Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of New People Lately - Let's do a "Get To Know Each Other" Post For New & Old!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004 | 02:02 AM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Name: Andrew

Hobbies: Cars, Soccer, Guitar, Changing diapers on my 4 month old son

Porsche Genesis:
Started this thing with cars when trained as a mechanic during my 2-year National Service military stint in Singapore; started car collection thing with a VW Type-3 Fastback, learnt about VW's association with Porsche, started wanting a 911, and ended up with 2 water-pumpers

Traded Fastback and used the funds to buy wifey a wedding ring. Many moons later, we realised a we needed another car, and wifey said "I'm grateful for the ring...go get yourself something you like...." and so began the Porsche addition....

Found out about Rennlist from the Pelican board
Old 07-26-2004 | 08:09 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ACG
Traded Fastback and used the funds to buy wifey a wedding ring. Many moons later, we realised a we needed another car, and wifey said "I'm grateful for the ring...go get yourself something you like...." and so began the Porsche addition....
It's taken me 8 years but I'm finally finding this to be a very effective way of getting Porsche related toys (Michelle & Patti don't think ill of me ). Wife is going to Germany to see some friends in about a week and we haven't exactly put aside a special vacation fund for her, so I took some money from our savings and transfered it and said that it was her vacation fund. She was very very happy... needless to say I ended up getting a whole new CD/Stereo system & a V1 with a bonus that I got from work that was suppose to go towards savings also.

I also surprised her with a China dinner setting that she has been wanting since I've known her. I found it for an incredibly low price (like 75% off regular price). It was so cheap I bought her 2 settings. She was again very happy. Her comment was, "ok what do you want for your car now?" I just laughed and said, "nothing". Which is the truth... for now

I hate to make it sound like the barter system, but it sure is effective!
Old 07-26-2004 | 08:37 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

"ok what do you want for your car now?" "nothing".

Liar!

Originally Posted by GOBOGIE
It's taken me 8 years but I'm finally finding this to be a very effective way of getting Porsche related toys (Michelle & Patti don't think ill of me ). Wife is going to Germany to see some friends in about a week and we haven't exactly put aside a special vacation fund for her, so I took some money from our savings and transfered it and said that it was her vacation fund. She was very very happy... needless to say I ended up getting a whole new CD/Stereo system & a V1 with a bonus that I got from work that was suppose to go towards savings also.

I also surprised her with a China dinner setting that she has been wanting since I've known her. I found it for an incredibly low price (like 75% off regular price). It was so cheap I bought her 2 settings. She was again very happy. Her comment was, "ok what do you want for your car now?" I just laughed and said, "nothing". Which is the truth... for now

I hate to make it sound like the barter system, but it sure is effective!

Last edited by Dan87951; 07-26-2004 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2004 | 09:34 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Charlie Yarbrough

Hobbies: Golf & Cars

Porsche Genesis: I have been a car nut since my 7th or 8th grade year in school. Used to read all car magazines, Car & Driver, Road & Track, Motor Trend etc. from those early years till now. First car out of college was a used 1967 MGB. First new car was a 1972 Corvette.
I started buying German cars in the 1970's. Had Opels, BMW's, Scirroco's. Around 1976 I bought a 1972 Opel GT to play with. The car would run 100 mph. I modified a low mileage 1975 Manta engine with a ported and polished head, dual valve springs, higher compression pistons, performance cam, solid lifters, Weber 45DCOE side draft and more. Drove 1400 (700 one way) miles to have the Weber tuned to the engine. The car would then run 135 mph, which was pretty good for an Opel GT.
In 1980 I bought my first Porsche which was a 1977 911 Targa. It was a fun car. Since then I have had four 944's, one 968 and two more 911's. The 86 that I currently have was bought off ebay with a bad engine. I rebuilt the engine and enjoy driving the car even if it is not very fast. My favorite Porsche was my 94 911, it was fast and fun but that is another long story.
I honestly don't remember how I found Rennlist. I remember the days when it was a mailing list, but don't remember how long ago that was.
Old 07-26-2004 | 09:41 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Hi, Jim here.

