Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The end of the blacky- COMPRESSION TEST RESULTS :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005 | 01:26 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

I love all this speculation.

Why not just do a compression test to find out? That will point you in the right direction. Even if it's blowby there is NO WAY that it would be so bad as to cause that much oil to enter the intake system. If it was THAT bad, the car wouldn't even start due to no compression. This isn't the case. I'll put my bets on a cracked AOS or a bad O-ring causing a massive vacuum leak that's pulling the oil up into the intake. Those of you that are saying that it's due to an over full condition on the oil obviously never looked at the system. There is NO WAY that the oil could be so full as to actually enter the AOS. The lower opening of the AOS is far above the oil pan. The max oil level is way below the top of the oil pan.

It's gonna be something simple. These engines are not rocket science to figure out. Hell, I'd even think (from seeing the amount of oil in the air cleaner assembly) that someone actually poured oil into it! It still boggles my mind that THAT much oil made its way into the air cleaner assembly. It would basically have to flow backward to get in there. maybe you emptied out the oil in the intake during a brake test!

Anyway, good luck in your diagnosis. Keep it simple. The most obvious solutions are usually the correct ones. Head gasket..... I always laugh when people throw that one out there... LOL.

Dal.

P.S. Rock - feel free to IM me when I'm on-line.
Old 03-07-2005 | 01:42 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, i am absolutely boggled as to how that much oil made it up there into the air box, figure this one out for sure rock, I want to know how this can happen, this post may be useful for people in the future that may have this problem....
Old 03-07-2005 | 01:51 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually a hard brake test would be the only way that the oil could make it into the air box. I'll bet that the oil was pooling in the intake for a long time, then Rock hit the brakes hard a few times and it sloshed into the air box. I remember when I rebuilt the S2 engine (seriously scored cylinder walls - MASSIVE blowby) I dumped about 1 quart out of the intake when I took it off.

Dal.
Old 03-07-2005 | 02:42 PM
nineeagles
Pro

my thoughts on this Rock are that maybe there was still some pieces of the cat element still unseen in the cat or pipe and it may have become loose and blocked the exhaust causing too much back pressure.....but I still don;t think this would force the oil into the air box.....is this possible?

I go along with the compression test anyway.....thats way too much oil for it to be from rings....
Old 03-07-2005 | 03:04 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Actually it has performed like this for a while (just never smoked like this!). We gutted the cat because we thought it was seriously clogged. It helped. There was always a little oil in there, but never this much! Actually before this, we thought the oil leak problem was the oil filler. IT was cracked in half. Maybe that lead to this problem.

Injectors are good and were just put in. I have to wait until thursday to check the compression because i dont have a compression tester.
Old 03-07-2005 | 04:15 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

COMPRESSION Test results

1 -155 PSI
2 - 150 PSI
3 - 150 PSI
4 - 90 PSI -Put that in your pipe and smoke it

Damn car. First it was the first cylinder with a burnt valve. Now its the 4th cylinder with a piece of crap. Dammit
Old 03-07-2005 | 04:19 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Maybe the bad injector was dumping fuel into cylinder 4, caused it to loose its lubrication and toasted the cylinder walls?
Old 03-07-2005 | 04:22 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rock, well I think you have your answer. Massive blowby on cyl 4. That's where you're getting the crankcase vapors blown/sucked into the intake.

The only real way to fix it is to rebuild.

sorry man.

Dal.
Old 03-07-2005 | 04:32 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Maybe it would be better to just put the black one down and scavange parts off of it for the yellow one. Does the yellow one run?
Old 03-07-2005 | 04:35 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

the yellow runs, right now my stepdad is going to work out an in house lease, to where if i got rid of the black and the yellow i could put it toward a red 944 turbo with 60,000 miles
Old 03-07-2005 | 04:36 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

I KNOW HOW IT HAPPENED! I PUT SAND IN THE AIRBOX AND THEN REDLINED IT TO CLEAN OUT THE INTAKE MANIFOLD! THAT SAND MUST HAVE DONE IT!
Old 03-07-2005 | 04:38 PM
Uranium-235
Three Wheelin'

Boy, that sounds familiar - my "new" '83 has the exact same problem, I just didn't have as much oil in the airbox as you do. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2005 | 04:53 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Step up to another used car that is at least 15 years old, and even higher maintance costs? I dunno, may not be the best move. Plus, if you don't have the cash to cover the difference between selling two 944's in not the best shape, you'll be making payments on top of all the regular repairs and restoration.
Old 03-07-2005 | 04:56 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Rock have you been reading up on that thread a while back where a bunch of guys decided to do a port job on their audi by letting the intake suck in sand?

Sorry to hear the bad luck with the car.
Old 03-07-2005 | 05:10 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

It's bad, but not terminal. Now that the compression test is finally done, we have good information to go on. The #4 cylinder is obviously the culprit. Look at the plugs again - is there scorching on all of them or just #4? Try to pin down whether it is one or multiple simultaneous problems we're chasing here. As far as the #4 cylinder goes, it's probably a bad ring. Pull the head and look, drop the pan and knock the piston out. It's a pain, but you need to know whether it's a bad ring, bad piston, horribly scored cylinder, etc. There's no way to tell without pulling it apart or without a boroscope.

Plan on parking it for awhile (I know you probably don't want to hear this) and pulling it apart and fixing it correctly. It's the only way to stop the headaches / bleeding.

The oil in the air box is a bit weird. I'm inclined to think air / oil separator but you'll almost certainly discover more when you start disassembling things. Best to you, hopefully it works out without too much problems and you only end up replacing the rod bearings, head gasket and a set of piston rings (and some oil).

Quick Reply: The end of the blacky- COMPRESSION TEST RESULTS :(