Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of New People Lately - Let's do a "Get To Know Each Other" Post For New & Old!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 12:31 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rich Sandor
Doorman/Security at a nice hotel, with a Commercial Pilot's Licence. (350hrs multi/float/ifr)

I love flying, motorsports (DE, AutoX, Karting), video games, art, movies and music.

I always liked Porsches, but I became a true fanatic after reading waletail's propaganda on www.porsches.com (since shutdown by Porsche AG) Then I knew the first car I was going to buy would be a 944 turbo.

I found out about the rennlist forums just before I bought my car 2 years ago. The funny thing is, before I got my Porsche, I had a Cavalier, and the most work I ever did to it was change a spare tyre. Now here I am doing everything short of rebuilding the engine on my Porsche. Thanks to rennlist!
Old 07-23-2004, 12:35 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brian Edge

Occupation: Junior Network/Hardware Technician, also Steel Parts Cleaner/Shipper/Reciever at a steel shop, leaving that job soon tho.

Hobbies: Friends, music, computers/technology in general, reading, outdoors stuff, driving, standing at the pump nozzle in hand

Genesis: Ive always wanted a Porsche, prolly cause my dad had one (914, might have been a 6 too...). My discovery of the fact that I liked 944s was when I was driving to a job interview, I saw a red 944 N/A and promptly decided I wanted one I started out planning on getting an N/A but then things happened and I wound up with a 951 Been working on it, driving it, paying for it ever since March, to the tune of 10k miles since late March. Cant think of any car in my price range that I would take over mein 951 nor any new car for that matter. No matter what, ill always have a 951, even if I make it rich and theres a GT2 in the garage too.

Maybe the GT2 will have to stay outside if its a one car garage...
Old 07-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 61 Posts

Jack Balthasar
2nd level Manager of Systems (Sales) Engineers for a major networking company

Porsche genesis - Always liked cars, including Porsches. Never really thought I'd own one. Had some cash with the tech boom and wanted a sporty convertible. Looked at some overpriced used bimmers, considered the new M3, not yet out, but the ragtop was going to take even longer. Didn't want to wait so I started looking at alternatives, including 911 cabs. Found a good one and the PO gave me some recent newsletters from the local club (Boston at the time). Got interested in AX and DE, with CR aspirations. Wife and I fell off the deep end with DE's and I eventually crashed the car at the Glen. Decided to take 5 years off with a new baby on the way and converted the cab back into a street car. Bought a 944 for $500 about 6 months after the crash and built it to PCA CR specs. DE last year and CR this year. 3 races so far - two 2nds and a 3rd in a small class.

Non-Porsche activities: family: 20 month old plus 2nd boy on the way in Sept. Golf, running (however I don't run anymore - I need to start, maybe tomorrow!), travel (also on hold lately with the kids), snowboarding (not much since I moved to ATL). Hmm - I guess its family, golf, and Porsches then!

I'm a little upset that I can't recall how I got turned onto Rennlist. Oh well - getting old!
Old 07-23-2004, 01:06 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Name: Chris Sokol

Occupation: Background in Materials management- former Buyer, Purchasing Agent and Materials Manager in the Aircraft industry. Currently a bitter freelance IT guy in an economic downturn, specifically Novell and Windows server administration and disaster recovery , searching for a company that wont treat me like a dog. I'm beginning to hate being sub-contracted- too sporadic.
I'd do anything for a good company and I'll relocate. Anone? Bueller? bueller?

Hobbies: Making and consuming Jello shots. Golf, extreme cooking, working on my car and attepting to play guitar, mountain biking. I trade humorous anecdotes for beer and cigarettes. Been known to drive cross country to attend a Porsche swapmeet or show.

