Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944fest 2006- A Vision

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 02:06 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts
Talking 944fest 2006- A Vision

Hiya folks! To those interested parties, I hope you have been following the other two 944fest threads, the planning thread and the track day survey. I offer up this new thread as my vision, what I hope to accomplish for the event, and open the topic for discussion. The survey results are promising so it looks like this event is going to happen!!

I'll start with a thanks to Winslow (Horsepowerfarm) for dropping in to my lap what could be an awesome opportunity. Nelson Ledges, a road course east of Cleveland, is offering us their circuit Friday, August 4th for a day of track time for $3000. They will also include a camping area for at LEAST that friday night and maybe more, with access to bathrooms and limited showers. Sat/Sunday Allegany Porsche Club owns the track, so we could watch them run around or maybe the hard core guys could sign up for that and make it a three day track event.

Here is what I'm thinking for now. Remember, this time around the participants will be paying admission, our collection plate has to cover our tab.

Friday, August 4th, those who want to run their car on the racetrack that introduced the USA to the 944 Turbo arrive early, 8Am for breifings and track time. Students come for briefings and classroom chat by experienced racers.
We'll divide the day up into open fast lapping by experienced drivers and slower paced sessions with rookies at the helm. In car rides in race prepped 944s and 944 Turbos should be available all day for a small donation. The track full of waterboys should be quite a sight.

Friday eve after the track shuts down, we'll do our "you bring it, throw it on the grill" cookout. A good meal and some bench racing after a hard day tracking it is an awesome way to make friends. Beer, Jello shots, bonfire, etc.. ABSOLUTELY NOBODY GOES NEAR THE TRACK AFTER THE BEER STARTS FLOWING. There is tons of camping available.

Sat AM, August 5th we'll wake up to the arriving masses of PCA trackers. We can check out the new arrivals, pack up the tents, and gather the group for an 11 AM exodus for the more civilized areas of town. A :30 minute group run to the nearby restuarant mecca, hopefully there will be a base hotel nearby. We break up for lunch, ya'll get McWhoppers or A Grand Slam, whatever floats your boat. Just be ready for the 1PM start of the road rally. You will be handed an envelope with directions, riddles, puzzles and such. I'm not talking "time/speed/distance", I'm talking about riddles along the way with tricky directions and questions. I'll split up the outbound teams, leaving every 5 minutes or so, so we are NOT en masse, but you will see competitiors along the way. If you get lost, you will have a "bail out" envelope to bring you to the end. Rip it open and you are DQ'd from the rally. Participants turn in a question sheet at the end to win prizes from the drive.
I'll try to end somewhere special, and we can take some pictures and collect the quizzes.

Sat eve is a little vague. Maybe we can end at a hotel where we have a group of rooms and take over the bar, party out back near the cars, or something like that. Maybe a restuarant in the area has a party room where we could fit 50 or so folks, tickets available ahead of time for the awards ceremony. We have a lot of options for the finish. This year, I plan to be done Sat eve and folks can limp home Sunday with whatever energy they have left. I'll definately be in a nearby hotel room Sat eve.

It is not cast in stone, it is just my vision. We have a lot of small details left to work out. So far, my organizational team is Winslow (HPFarm), Skip Wolfe, Chip Henderson, myself, and maybe XSBoost Dan. Some of the jobs I'm going to delegate are: registration, finances, lapping day organization (!!!), road rally preparation, mapping, sponsorship, trophies, and door prizes.

As far as $$, it looks like these might be the approximate fees:
Lapping day Friday, camping and 944Fest participation: $100
Camping and 944Fest participation: $30
944Fest participation (road rally) $20
On track rides $20.

On a side note, Glacier Girl is undergoing a transformation. I was going to keep it a secret, but the cat is out of the bag. I went Lindsey wild with their MAF, Hardpipes, Mafterburner, Super65, 4" exhaust, Bilstein shocks,wide band, splitter, stage 2 intercooler, adjustable boost, etc.
This year she will be quite deserving of her place at the point of the pack.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:01 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

*scratches head*

I was thinking that would interfere with the start of school next year... However, I keep forgetting I graduate in 2 months, so there will be no next school year... Here's to hoping....
Old 03-11-2006, 03:15 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm graduating too, but then I'm off to grad school. I should have applied to schools in ohio! It would be a nice road trip from SF though...
Old 03-11-2006, 04:03 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dan,
I'm SO there! If there is anything I can help with, I would be more than willing.

The agenda sounds good to me, i have no qurrales or suggestions at this time.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:09 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the website for the ARPCA DE:
http://www.arpca.com/events/deregister.php

This was my first ever track event 4 years ago. If I remember correctly, it was only $140 for two days! I'm sure costs have increased since then, but it will likely come in under $200. I'd love to make it 3 track days in a row, but then I'd miss out on the fest, and probably wear out a 1/2 a set of tires and brake pads in the process.

DanP, your vision looks 20/20 to me. Although there's no reason we have to stick around NL Saturday night. We could make the Sat drive take us anywhere within 100 miles before crashing at a hotel for one night. Maybe something up by the lake? Or where ever else, you know OH better than me!
Old 03-11-2006, 04:40 AM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I'm graduating too, but then I'm off to grad school. I should have applied to schools in ohio! It would be a nice road trip from SF though...
yee olde west coaster's haveth no fear, Deutsches Motorfest is-eth coming near.

Check your PM's then spread the word. ( I haven't got my account upgraded yet, so I don't want to get in too much trouble with the establishment)
Old 03-11-2006, 04:48 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dan
PM me what you want in prizes from me. Can do. Got some nice native animals can do in A3 size. Plus always the roo *******! Just dont give it to travis!
Old 03-11-2006, 08:07 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh yes, and If I go, I'll be BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSTING it out there!
Old 03-11-2006, 08:18 AM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

I am already planning my finances!!! Wow Dan, that just souunds flippin awesome!!
Old 03-11-2006, 09:27 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

let me know if you want me to make some trophies, i can also help organize the track event or do safety inspections!
Old 03-11-2006, 10:55 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

[Hannible voice]I love it when a plan comes together.[/Hannible voice]
Old 03-11-2006, 11:04 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

Since the trophies were a big hit last year, we can try to do those again. I'm not sure how many, but lets keep an eye out for donor 944 pistons and rods. My mechanic powdercoated them for me free, as sponsorship of the event, but assembly was a bit of work I could certainly delegate.

Dan, thanks for the offer, I'll officially put you on my committee. Plan to be busy Friday with the track event. I think Winslow may be the head honcho for the track day, but I'm certain he will need a LOT of help with tech and organization.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:12 AM
Mike1982
Drifting

Sounds GREAT Dan! The fest should be awesome this year as well. You are putting all that work into your car...? If so, I bet you will be pretty quick around the track.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:54 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im going to see. I have no school or such rubbish, but ive already said yes to Tulameen Daze of August with a bunch of friends... Ill see how the dates work out!
Old 03-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Might want to increase the size of the font for that part about

ABSOLUTELY NOBODY GETS NEAR THE TRACK ONCE THE BEER/JELLO SHOTS START FLOWING

Not trying to be an old curmudgeon or anything

Quick Reply: 944fest 2006- A Vision