I'm 55

I started a business in order to get rich, and well it hasn't worked, yet. www.perfectdefence.ca

Having a Porsche has been on my mind in some form or other since I was a kid and two years ago it just happened. I happened on a repo'd 944 that had been hidden in a barn for two years, It looked goood. I won't go into the details but the ownership was transferred to me from Her Majesty the Queen. It was running but nobody could tell me much and a PPI was out of the question. I asked someone I trust, Mantis Racing, and they told me what I might be in for. So I plunked down 4 Gs' and flatbedded it to Mantis where I parted with another 5 big ones. Belts, waterpump, rad (used) ( that proved to be a mistake) new shocks, new bushings, tune up, all new fluids. I recall mentioning at home rather casually that by the way i bought a Porsche and that I needed some help cleaning out the garage. My Daughter 16 and Son 19 at that time pitched in. So here we are, the car has been a joy. My son isn't allowed to drive it again unitl he coughs up some dough to fix the bodywork from a guardrail he nicked while spinning on Snake Road. My daughter desperately wants to drive the car but I'd rather not. I got her a 95 YJ that shes happy with for now. I love to explore the limits of the handling and I'm getting pretty good at power slides at 5000 RPM in 2nd. I really need more power though so I've got a 951 in my sights. Will I sell my 85.5, na its going into the collection. In fact I'm thinking of leasing a larger place for my business just so I 'll have a decent place to work on the car(s)
Old 07-26-2004 | 10:40 PM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Charlie
Charlie Yarbrough

Hobbies: Golf & Cars

Porsche Genesis: I have been a car nut since my 7th or 8th grade year in school. Used to read all car magazines, Car & Driver, Road & Track, Motor Trend etc. from those early years till now. First car out of college was a used 1967 MGB. First new car was a 1972 Corvette.
I started buying German cars in the 1970's. Had Opels, BMW's, Scirroco's. Around 1976 I bought a 1972 Opel GT to play with. The car would run 100 mph. I modified a low mileage 1975 Manta engine with a ported and polished head, dual valve springs, higher compression pistons, performance cam, solid lifters, Weber 45DCOE side draft and more. Drove 1400 (700 one way) miles to have the Weber tuned to the engine. The car would then run 135 mph, which was pretty good for an Opel GT.
In 1980 I bought my first Porsche which was a 1977 911 Targa. It was a fun car. Since then I have had four 944's, one 968 and two more 911's. The 86 that I currently have was bought off ebay with a bad engine. I rebuilt the engine and enjoy driving the car even if it is not very fast. My favorite Porsche was my 94 911, it was fast and fun but that is another long story.
I honestly don't remember how I found Rennlist. I remember the days when it was a mailing list, but don't remember how long ago that was.

Holy Crap!!! What a small world. I thought that you sold your 944 a long time ago. This is Bryan Chapman. You may or may not remember me but I was actually in one of your classes. Last time I saw you was during the summer that you were working at the Chevy place. Wow, your car was probely the reason that I really wanted a 944. Its good to see that you got another one.
Old 07-26-2004 | 10:56 PM
boffam
Advanced

Name: Michael Boffa

Non-Porsche hobbies: Hockey, golf, music (playing and listening).

Porsche genesis: I have always been a big sportscar racing fan, and the first ones I saw live were the 935's and then the 962's. Awesome. My 944 genesis was the old Rothman's Challenge...a Canadian series in the late 80's that featured Canadian road racing all-stars going at it in identical 944's (and later 944 Turbo's, IIRC). And I do mean going at it. Funny how wild the racing can be when someone else supplies the equipment!

I forget exactly how I got onto Rennlist...just before I bought my car 5 weeks ago I was in a clicking frenzy trying to find out everything I could about buying a 944. Rennlist did get a plug from a good buddy on the SPEED TV boards (http://insider.speedtv.com).
Old 07-26-2004 | 11:20 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bryan,
It is unbelievable that you are the skinny kid that was in my class around 1992. I have seen and read your post, but had no idea that it was you. I can't believe you bought a 951. I have always hoped I was a positive influence on my students but this is a big plus. I remember your coming into the Chevy place, it seems if you were looking at a Camaro, but I could be wrong. Next time you are up this way bring your 951 by the house, I would love to see it. Good to hear from you.
Old 07-27-2004 | 01:49 AM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

I have always hoped I was a positive influence on my students but this is a big plus.
That reminds me of a former student of mine who really didn't do too well in my class, but everytime I mentioned Porsche, he took in every last word. Although he wasn't a very dedicated student, he was my first convert to the world of Porsche. Coming from the world of Corvettes and Mustang Cobras, he came back after the summer a changed man. He was my aide and it was almost overnight, it seemed, that he was living and breathing Porsche, just like me, his former teacher.

For his graduation present, his father gave him a 1987 944 n/a, in excellent condition. He could have had any number of more powerful cars, but he wanted a Porsche, nothing less. Since then, his father has also been converted, and they have come to own another 944, a 928, and also a 911S. He may not have learned much of the subject at hand (I tried, but he didn't...), but I certainly instilled a deep love for all things Porsche in him.