Porsche Genesis: I fell in love when my Dad brought home a new '77 924 Zermatt/Pasha. He proceeded to let me drive it- it was all over at that point. My brother, also bitten, purchased a 914-6, AND a 72 911 within 6 weeks of each other and I got a taste of the aircooled side. The 914 was an absolute ball to drive, I almost filled my pants when I tailspun the 911 into a golf course taking a left at 25mph in the rain. Luckily it was the 9th hole and I missed the green by 15 feet. It was my maiden voyage in the 911 and I was 3 blocks from home during that drive. The first left I took and it became a 540..
I bought the 924S in Feb 1997 from my best friend's dad as a anniversary present for my now Ex, who absolutely loved driving it but hated forking out cash to fix the things she broke on it. (She is a penultimate car killer). She resented the time I spent fixing it. I got rid of her and kept the car- It was a much better deal for me. I have been driving it ever since. 6 plus years of daily driving, several long distance road trips and it puts a smile on my face every day. Last spring I bought an 87 Diamond Blue 944 in Northern Ill. It was to be a track/ auto-x car and a length of unemployment forced me to sell it. Ironically I now live less that 10 miles away from it's current location. Ohio- the undisputed center of the universe of Watercooled Porsche.

How I heard about Rennlist: Did a search on 924S and found Bill Underwood's and Brian Perry's site. It's been all downhill since then I have been lucky enough to meet an awful lot of you through the years and am a better and wiser man for it. These SOW guys are the best!
Old 07-23-2004, 01:12 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brian Young
Freelance News Cameraman/Editor
Miami Beach, FL

Interests are college sports, cars in general, TV news, travel, electronic gadgets of all flavors....

Started on Porschefans, then Porschelist, the Rennlist email lists, now the Rennlist boards!

my first car - at 16 - was a 73 914 1.7 - it just took off from there. i remember the first ads for the 951's (the big, fold-out ones) and had them on my walls in college. drove the 914 for 11 years, got hit and it was totalled. took a year off of porsches and did some research. found that i could get into a 951, and bought an 86 - mainly stock. drove that for two years - got hit (neither one of these was my fault!) sold it - and got my present 89 951. have had it for 4 years and LOVE it. tight. fast. beautiful.

rennlist is part of my every-day routine and i love it!!
Old 07-23-2004, 01:24 PM
meanmaroon951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Name Josh Smith
Age 17
Occupation: Broadway cinemas projectionist, (porsche money) High school student and prospective pre law student
Richlands VA
First car 16 1985 944 , second most recent car 86 951 (the mean maroon machine)
LInked to Rennlist from clarks-garage.com , super man that clark is

I AM JOINING RENNLIST SOON
Old 07-23-2004, 01:30 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Robert Gates
Industrial/Mechanical engineer
Santa Rosa, Ca

I have been reading Rennlist for a while, but I recently became a member. It's helped me numerous times whem I'm trying to diagnose problems with the cars.

In the past I've had an '86 951 & an '87 944s. Now I have another '86 951 and a '79 911 SC targa. The current '86 951 is in excellent condition with ~'87k on it. It's pretty much stock with the exception of Authority stadge 2 chips, banjo bolt, and a Momo steering wheel. Notible options are the Fuchs and a limited slip diff. Guards red w/ parital black leather.

The '79 SC is my project car. (Although ANY 951 is also a project car in my opinion.) It need some body work and a repaint. It's currently in a state of diassembly in the garage. It's charcoal black w/black leather interior.

Other vehicles in the driveway/garage are my daily driver '97 GTI VR6, my wife's '00 Miata, and the '02 GSXR 600.

I'd be interested in the next Porsche get together in the Bay Area.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:03 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Name: Chris Rieman

Occupation: Telecommunications and Software support/Web site side job
Dayton, OH

Hobbies: sports, UD stuff, writing, pretending to know more than I do

Porsche Genesis: I pretty much thought it would help me get laid. I quickly found out that all those legendary rumors about cars getting you chicks by the dozen was horse**** because it turns out if you are a jackass driving an Acura and you buy a Porsche or two, you become the jackass driving the Porsche. I dont care how nice your Porsche is, if you look like ***, the chick thing wont happen. So reality set in and I had to somehow love the car for what it was. It took a while, but it was like finding love on AOL. At first you dismiss it as infatuation, but then you look beyond the boundaries and decide love conquers all, even if she has a wrap sheet and track marks. I honestly never thought I would own a Porsche. I urinate, defacate, and lactate every time I walk in the garage and see it parked there. Im so lucky. We all are. But Im lucky. Partially because Im not getting laid. See, you cant have both. That I know. Im cool with that.

