Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The end of the blacky- COMPRESSION TEST RESULTS :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't know how it would have happneed, but here is my possible theory.

You say it got to 3500 and wouldn't go any further... Here we go!

Ignition cuts out for some reason when it wasn't accelerating, Gas goes into cylinders with no spark, doesn't ignite, goes out through exhaust, goes into the cat pipe, settles in the cat, the cat is hot enough to explode the gas once theres enogh in there, the pop is it exploding and exploding a hole or crack in the cat or pipe somewhere, and possibly fumes or the rest of the gas was burning off inside the cat, or burning what was left of the cat and that was what was making the smoke?

The whole exploding in the cat thing is possible, because it happened on my ford f250 when it wouldnt start and it pushed gas into the exhaust...
Old 03-06-2005, 12:38 PM
tod84944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think any serious damage was done to the engine. If you were able to drive it home, and it didn't sould like a bucket of bolts bouncing around, you are probley ok. Did the smoke smell like oil? or did it smell like straight exhaust? I bet it smelled like oil, and the reason for the bouncing guage was that you lost a bunch of oil.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:38 PM
StupEd05
Pro

special tool - what do you mean "sucked smoke from the heater"? edulge us...
Old 03-06-2005, 12:50 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StupEd05
special tool - what do you mean "sucked smoke from the heater"? edulge us...
If it got past the rubber firewall gasket, then the blowers could have sucked it in.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:27 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

actually, the car is driving like this never happened. Still slow as hell, but last night seemed to have no effect on this.

I think the oil and air arent being seperated. The smoke smelled like Oil, and since i had the pedal to the floor when this happened, the injectors must have been firing at full blast which needed more air which was also filled with oil.

There is a LOT of oil in my airbox and my intake manifold.

Also, the car had a lot of white smoke coming out of it until about a minute after it started up, then the smoke was gone.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:29 PM
TrevorW
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the car 'pop' when you let off the gas or when you were still on it?
Old 03-06-2005, 01:39 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

I'm surprised your car lasted this long. Among other problems, you obviously have a bad head gasket. Please don't get another.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:51 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm sorry to laugh about this but I just played the video and when my dog heard it he just jumped up and ran out of the room...Your car scared him!
Old 03-06-2005, 02:07 PM
nineeagles
Pro

hey Rock....we are all learning so much from you being the test guy for our cars....I hope she is alright and she gets her speed back......
Old 03-06-2005, 02:56 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

That crazy loud pop is a backfire, It doesnt sound mechanical, and if you where able to drive it home, Im sure the engine is in one peace. As for all the oil in the intake, You need to look into that, First oil doesnt burn well, second its gonna build up in the intake in the AFM (since you said you have oil in the airbox) and its also gonaa go into all the vaccum lines and kill them. You need to start doing some diag on the oil
Old 03-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

I agree that you probably haven't done any serious damage. And much oil in the intake would seem to point to oil burning in the engine and not external to it. I suppose a head gasket could leak oil from an oil passage to a cylinder but most often these type of leaks result in oil in the coolant an not 'direct injection'. I think it's time to pull that head off and see. Of course bad piston rings will result in more blowby, which increases activity in the oil breather - resulting in more oil making its way to the intake. But this results in blue exhaust smoke from oil burning, not a 'catastrophic' event.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

I'm surprised your car lasted this long. Among other problems, you obviously have a bad head gasket. Please don't get another
This mindless quote is what ive been trying to ignore, as for the car, it was blessed with these problems when i got it. Geez, again, they made it sound like i went out there and broke it on purpose.

Obviously it doesnt have a bad head gasket, because it just got a brand new one, the cat is GUTTED so no backpressure there, and juding from the high amount of oil in the airbox, intake manifold, J-boot and such

I WOULD THINK THAT AIR WITH OIL IS GETTING INTO THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER.

I think it has something to do with the Air/Oil seperator and especially the vaccum line connected between that and the J boot...
Old 03-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Rock you gotta let it go. Focus on the problem and search for the answer.

There are those among us who feel proper english is paramount to success. Dont get me started.

check your belts..
Old 03-06-2005, 04:41 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Obviously it doesnt have a bad head gasket, because it just got a brand new one
It is possible for it to have failed, been defective, or installed incorrectly. Don't rule anything out until you've checked.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:48 PM
StupEd05
Pro

Exactly, if the head wasnt machined properly when it was installed it could fail very very fast. Dont think thats what it is though. Might want to check your plugs and see what color they are. Drive it a little bit and slowly search through everything. Lack of power is prolly just the oil in the chamber. Just follow the oil trail, prolly just a bad air/oil seperator and the pop is a backfire, nothing bad.

Quick Reply: The end of the blacky- COMPRESSION TEST RESULTS :(