Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The end of the blacky- COMPRESSION TEST RESULTS :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 06:46 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whatever you do, becareful about running it too long without checking the oil, looks like you have about 1/2 a quart of oil in that airbox alone, and lord knows how much burned up. Let me know if you need any parts I have a spare long block.....
Old 03-06-2005, 08:18 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive been checking it and refilling it regularyly. I thought most of the oil was escaping from a leak that was coming out of the cam tower. When damn, it was being burnt up!
Old 03-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Actually, the air filter doesnt have a drop of oil on it. Tis a strange case indeed. Where is Dr. Boost when we need him?
Old 03-06-2005, 08:39 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rock
Obviously it doesnt have a bad head gasket, because it just got a brand new one, ...
OK Rock, your head gasket is just fine.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Jason-85944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks....I told Andy about this today when I saw him. Hopefully he'll see this and lend his suggestion.

Good Luck,

Jason
Old 03-06-2005, 09:12 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't pretend to know one end of a wrench from another, but it sounds to me like some type of positive pressure is being applied to force the oil into the airbox...I have to believe this is related to your other issue of no power/speed...Could an exhaust pipe be collapsed somewhere causing backpressure? Just thinking out loud...?
Old 03-06-2005, 11:20 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your air filter has no oil on it because the oil is running in through the air flow meter, and the air is going the other way. Makes perfect sense
I've been doing a lot of thinking about this, and you definately need to do a compression test.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:30 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

I was driving the car and it didnt bitch for one second.

If something were bad, wouldnt it effect just 1 cylinder? Whatever is happening, its pouring oil onto all 4 spark plugs, effecting all 4 cylinders.

A bad headgasket wouldnt make sense because the car would probally not even start, let alone get those high rpms (it got up there in 1st and 2nd, and i can also take it up there in 3rd and 4th it just depends on how long.

I cleaned the oil out of the airbox with still no change. Since the spark plugs have oil DIRECTLY on them, it would be hard to believe that a worn piston ring could cause this.

If you think about it, the oil and air have to be mixing because there is no way that oil is going to nail the spark plug any other way and in all 4 cylinders. Id have to wear out all 4 cylinders to do that, and somehow, blow the headgasket on all 4 cylinders and manage to get no milkshake in the oil or coolant.

The oil has to be coming in with the air somehow, and im not sure how
Old 03-06-2005, 11:47 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

at least you dont get this:

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Chris, YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM.
Rock if you need some help let me know.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:32 AM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's not a headgasket issue. I can't even start to think what could cause that much oil to pool in the air filter assembly!

The air/oil seperator is below the air filter assembly, unless it's totally clogged there is no way that you should be able to PULL oil out of the engine that far. It's not an oil pressure issue. There is nothing even NEAR there that is pressurized. If it was an oil pressure induced leak then it would be spraying out, not just dribbling.

The only thing that I can even start to think of is that the air/oil seperator is somehow blocked and not letting oil drain back down into the pan. Maybe someone dropped one of those little cardboard seals from the tops of the oil cans into the AOS, blocked the little hole at the bottom?

I can see a little oil film getting to the throttle body, but never backwards into the air box. This looks like it was pouring in.

Do a compression test to see how the rings are (or even better a leakdown).

I still say there is something simple that's causing this. Did you remove the AOS and replace the o-rings on the thing? You might also want to take it apart and clean it out (make sure there is nothing blocking the holes) - yea it's just a bit empty container - snap ring on top. Make sure it's not cracked either.

I'm baffled. There is NOTHING around that are that CAN even put out that much oil, especially into the airbox.

Dal.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:48 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Dal.... youre starting to spark some ideas in my head sir. Would it cause this if the air/oil seperator vaccum line to the J boot were clogged?
Old 03-07-2005, 08:26 AM
Uranium-235
Three Wheelin'

Is there any possibility that there is too much oil in the crankcase? I know you said you have been checking it, but maybe someone added a quart or two, thinking they were helping you out?

Does the oil smell gassy? I had this on my project '83, the #4 cylinder is wiped out, allowing gas to leak down into the crankcase (there are other issues, as well).
Old 03-07-2005, 10:43 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only reason why oil would get into the intake system would be from the AOS, basically the crankcase ventilation system (there is also a hose for the crankcase breather).

Just trying to help.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rock, there are only two reasons that oil would be in the intake/airbox.

1) blocked/cracked air oil separator (it would have to be REALLY blocked) and
2) serious blow by on the rings.

The way the air oil separator works is that it basically allows the oil mist to condense on the walls and drain back into the oil pan. That's it. Nothing more exciting than that. If there is blowby on the rings, the air/oil mist passes through the air oil separator too quickly and the oil mist gets sucked up into the j-boot and burned in the engine. It condenses along the way and can (if there is a lot of it) pool in the intake or at the throttle body.
The speed of the air going through the air oil separator is the key. The speed of the air can also be increased by a crack in the air/oil separator or by a bad seal between the AOS and the block (the little - usually rock hard o-rings). This will allow for air from the outside of the engine to be sucked through the AOS and take the oil mist up into the intake with it.

The poor running engine is a direct result of the oil in the intake. Oil tends to drastically lower the octane of the fuel, and in your case, totally fry your air air flow meter and throttle position sensor (I'll bet that the insides are totally bathed in oil). Not only that, I'll bet that the oil got into the idle control valve system and is gumming up the works in there. Rubber hoses also do not like oil. It tends to eat through the hose and cause it to leak bady. If I were you I'd take the time to get all new hoses, take the intake off, take the AOS off and clean that area out. Replace all the hoses, replace the o-rings on the AOs (after you check it for cracks) and then put everything back together again. I'd also take the injectors out to be cleaned and checked while I was at it also. This WILL solve your problems, unless the blowby is so bad that it'll gum up the works again in no time, but then again a compression test will tell you what's going on there.

Good luck,

Dal.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:54 PM
NO-H2O
Instructor

FROM ALL THE THINGS YOU HAVE SAID IN THE PAST ABOUT YOUR CAR AND WHAT YOUR BUDDIES HAVE SAID ABOUT YOUR CAR i'D SAY ITS A BAD RING OR TWO OR THREE.. MAYBE FOUR.. damn cap's....
I wasnt doing anything! I was driving at a normal pace to hear how the gutted cat sounded and get a cool video of it.... maybe it just wasn't meant for you to own a 944 my man..

Quick Reply: The end of the blacky- COMPRESSION TEST RESULTS :(