Rennlist Genesis: I was looking for posters of hot chicks and Porsches. I think I arrived at some other site which directed me to a current Rennlisters site who had the words "Hot Chicks" and "Porsches" in their web site meta tags. I think they had a few other things in there too but I digress. The point is, I wormed my way here, it wasnt a straight line. When you see a fork in the road, you take it. Every day on the Renny I find out how much less I know than I previously thought the day before. And knowing less is the key to happiness because the goal in life is to know just enough to keep what you have, yet never enough to be burdened with more responsibility.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:30 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Name: Chuck Krause

I've been interested in Porsches since I can remember. In high school my friends and I would go to Laguna Seca for the CanAm races... For the past 15 years I've been on the air-cooled side...(on my 4th 911, which is my daily driver...)

I got to the water cooled side this way: I'd been driving my C2 in Driver's Ed and when describing hitting the rev limiter to my wife (before her eyes glazed over), she asked what it would cost if I blew the motor...The bad news is that I no longer drive the C2 in DE's. The good news is that we agreed that I needed another car to drive in said events and so I went out and got the 924S. It's been great fun learning the car both mechanically and drivingwise...I find that it handles really well, is easy to work on and to "improve" and is quite reliable...I even let my 18 year old son drive it around (He is not allowed to touch the 911!!!)

Was on Porschefiles, etc... forever as 911 enthusiast and just this year got into this board.

-CKKrause
Old 07-23-2004, 02:40 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

kenny coulter(obviously)
hobbies other than carsut of practice but i used to paint draw and sculpt stuff. i just like to make things. my other hobby is writing/making comedy skits.
job:warehouse worker at the wal mart distribution center.....pure hell. i load trucks by hand....yes not with a fork lift.
porsche story:micro machines and hot wheels were my passion as a child. my favorites were always my corvettes and porsches. went to a pittsburgh parates game when i was in 4th grade and saw 5 black 911 turbos parked in a row.....i went nuts. dad started buying me hot rod magazines, and i finally traded a mustang for my first porsche 944 3 years ago.
i just found rennlist a year ago(almost) doing a search for my car.....wish i found it sooner but i just bought my first computer a year ago.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Name: Jon(athan) Eng

Occupation: Student at SUNY Maritime College. Summer jobs include being night manager at Carvel...been there 4 years almost. Fun being in charge of all your friends, and getting paid for it.

Non-Porsche Related Hobbies: R/C Cars, working and cars. Thats about it. As someones signature said, 'Jack of all trades, master of non'. This quote really fits me, as im pretty good with a little bit of everything, just not great at it.

Porsche Genesis: I was never a fan or Porsche really. I remember having a cool matchbox toy 959. And i remember asking my mother once "Whats that wing on the back for?". I was staring at a 911 Turbo (early 90's version). She said "Your father said it helps it go faster". Other than that, never a Porsche person. My father asked how i would want a Porsche as my first car. Coming from a kid who wanted a 5.0 Mustang or the MkII GTI's, i didnt know what to think. I went to my fathers shop to look at the 944 he bought at a police auction. I imediatley fell in love with the way it looked. Truley unique without looking too exotic. I spent a few days reading about the 944 and its specs/characteristics. We had the car on the lift to change the oil, my fathers wrench found so much rust underneath the floor boards the car was gone and sold within days.

My father found another one, just it was my current automatic 924S. I have learned a great deal about working on cars in general from wrenching on the 924S myself. Porsche is probably one of the better things thats ever happened to me. Totally different crowd...i would have likley become a Fast and the Furious type if it werent for the car! Im a Porsche nut now.

How I found Out About Rennlist: Learned about Rennlist through 924Board.Org . I frequently posted there but learned it sucked waiting days to get an answer on anything. Not to mention i felt the people there were a little 'snooty'. At first i didnt really like Rennlist, i registered, but hardly posted until a few months after.

