Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are some Rock-esque moves you've pulled?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 09:49 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Awesome cars Pete! Those rides fit perfect back in your black sabbath days. I can just imagine you getting out of that Z28 with your leather pants and Paul Stanley chest hair. Two words: CHEST ROCKWELL.

Good to see youve (ahem, WE'VE) improved automotive tastes quite a bit over the years!
Old 12-14-2004, 09:59 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did a scary one on a return trip from the mountains last year in the 924S...

Well let me preface this story by saying I just absolutely cannot get over the sound of my exhaust. God help me if I get near a tunnel or an underpass, or even those little cement dividers on the highway, the sound of my exhaust echoing gives me a major cargasm. I always will roll down the windows and give it a little gas.

Anyway, on the return trip from Breckinridge to my school, there are 2 tunnels on I-70 that must be passed through. The first one is about a mile long (Eisenhower Tunnel) and the second, about a quarter mile long. Well it had been snowing all day, so I was anxious to get home and go to bed, because after a long day of snowboarding, I was cold and tired. I pass through Eisenhower Tunnel, and the sound was awesome... I'm getting much closer to home, staying with the speed of traffic. My friend in the passenger seat, me driving, and 2 snowboards on the ski rack. We get close to the second tunnel, so I think, "Hey, I'm gonna open a gap, so I can floor it for the tunnel!" Yeah... so I open the gap, roll down the windows, and get ready to floor it. It's still snowing, and I go ahead and give it the gas after shifting from 5th to 3rd. The back end of the Porsche whips about halfway into the left lane (as there was a nice wet spot, probably ice at the entrance to the tunnel), and I'm thinking "JESUS CHRIST!!!! WHAT THE F*CK WAS I THINKING?!?!?! I'M GONNA KILL THE BOTH OF US IN A TUNNEL!"

Luckily, the master drive training I talked about earlier in this thread paid off...I managed to save our lives, no damage to anything except for my ego, and we got home safely... After that, my friend who'd been completely silent the whole trip back looks over at me.... I asked her "You felt that didn't you?" She replies, "Yeah...I did. Luckily I have faith in your driving skills to not kill us both." I nearly shat myself, and she didn't seem to care...

Since that day, unless its a nice, warm, sunny and DRY Colorado day, I have not yet given it gas in a tunnel entrance
Old 12-14-2004, 10:00 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ughhum, ok, a little more to the stupid side slightly off from drunk. Out with two friends in my G60 Corrado looking for trouble, we cruise down towards the city and spot a slow moving train. We decided to get ahead of the train , park the car and go for a ride on the train, hop off in Dayton or something and catch a bus or cab home, whatever.. We cruise up ahead, park the car and wait, by the time the train made it up there, he was at prolly 35-45 MPH. EH, nevermind. Off to more trouble, I recalled some fun crossings to ramp, extremely steep. We get there, check the spot and it looks more like a wall than a ramp. We go around the block to catch a little speed, about 35MPH. Perfect jump, perfect landing, I could have held a full glass of wine all the way. Fun? yes, but waaay too controlled and smooth, we needed excitement! We circle back 2 blocks this time, I give it hell and we jump it this time about 70-80MPH, fun yes, untill the apex of the jump. Realizing that we are landing about 40 feet past the landing ramp, I knew it was going to hurt, that and landing at a steep angle. The landing was hard, it ripped the rear speakers out of their plastic mountings and one was wedged between the windshield and the dash from the rear! The PS pump was smeared, ripped the drive belt off and crammed the front core support up about 4 inches, along with a crushed oilpan. We made it home still, to drink more....
Old 12-14-2004, 10:01 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

There's also that time I broke my back because I missed the mattresses. But that didn't involve a car, so I don't know if it qualifies...

Though it did involve a tractor-trailer...

BB.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:02 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell, I'd kill to have that Mustang back! That thing was mint!

