Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of New People Lately - Let's do a "Get To Know Each Other" Post For New & Old!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 12:23 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Legoland951
...running marathons (9x L. A. marathon 1x L. B. marathon)
Hey Frank, I'm training for my first (Houston Marathon in January). I'm running my first half on my birthday on the 21st of this month. Fighting with shin splints something awful, but making ground. An 8 mile hill course followed by 4 miles of flat absolutely KILLED them about a month ago. Back to coming under control though, but I have to be careful.

I'm training with Team in Training along with my wife who started me down this road when she walked her first marathon on Jan 1 this year. I decided I wanted to do one, but to run and she decided to run with me. The shocking part of this is I was a flabby 260 lbs at the time. Weight is coming off now, but not as fast as I'd like.

We're going to the Anchorage marathon next June and walking with my father-in-law and soon to be new mother-in-law. My father-in-law's previous wife passed from Leukemia (Team in Training benefits the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society for those who don't know).
Old 11-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

George, be careful not to run with injuries to keep a schedule. Those injuries can stay with you for the rest of your life (ex. my left knee). If you are doing 1/2 marathons by now, you are going to be ready for a full marathon by january provided you stay in shape and don't get any injuries. Do not change shoes right before an event and I find its better to wear the same shirt/shorts and shoe/sock combination during the workouts as well as for the actual event. I had underarm burns from wearing a regular shirt just from rubbing my inner arm against my body. Same goes with shorts rubbing between legs or shirt against chest (vaseline areas well before the run). You are a very lucky man because your wife can train and run with you.

Its admirable you are running for a cause. Don't worry about the weight coming off because it will come off naturally. Its great to be in shape to run a marathon but it also takes a toll on your body. When I ran my first one back in 1988, I weighed 125 lb. and lost 8 pounds in one day down to 117. Now I am a whale compared to back then especially when I put on 32 pounds in the last 8 months. Good luck with your progress and keep us posted
Old 11-04-2004, 04:50 PM
Geo
Race Director

Thanks for all the advice Frank. I log my runs <http://www.coolrunning.com> and my shoes currently have just over 100 miles on them right now. I just changed a couple of months ago. My wife and I took part in a study commissioned by Brooks and the doc we saw (long time marathoner and multiple Boston qualifier/runner) really helped a lot. My old shoes were absolute toast. The new ones have been a great help.

The only thing I'm changing up for the half is to wear a Team in Training race singlet. If it's cool enough I may wear it over my training shirt.

The shin splints have been hell. In the spring I was doing GREAT, easily running 6 miles on the trot without water or walking and still had reserve. When the shin splints hit I stopped all activity for two months and all running for 3 months. When they came back I decided to see if I could manage them. So far so good, Overall they are getting better, but sometimes they absolutely scream at me. I did some track work Tuesday night and did have the program and walked a bit. When I started running again I did about 50 yards and knew I was done.

Sounds strange to some, but I'm really looking forward to doing this. I thought marathoners were nuts and thought my wife was when she decided to get involved. Now it's a huge goal that I know I can do if I just stick with the training program. We have a great coach who has been doing this for 20+ years and has qualified for and run Boston and has even done four 100 milers. Funny thing is he's out of shape as well and we're kind of motivating each other. My goal for Houston is just an official finish (6 hours), but after that I'm going to start working on the speed and, well, I have a secret wild goal, but I'll keep that to myself for now. When I first decided to run a marathon it seemed like a crazy (and to most people unattainable for me) goal. Running for Team in Training is incredibly rewarding.

Lastly, you're right, I'm really lucky that my wife and I not only can train together, but we started at pretty much the same time so we're still running together unlike many couples who run but run widely different times.

I can't wait to do the half on my birthday. I'm going to make a big party out of it!
Old 11-04-2004, 07:19 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

For once a good thread to revive...

Name: Brendan

Occupation: 5th year Spanish major at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver. Studied one year abroad at the Universite de Paris III - Sorbonne Nouvelle. Graduate Spring 2005.
When my schedule allows I'm a Production Assistant for TV commercials here in "Hollywood North"

Interests: Languages: Fluent in English and French, advanced in Spanish and Italian, basic in German
Acting: training on the side to pursue a dream I've had for a long time.
Cars: I've always had a connection with cars, and I'm learning to work on my 944
Music: I love all kinds of music, I play a little electric guitar now and then, which I'd like get good at
Videogames: got an NES at the age of 6, been hooked ever since...but games nowadays are getting too complicated and time-demanding...
Abstract art, reading, foreign culture (love japanese cars, games, anime) and TRAVELLING is a big one...and I'm interested in autox, when I can afford to maintain a track car :P

