Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The end of the blacky- COMPRESSION TEST RESULTS :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 02:28 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rennlist star oh shine, on the black of mine. Cast a warm light on a porsche thats breaking
Old 03-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hehe, do you speak german Rock? Perhaps if you talk nicely to it in it's native language... works for me sometimes.

I hate to say it, but the fuel washed cylinder sounds plausible...
If you can't do a leakdown test, then I would say at this point you have sufficient information to start a teardown. If you can, do it first, because you can't later.
Hopefully it's something simple like a burnt valve, and not a destroyed cylinder, but for some reason, #4 likes to go first...
Old 03-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Uranium-235
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been hearing the "#4 goes first" thing for awhile, any idea why?

In the case of overheating, could it be because that is the cylinder furthest away from the radiator?
Old 03-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

#4 tends to go first because (for whatever reason) the fuel-air mixture tends to be slightly leaner than the other cylinders. This is why it's probably a good idea to do your AFM tuning off that cylinder. This is more pronounced in the turbo cars, but it might be in the n/a cars also.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Uranium-235
Three Wheelin'

I've heard the non multiport Chevy small blocks can have the same problem, with two cylinders tending to run lean, because of the intake manifold runner length. Maybe the same reason, here?
Old 03-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Possibly - makes sense. It might also have to do with the way the air circulates within the intake at different speeds, since it has to take various corners and certain "swirling" and other dynamics would be introduced that would vary according to engine speed, air pressure, etc. The intake runners are different for the n/a and the turbo though, so it's a bit unlikely that the exact same combination of dynamics would occur with both intakes. I'd suspect something else initially - perhaps the #4 injector isn't getting proper signal and isn't opening enough so the mixture there is lean? Could still be a lot of things.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:51 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Rock:

Your other post has been closed I may also be interested in "Blacky." Depending on how things go in school, I may want to get a project 944 for my 15 yr old. I know you said you need some parts, but maybe something can be worked out. Just keep that in mind.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:02 PM
NO-H2O
Instructor

MichelleJD,
I think Wes closed it because Rock was getting kicked a bit.... hey I've no issues with rock himself..I just think that SOMEHOW bad things happen to Rock ALOT! and he will... I think have bad luck with his new 951 as well somehow something, some where will go wrong BUT it WON'T be Rocks fault..hahahah!
Good luck Rock.. I hope the all of your good buddies ( and I DO mean good buddies.. they DO ALOT for you!! ) and all can keep this one running.
Be safe and Don't speed!
Old 03-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

For all you nay sayers, ill keep you all in health

The black car was BAD LUCK. LETS define bad luck here once and for all ********.

BAD LUCK- When you get a car and BEFORE YOU EVEN TOUCH IT, IT HAS A BURNT VAVLE. THATS BAD LUCK! PREVENTATIVE MAITENENCE HAS BEEN DONE IN GOD KNOWS HOW LONG. THATS BAD LUCK. REBUILDING THE ENGINE TO HAVE THE CYLINDER GET FRIED BAD A BAD INJECTOR A MONTH LATER, THATS BAD LUCK.

Lets define stupidity- Having the hood unlatched and driving with it. Thats stupidity.

Clearly you ******** think im going to unlatch the hood on this. Obviously you dont know me, and you are going by what you hear on the forum. Let me tell you bastards, i didnt do **** for the black to run how it did. I didnt ask to fry the cylinder, i didnt ask to burn the valve. What i am going to ask for, is for you people who have nothing better to do than to sit here and tell me my next car is going to break, to please shut up. When i get this turbo, and WHEN it is a better car than you will ever touch in your life, i will just sit there and laugh.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

You said i cant afford the upkeep on an N/a. Well my N/a was a very special case.

Most people consider preventative maitenece on their 944s a timing belt change.

Well, preventative maitenence on mine was BALL JOINTS, SHOCKS, STRUTS, POWER STEERING RACK, POWER STEERING PUMP, ALTERNATOR, TIMING BELT, BALANCE SHAFT BELT, ROLLERS, BURNT VALVES, PULLING THE HEAD, TRANSMISSION, CLUTCH.

Hows that for PM? I got blessed with the abused 944.

Look at it this way. We will compare the car to some people on the list. Your parents had you, and knew you were special and would never be able to compete with other kids, mentally or physically. But did they throw you out or stop spending money on you? Noooo.

Just like with my car. Its not going to compare to other 944's mechanically or lookswise, but did i throw it out. Nooo. I kept putting money into it like it was a sick little baby. I loved the car no matter what other people thought of it, even if it were a special 944.

Ask your parents, im sure they will feel the same way.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

About the car Michelle I dunno i think this is a problem car that just needs to go. Youll probally be looking at a new engine to start with, then a new clutch and transmission aside from that, its really ugly.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock
For all you nay sayers, ill keep you all in health

The black car was BAD LUCK. LETS define bad luck here once and for all ********.

BAD LUCK- When you get a car and BEFORE YOU EVEN TOUCH IT, IT HAS A BURNT VAVLE. THATS BAD LUCK! PREVENTATIVE MAITENENCE HAS BEEN DONE IN GOD KNOWS HOW LONG. THATS BAD LUCK. REBUILDING THE ENGINE TO HAVE THE CYLINDER GET FRIED BAD A BAD INJECTOR A MONTH LATER, THATS BAD LUCK.

Lets define stupidity- Having the hood unlatched and driving with it. Thats stupidity.

Clearly you ******** think im going to unlatch the hood on this. Obviously you dont know me, and you are going by what you hear on the forum. Let me tell you bastards, i didnt do **** for the black to run how it did. I didnt ask to fry the cylinder, i didnt ask to burn the valve. What i am going to ask for, is for you people who have nothing better to do than to sit here and tell me my next car is going to break, to please shut up. When i get this turbo, and WHEN it is a better car than you will ever touch in your life, i will just sit there and laugh.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rock, I've got faith in ya. You can show all these people that you can and will care for the 951.

Also, shall we add that car to the auction? start it at $50.00, car, hood, sunroof, and nose panel?
Old 03-08-2005, 04:16 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rock
You said i cant afford the upkeep on an N/a. Well my N/a was a very special case.

Most people consider preventative maitenece on their 944s a timing belt change.

Well, preventative maitenence on mine was BALL JOINTS, SHOCKS, STRUTS, POWER STEERING RACK, POWER STEERING PUMP, ALTERNATOR, TIMING BELT, BALANCE SHAFT BELT, ROLLERS, BURNT VALVES, PULLING THE HEAD, TRANSMISSION, CLUTCH.

Hows that for PM? I got blessed with the abused 944.

Wow Rock, I've replaced almost everytthing you did, except the transmission. Cry me a river.

Your car wasn't a "very special case," it was a 20 year old cheap sports car.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Tom i wasnt directing that toward you man. I understand what youre trying to say, and ive also learned A LOT from the N/a to not make the same mistakes again

I know its 20 years old, and thas why i am saying back off guys. Make sense? 20 Year old car, i had some problems with, i learned im moving on and im not gonna make the same mistakes again, be it my fault or the cars

Quick Reply: The end of the blacky- COMPRESSION TEST RESULTS :(