel my car all day long and know that I am driving a Porsche that I only paid $3000 for.

Not long ago I was looking for a Civic to use as a daily driver. They are great on gas. I couldnt find one that cheap, not in the same condition as my Porsche. And I have a Porsche to boot.
Thats a valid argument. Yea, in terms of Honda I'd rather be driving an S2000 or an NSX, and I will in a couple years. But as a college student with a modded 951, and a daily driver, I am perfectly fine with a civic. The girls like the civic better then the 951 anyway...
I'm not big into status, just fun cars. Of course 944's are great cars, they do handle well, and the turbo is quick, but they definetly are not the best of anything out there.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:35 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Some call it the "Poor Man's Porsche".

I've got a slightly different take on that. I think that it's the best money that I've spent on a car yet, and has great value for the dollar, especially in the current market. So all that is just really smart shopping, rather than anything negative. Wouldn't you say?
Old 06-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JustinL
I agree that there are faster cars out there, but there are very few cars whose handling is on par with the 944. Granted, in AX, the newer technology of the Elise, C5/C6 Vette, Miata...etc. will run away from a 944, and on the big tracks, the 944 is at a big hp disadvantage. However, there are really only a handful of cars that are as easy to drive at their limits as the 944 is. In that short list, I'd include the following:
Boxster / Cayman
996 / 997
Most exotics (Ferrari, Lambos, Bugatti, Benz SLR...etc)
Most near exotics (Viper, Ford GT, Z06 Vettes...etc.)
Elise / Exige
Vette (C5/C6)
Miata
Mini Cooper
Acura Integra Type R (maybe)
BMW 3-series (E36 / E46 Chasis -- maybe)
Honda S2000

That's not a whole lotta cars that can go toe to toe against the '44 in terms of handling. And most of those cars have more ponies under the hood - and horsepower has a wonderful way of covering up chassis shortcomings...

Now tell me, how many 15+ year old cars do you know that handle better than 90% of the cars made TODAY?

I think the key to the 944's handling is it's 50/50 weight distribution, with the rear transaxle configuration, it's compact design, and it's German engineering bloodline. It is no wonder that in October, 1984, the Car and Driver editors crowned the 944 the "best handling car."

-Z-man.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:17 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

Heheh you're preaching to the choir I'm a 944/951 guy through and through. For the price, they are unbeatable. For their age, they are outstanding. The looks are classic and timeless. They can be made to be very competetive at reasonable costs.

It's just new owners sometimes overestimate the prowess of their new to them 944. A stock 944 won't do corners at 80MPH that other cars can't do at 30MPH. And it sucks worse when you can't keep up with a minivan in a straight line.

If there was another light coupe that looked as good, made 300RWHP, handled well enough to compete with many cars in that list and cost under $15,000 I'd buy it
Old 06-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Eyal, I think I was driving at Willow Springs when you were still in diapers. I have nothing against Hondas as I owned a number of them and have drag raced them. I just don't like this pissing match. If I never hear another Honda reference to the 944, I would be a happy camper because its pointless. If we are talking about stock to stock, then we are comparing Honda to Porsche. If we start modding, then where do you stop? Its just pointless in my opinion.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:27 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowline
All 944s had a transaxle based on an Audi design. Porsche engineers commented on the size of the Audi transaxle as being a factor in the high load floor. Porsche played with the gearing and R&P of some cars. All 944 and 924S cars have a Porsche engine, excepting transplants.

But it's OK, 928s had a Mercedes transmission for the automatic cars.

Thanks for putting that straight. BTW what is the Mr. Cobalt crap. I might be older but not that old.

I find it funny how the "It's not a real Porsche" has so many different angles. I got that with my 914 and many 911 guys give me grief about the 928. I actually don't consider anything newer than 1998 a real Porsche myslef . When I got involved with Porsches in 1978 when a freind and I restored a 71 911E they were as far from a 996/7 as you could imagine. I myself was in the 914 is not a real Porsche frame of mind back then but to be honest with you even the Cayenne is a great car and any Porsche is a fun car to drive. Although going from a 944 to 928 couldn't be a more different experiance eventhough they share so much. The 944 is so light and nimble and the 928 is so powerful and heavy, but in a good way.

As Z-man said about the 944
That's not a whole lotta cars that can go toe to toe against the '44 in terms of handling. And most of those cars have more ponies under the hood - and horsepower has a wonderful way of covering up chassis shortcomings...
Now tell me, how many 15+ year old cars do you know that handle better than 90% of the cars made TODAY?
Old 06-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Legoland951
Eyal, I think I was driving at Willow Springs when you were still in diapers. I have nothing against Hondas as I owned a number of them and have drag raced them. I just don't like this pissing match. If I never hear another Honda reference to the 944, I would be a happy camper because its pointless. If we are talking about stock to stock, then we are comparing Honda to Porsche. If we start modding, then where do you stop? Its just pointless in my opinion.
LOL, I think I just got owned.

Quick Reply: Stupid things people have said about 944's