I don't know about the sidewalk. I was 17 and had a hot car. What did I care about sidewalks!

I shouldn't do this but, just for the complete visual image for UDPride, here's me in 1977.

Old 12-14-2004, 10:08 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Ok...quick break off topic, I must say this is the best thread I've started!

Keep em coming!
Old 12-14-2004, 10:09 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Something weird happened 15 years ago but I'm not ready to talk about it yet.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:13 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Peckster
Something weird happened 15 years ago but I'm not ready to talk about it yet.

Oh c'mon, the statute of limitations must be over by now.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Its too bad i cant participate in this because you know my stories already.

I still have all the parts that have fallen off (nose panel, hood, windshield, bondo bumper, etc.) I think i going to save them as trophys and maybe bring them to 944 fest so we can all stare in amazement

Pete that picture is awesome
Old 12-14-2004, 10:19 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

one of the times being older has its advantages grasshopper...

Yeah, Pete's a happenin dude.. I dont have a scanner (nevermind- Ex took ALL the pictures.. You guys would have loved my Gremlin X.. )
Old 12-14-2004, 10:20 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rock
Its too bad i cant participate in this because you know my stories already.

I still have all the parts that have fallen off (nose panel, hood, windshield, bondo bumper, etc.) I think i going to save them as trophys and maybe bring them to 944 fest so we can all stare in amazement

Pete that picture is awesome
Rock, I actually don't know the story of you running over your nose panel...I just know it happened...
Old 12-14-2004, 10:21 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Basically it just fell off and im like "oh no what was that" then i pull in the driveway, my mom comes up and hands me the nose panel then its like... damn
Old 12-15-2004, 01:59 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

it just fell off? wierd....
Old 12-15-2004, 02:36 AM
bloodraven
Race Car

First night in the red 951, in the rain, never drove a manual before, except once in my uncles truck....I was going to work, and was stopped on a hill, as a car pulled up behind me and was around an inch from the *** end of the car. I got scared ****less, and slammed the gas, spinning tires through second gear...not able to get traction on the really wet roads....dumb move...should have just let off the clutch with my foot on the brake until I felt it catch...then step on teh gas....noooo...had to spin out....
Old 12-15-2004, 04:15 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a friend who was a huge Porsche fan, sort of a poser too. I always reminded him that I was the Porsche fan, being as my parents each had one, and though I didn'd have one at the time, I have one now and he has a Subaru Forrester. He just said "those aren't real Porsches anyway"... Well it wasn't over until the fat lady sang. I finally decided to shut him up one day and show him what a real Porsche was like. He kept rubbing his dad's benz 500E (with "porsche designed engine") in my face, so I decided to take him for a ride in my mom's 944. Of course, I just told my mom I wanted to take her car to my friend's house because my car was parked in a good parking spot and I didn't want to lose it.

My mom's car has been running on the same bald tires for like 4 years. I don't know why. That day, it had just rained in the early morning, so by the time I was out with my friend, it was still wet. I thought to myself "I can't show off the acceleration, this car don't got it. But it handles like an indy car... I can show that off". So i took a turn at the next intersection (which sloped downhill from our currently level path). I floored it in 3rd, with bald tires and wet road. The car fishtailed like 4 times back and forth, and I don't know jack about controlling a car like that, so I paniced and slammed the clutch instead of the brake, so I totally slid everywhere. I slammed the left rear into a range rover in the end. The owner came out of his house and agreed to let me pay for it instead of calling the insurance and jacking up the premium on a 19 year old in a porsche. He was a total ******* and wanted $5000 for a dented fender and bent front rail. My friend was shook up, and to this day thinks the 944 isn't a real porsche. My premium went way up, and higher still when i bought my own version of what i crashed a year earlier. This was in February 2004.

Now I only floor it on straight roads with no parked cars or people. Also, that 944 still has those bald tires.

Quick Reply: What are some Rock-esque moves you've pulled?