Porsches: I started with a 1981 Ford Mustang my dad bought me in grade 11, I was stoked to have a car, but I realized that I didn't care about that car, it just wasn't me...I was looking at Integras for a while (thank god I didn't stay on that track!), then one day my mother's ex mentioned the 944..l said it could be had cheap...so I called a guy up in the paper and went and looked at a 1983 944...THAT was love at first sight! My god I had to have that car...the guy was a sleazebag, and the car had high miles and was a little rough all over...but I just loved that car. Then one day, I was talking with my hairdresser, that her husband was selling his 1986 944...it hadn't been used in years and just sat in the the garage...and it had SUPER low miles. I went and saw it and I realized I HAD to have it. So I sold my 83 to a great new owner (who has since restored it) and I took out a small loan for the 944! I was so stoked. Black on black leather, I bought it with 73k km on the car (about 45k miles); Canadian car from Toronto, he was the 2nd owner (1st owner had it for a year), no accidents, full professional repaint at Ferrari shop. I've had a blast buying bits and pieces off ebay for it...though being in school right now I have it off the road. Can't wait to graduate!
My dream car right now would be either a black (or graphite) on black 1989 951 with lotsa room for mods, and/or a black on black 1991 S2 Cab with some nice deep lip wheels. Both with euro and 968 accents, AIR splitters, clear lenses, euro fogs, and AMAZING sound systems.

Rennlist: I met 944S2NUT at the annual Whistler PCA meeting, he was with a bunch of other 944 owners...We got to talking and the rest is history!

Oh yeah, a BIG bonus for me is that my girlfriend LOVES coming on P-car runs!
Thanks to everyone here who make this site so great...I love learning about my car in the winter and going back to it in the spring with much more appreciation!
Below: My 1986 944 NA, and me and my girlfriend on the 944FrontEngineFest run to Hell's Gate, BC
Attached Images   
Old 11-04-2004, 08:27 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Geo, do you wear custom made orthotics (such as foot levelers) in your running shoes? They may help with the shin splints.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:49 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Karl2bdc
Geo, do you wear custom made orthotics (such as foot levelers) in your running shoes? They may help with the shin splints.
No, but I have some really high quality off-the-shelf inserts. They have a carbon fiber arch support even. Pretty cool. I wore just plain foam inserts before that (now in my daily sneakers). The doc told me to try the OTS hard inserts before Rx inserts.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:19 PM
Opeth
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Name: Derek Woodruff

Occupation: Unclear at present... some family business Im supposed to be a part of

Interests: guns, heavy metal, video games, beer, playing drums, and working on my 951

My defining Porsche moment was when I was about 15, my friends mom owned a early 90s red 911 turbo with a big whale tale and it is still the most impressive car Ive ever ridden in. She then owned a red 951 a few years later(which was nice but it was no 911t); so when a Puerto Rican dude had a black on black 86 951 for 800.00 it was a no brainer.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:02 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
No, but I have some really high quality off-the-shelf inserts. They have a carbon fiber arch support even. Pretty cool. I wore just plain foam inserts before that (now in my daily sneakers). The doc told me to try the OTS hard inserts before Rx inserts.
The problem with off the shelf inserts, is that they are made for a "general foot" which no one has. Everyone's foot is different. Do the inserts you currently use have the metatarsal arch support as well as the transverse arch support? Most cheap inserts do not include a metatarsal arch support. Custom made orthotics such as footlevers (just the brand i am familiar with, not associated in any way), are made specifically for your foot. That is a computer analyzes the bottom of your feet during weightbearing, and makes an insert accordingly. The type of insert is also determined by activity level (in your case running). I think if you got into a pair of custom made orthotic, your shin splints would be greatly reduced. Definetly something you want to look into if you are doing a lot of running.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:32 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it me or is there a lot of out of work IT guys on this board. I'm so glad I didn't go that route with my career. I sooooo wanted to but at the last minute changed majors. Hope the economy swings back so you guys get some work again. I remember they were saying that IT grads would make some crazy cash back in the day when I was looking into it!
Old 11-09-2004, 02:30 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Name: Joel K.

Education: BA Econ & Int Business - Iowa, JD - Wash Univ St. Louis

Non-Porsche hobbies: Family, Vball, and working on cars (mainly Hondas)

Porsche genesis: Taking racing school lessons for last 3 years mainly driving a CRX and now my quick little wagon which doesn't like the daily driver / weekend abuse. Looking for a 3rd car with rwd for fun and stumbled upon a car in great condition that needs some mechanical work.