Kenny, i know how you feel about loading trucks. I load trucks for a newspaper every few nights a week. Nothing like lifting close to 40 pound bundles of paper and loading them onto a truck! Its good money, but the hours are terrible, 10pm -6am.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:50 PM
dave120
Drifting

Name: Dave Haddad

Hobbies: Computers, cars, the beach, movies, science fiction, theme parks

Porsche Genesis: Dad and I wanted a sports car..he bought the S2. After driving it the first night I knew I had to have this car. A little over a year later I bought it from him...

Rennlist Genesis: Been around as a lurker since the early days of Porschelist...a lot more active on the boards now obviously.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:56 PM
rads2
Instructor

Hello everyone
My Name is Rad and I am 24, my occupation is car mechanic (never worked on Porsches but I watched my father every time something went wrong with his cars) I don’t own a Porsche (YET ) but my father had 2 924 turbo and 87 944 N/A both euros, so I am hooked on those cars since I was 11. I'm planning to buy one after summer so wish me luck.
It's a pleasure to meet you all, and this is the best Porsche community on the web.

P.S
I'll become a full member when I get my car
Old 07-23-2004, 03:07 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name: Wes Miller

Occupation: Network Administrator / PC Technician. Network administration Student and a local community college. 1 1/2yrs left

Hobbies: Cars, Girls, Computers, Parties, and friends.

Porsche Genesis: Well a year ago when I was looking to buy my first car (before i had mooched off my parents) my boss was helping me look for a decently priced car. His lawyer told him he got back is 87 944 turbo. Needless to say my boss said I should go have a look at it. (I didn't have a clue what it looked like.) I took my best friend and we went and looked at it, I fell in love with its fat *** and stylish curves.105K on the clock and a $3800 price tag. 2 weeks later I drove it home Wrecked it in October of last year, currently begin rebuilt, should be done by the end of next week!

Rennlist Genesis: After looking at the 951, I came back to work and searched google for Porsche forums. Found rennlist and never looked at another porsche forum since. Bought the memebership to give back what everyone gave to me.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:15 PM
Brett951
Advanced

Name: Brett Branch
Age: going to be 36 in a week (seems we have a few late July birthdays on this thread )
Occupation: All things IT/IS related. Currently run an internal web-based collaboration site for a large tech company
Hobbies: Porsche, Horses, camping, anything outdoors

Genesis: I have owned several american muscle cars and even competed in (legal) drag racing. Never thought I'd own a Porsche though, I thought they were too expensive and I was ignorant of their handling characteristics. One night I'm on the internet chatting with a 16 year-old kid about to buy his first car about what would be good choices. We start passing links to cars that are for sale around. I'm also in the market to replace a POS with high miles, needing something used because we'd just bought my wife a new Jetta which she loves. I'm thinking, hey, I'll get an older Jetta. The discussion gets out of hand, goes to McLaren's and other exotics. Then links to Porsche ads, includes some 944s, I find out they cost LESS then the older Jettas I was looking at. That weekend I went and looked at 4 944s, the last one being an 87 Turbo in nearly immaculate condition. Bought it! Drove it (for about 3 years and 50K miles), loved it, decided that was my dream car. A moment of inattention and my dream was smashed. Decided I didn't deserve a Porsche, bought a 2000 Celica GT, hated it. Went looking for another Turbo and the only local ones that weren't pieces of sh*t, the owners changed their minds and decided to keep. Found a 968 instead.

Rennlist: Don't remember how I found it, probably on an internet search, or a link from a page found on a search, shortly after I bought the '87 Turbo. Posted a problem it had about trip odometer not resetting, in about 20 minutes I had step-by-step instructions for fixing (Damn you guys are good!!!). Lurked for a while, then bought a paid membership.

So, I am here quite by accident. But Porsche ownership and Rennlist are the two best "accidents" to happen in my life!

BTW, anyone want a really nice 2000 Celica GT?

Quick Reply: Lots of New People Lately - Let's do a "Get To Know Each Other" Post For New & Old!!!