Old 07-27-2004 | 11:04 AM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

Bryan,
I remember your coming into the Chevy place, it seems if you were looking at a Camaro, but I could be wrong.
I think your right. Boy I'm glad that fell through. What the hell was I thinking. The wife and I are looking to move back to Decatur, so I'm up there a lot these days. Next time we plan a trip that way, I'll let you know.
Old 07-27-2004 | 01:28 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Cory, you kill me man! BTW - thanx for my new avatar

Name: Michelle Hubert

Occupation: ***'t Public Defender (not a REAL lawyer according to some of my clients)

For relaxation (ha!) I like to work on my old house (purple!), collect antiques, and read. :sigh: Wouldn't that be nice.

Got my first Porsche from my friend and divorce att'y in FL just as I entered law school. It had 150K miles at the time and now has 275K. I still have it, but it looks like it might be sold. I decided to beef it up a bit and realized it'd be cheaper to get a 951. The perfect one came along in 2/03 and she now sits in my drive. She'll soon be getting a heart and brain transplant.

I can't remember how I discovered the 'list. I think it was a Google search. Joined in 4/02 and was the first consistent female poster to the 944 forums. I don't feel so alone anymore and I really appreciate the warm welcome I received here. There isn't a large contingent of women here, but we are still here and I like that.
Old 07-27-2004 | 03:34 PM
buckshot
Addict
Rennlist Member

hello all!
name marty krebs
age 49
occupation... owner office machine dealership.
hobbies... hunting, fishing, anthing fast. (own 4 boats including polaris 1050 pwc moded to
do 65.4 on gps)
favorites in life.. in proper order, wife,(my best friend) dog,(golden retriever, second best friend)
car, (89 s2 best therapy for me in a grumpy mood)

how i found rennlist?? good question, probably from a web search. found it and it has helped me
more than i ever imagined in restoring my 89 s2. lots of good advice and very little bad.
my 89 s2 came by me via a customer of mine... he likes to buy and fix "dead cars"
this one had a blown engine with 90k on it.. he bought an identical car a wreck with only 49k on it.
just had belts etc. all done. made one out of two, got tired of it, his wife said if you buy another this one goes and it went to me.. so far i have done following...
control arms, koni rear shocks, instrument cluster lighting, sfr stainless exhaust, re-dyed leather
seats (linen color interior) 17"chrome turbo twists with painted centercaps, new blaupunkt cd stereo,
boxster shift ****, new interior control switches, r134a ac conversion, and lots and lots of cleaning... it was a show winner at the mid-america motoworks funfest this june!!
thanks again to all you listers who help us "novice" wrenchers!
"buckshot wi"
Old 07-27-2004 | 06:18 PM
SkippyCrunchySmooth
Advanced

Name: Brandon "Skip" Tirrell
Non-Porsche Related Hobbies: Other types of cars. I'm pretty car-obsessed, and have one year to go on my physics degree, and hopefully I'll continue on to a masters in industrial or mechanical engineering so that I can design cars professionally (Porsche, are you listening?).
Porsche Genesis: I started saving for my car when I was 15, finally bought it a year and a half ago, and have been loving it ever since. It is my first car and I hope to never sell it. I plan to own other Porsches, but never at the expense of my first.
How I found Out About Rennlist: Someone told me to check the rennlist classifieds when I was in the market for my car.
Old 07-27-2004 | 10:16 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Привет, я - российский Молоток, и я нарушу Вас.

Name: Ronald Swift IV

Job?: No Job as of now (parents got me working around house) can't arguee they pay tuition. However when school starts backup. I will have to get a job somewere.

Non-Porsche Hobbies: Computers (all they involve), I did play lots of sports, I have a large addiction to fine looking women problem is they don't seem to have an addiction in me (its a universal problem I am told).

Porsche Start: Rode home in a 84 stone grey 944 from the hosipital. Then my parents bought my car in late 1991. I got the car to myself (had to share with sister for 3 years) about 2 months ago. I have hit a few delays in making my car nice (Shareing it) and then (cashflow) and a few tranny explosions here and there. However I hope for clear sailing from here on out (knock on wood)

How I found rennlist: I crossed its path many times however, I was looking into how to fix my blown tranny and stumbled across it again and started posting havn't stoped yet!

Last edited by Fishey; 07-29-2004 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-27-2004 | 10:24 PM
Hawk36
Racer

Name: Darryl Hancock

Non-Porsche Related Hobbies: Not many, can't afford much after the Porsche. That and between work and I'm in the Army Reserves not much time.

Porsche Genesis: As far back as I can remember I have love and wanted a Porsche. It's not a coincidence that me and the 911 were born the same year.

How I found Out About Rennlist: Right after I bought my 944 I was doing internet searches to find out everything I could find out about my new addiction and found Rennlist. It rocks...

Quick Reply: Lots of New People Lately - Let's do a "Get To Know Each Other" Post For New & Old!!!