Rennlist: Porsche Mechanic in McLean referred me here for help.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:43 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Name: Ryan Mills

Occupation: Web Services Technician for Power and Telephone Supply.

Hobbies: Playing guitar, working on my car, and working to pay for the car's parts.

Porsche Genesis: My uncle bought a champaigne 944 new in 84 (which he still owns and uses to teach at Mid Ohio, Putnam, etc) and after a ride in that my dad was hooked. I went to a summer camp one year and my dad came to pick me up. When we looked for the van outside the camp, it wasn't there. He asked which car we wanted to take home. Of course we pointed to the Porsche (84 944 which was Ruby red Metallic, 7 years old and had 23000 miles!) and he drove us home in it. After he owned it for about 8 years, we moved to Tennessee. Once I graduated, they moved and I took the Porsche and stayed here for college. I'm the 3rd owner and will be the last owner of it. I may get another for a daily driver someday, just have to get rid of the neon first.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:30 PM
MN87'944S
8th Gear

Name: Will Meacham
Occupation: Full-time student at the University of North Dakota
Hobbies: Typical 18 yr. old college guy hobbies
Porsche Genesis: Always been a fan of German cars and so has my family. My parents picked up a pristine 87' 944 S last summer and thats when i found this site. I mostly lurk for my lack of knowledge and lack of real ownership but I am truely hooked. I usually come to check out something for my dad but end up staying for the great commentary. One of the best communities on the internet.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:36 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Name: Steve Nelson

Non-Porsche hobbies: Family (3 kids), politics (currently hold local elected office) skiing, computers, camping, have just finished the lower half of my house and am looking for a new hobby.

Porsche Genesis: Before wife and kids owned a '79 280ZX and '82 RX7. Sold RX7 in college and 280ZX the week I got married and swore that I'd have a sports car again some day. Saw a NA for sale and started researching 944s and came accross Bill Underwood's site and eventually Rennlist. I am currently looking at a 951. I'll let you all know if it works out.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:02 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Name: Andrew
Occupation: Computer Engineering Graduate Student / Law school student at University of Florida
Non-porsche hobbies: Running, soccer, girlfriend, partying with friends, causing trouble, hating football season
Porsche Genesis: My father has owned a few p-cars here and there since 83. The last incaration of which was a new 89 930 on my birthday in 1988. We have since purchased an 86 951 that I tore all apart this summer. Wishing I could fast forward through the next three years so I would actually have real money to spend on my car(s).
Rennlist: PCA referral at DE

GOBOGIE:
The engineering side of the "IT" industry is very healthy. I went and interviewed to get an idea what kind of money I would be looking at if I skipped law school. I interviewed with lots of big companies and had a few onsite interviews. I just ended up turning them all down after the offers, so as to not prevent some other kid from getting an opportunity. The jobs never seemed to dry up for me nor any of my friends. It is really directly related to your degree background and skill set among other things. The salary ranges that I have heard are very good. I just don't want to be an engineer anymore. It has become a trade to me. Also, we saw a huge decline in enrollment for Computer engineering here following the blow-up. It is now more normalized to market demand.

Last edited by Gator_86_951; 02-13-2007 at 03:15 AM.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:12 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

Name: deni durrell

Occupation: IT, when there's work; yup, i'm doing SFBay/Silicon Valley and I can't get up... (Andrew Cheslock is right though, a lot of it has to do with one's background and edumacation)

Non-Porsche Related Hobbies: bmw, more tech and 1950-60 old German trucks (goliath, borgward)

Porsche Genesis: I had a friend who had some friends who convinced him into the idea that he needed an inexpensive fast car that wasn't a Honda (he had two of them concurrently). Of all people, my friend asked me to go and do the test driving with him. My friend decided to move to NYC after owning the car for a short time; and then asked if I wanted to buy it off of him. Without even looking at the car I said "of course". "Had I known now what I didn't know then" I would have definitely not paid my friend so much cash. But now I know and here I am. I never knew that Porsche could be so habit-forming; now I have two.

How I found Out About Rennlist: RL was one of the first places I have kept reading from a link found on http://www.944-world.com - I studied that 944 faq on Bill's site, for a long, long time.. It should have an overhaul at some point too bad we couldn't do Wiki-style documentation.

Quick Reply: Lots of New People Lately - Let's do a "Get To Know Each Other" Post For New & Old!!!