Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of New People Lately - Let's do a "Get To Know Each Other" Post For New & Old!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 11:25 PM
Guelph944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Name: Jeremy Amero

Occupation: Retired..due to work accident, but looking into school once again. I need a new Porsche

Hobbies: German Autos,BMW,MB(gave daughter the middle name Mercedes)and especially Porsche. Euro Women, Touring.
Porsche Genesis: Owned a 924S trraded it for a Passat BAD mOVE!!!!went to mercedes for a few years, and recently picked up the 944 N/A

I learned about Rennlist through another 944 site off auto forums
Old 07-25-2004, 12:33 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Name: David Adriance

Occupation: I've done too many things to think about but I'm still adding to the list.

Hobbies: You mean there are things that don't involve Porsches?!? Brewing (if you want good beer you have to make it yourself), Hanging with my son, wife and dog, General tinkering around the house, Thinking of getting back into fishing so I can take my son.

Porsche: I was always into cars and could name just about anything on the street (correctly) by age 5. A few years later I saw something different enough to leave a lasting impression while on my way to a friend's house. It had a unique shape with a wedge sticking out of the rear and HUGE fender flairs and some writing on the rockers in a funky script, I must have been 8-9 at the time since IIRC they only made those in '73 (turned out a friend of my dad owned it). There had always been VWs in the family (first car I ever rode in was a '64 bug that my parents bought 3 weeks before I was born) and I started off with those (driver's test in dad's '74 Super Beetle conv. and a '74 Dasher for my own first car) but Porsche's were always that "next rung on the ladder" that I knew would be in my future. I came very close to replacing that '74 Dasher with a perfect silver '74 914 2.0 in '84 but it didn't happen. Years later an old friend who knew I had a softspot for watercooled Porsches called to tell me that a co-worker of his was selling a 944 and I could have it if I beat what the dealer had offered him as a trade-in. Around the summer of '98 I was freshly married and had been driving my wife's old Isuzu ever since I had bought her a new car, who knew what the future would bring, it could be now or never. It took a few months to make the deal (long distance) and get the car to NJ but I've been hooked ever since.

Rennlist: After a couple years of ownership, a truck backed over the frond end of my beloved 944. While trying to work out the settlement with the insurance company (Researching market values and posibly looking for a replacement), a search turned up the Rennlist classifieds. In spite of the fact that I'd never been a fan of forums or chat (or online human interaction of any kind) I decided to check out the forums a couple days later for the heck of it. I lurked for a couple weeks before signing up, a couple months later the forums changed to a much easier to read format and I was hooked.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:06 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by FSAEracer03
[B]Officially Amy... why did Dan stop "chasing amy?" You are a very beautiful girl and seem like you have a decent passion for these cars now too, I like that (on both counts)... Dan? comments?

dude.. you dont want that issue to rear its head back out agan. if you do a search.. you can probably find it..
Old 07-25-2004, 07:27 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Hello Everyone!

Name: Zachary Abelardo

Hobbies: Golf(5 handicap); Tennis Instructor; Ski Patrol; Sailing; R/C racing; Mountain Biking; Trekking the Himalayas; Inventing things

How I Found RENNLIST: After buying my first Porsche, a 1985.5 944 NA- I found the car to be such a joy to drive, I became a believer. After owning five BMWs(still GREAT cars)....the Porsche automobile has cast a spell over me like no other vehicle I have ever owned has. Now, I see why a P-Car is a perfect temporary replacement for the opposite sex. Still considerable maintenence- but a Porsche
NEVER FORGETS to reward the driver with a therapeutically rewarding experience every time the key is turned on. Are there any women who can faithfully serve that kind of devotion even if you dont get your oil/lube done? I didnt think so....

Approaching mid-life crisis already? Get your toy out...there is NO substitute....Porsche

Zach
Old 07-25-2004, 08:31 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name: Charlie Clifton
Occupation: Frontline Supervisor for UPS currently in the training department training new hires and dealing with record compliance for all of our audits as well as facilitate our Cornerstone Training class. Also I am a student studying management and hopefully one day Mechanical Engineering.

Hobbies: Wrenching, most forms of motorsports, music, traveling, girlfriend.
Porsche Genesis: When I was 6 my dad leased a brand new 87' 944S and had it for 5 years and I absolutely loved it. He had always been a fan of Porsche and he had a couple BMW's when my brother and I were growing up. After my 1st cars cam went bad (built up 355 Chevy and I bought a cam from a then friend when the some of the lobes were starting to flat spot...got 8k out of it though). Needless to say I was in the market for another car, and I wanted something 2-door, rear disc brakes, and decent on gas (8mpg got old). I looked was seriously looking at Supras, and BMW's but a Porsche 944 did cross my mind. My dad and I talked about it and we started to look more seriously and we found many were kept up nice, lower miles than BMW's of that vintage, and may had very good records of service. After looking at a few and running out of gas in an 83' on the test drive and having to walk back a few miles...I landed the 84' here in Rockford. Great color, ~90k, and it had black interior. And I was 3rd owner, and I even have the original bill of sale for it. The Callaway I ran across on Pelican Classifieds for what I thought was a typo price of $4900...I emailed and it was accurate...I was hooked then. I wanted that car sooo bad. I was also looking at a spotless 87' 944S with very recent service, but the Callaway just really appealed to me more. Also with the extensive list of mods I knew that it would cost me 3 times as much or more to build a similar car and I just could not pass it up. The Fikses and tires were another $1500 + I got the 951 phonedials. At the time the 84' was getting up there in miles and it was either sell it or drive her till the wheels fall off. Hence I was looking at other cars...Porsches of course! I decided to keep the 84' and get the Callaway too. I know the 84' like the back of my hand and I do all the manitnence on it as well with the 83' Callaway which saves on money for more playing. Doing a T-belt check on the 84' Sunday infact. I ran across Rennlist by just searcing around for Porsche info once I got the 84'...I lurked in the dark and read a great deal of the archived material, and I knew I found someplace unique and special. This place has helped me immensely and I will join very soon indeed.

Take Care All!
Old 07-25-2004, 10:35 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 171 Posts

Name: Dave - Lead Driver of TeamSwanson MotorSports; Chief Marriage Counselor of HWFM Racing

Non-Porsche Hobbies: Not many, DE is my game. I run in or instruct at every DE in the Region I can get to. Wife is not pleased that I will soon have a FOURTH set of wheels/tires in the garage. Spend the rest of my time trying to be a good Dad and husband.

Porsche Genesis: ALWAYS wanted a 944. Had an ad from one on the wall in the garage for 12 years... Finally bought an '88 NA 4 years ago and turned it into my daily-driver and track assault vehicle. LOVED it. Moved up a notch in HP to a 968 this past Spring and am sorting that one out as I write.

Join RennList! Best couple of bucks you can spend! Tell me you haven't already gotten your money's worth in good info and witty entertainment... Best bargain on the web for automotive goofs like us.

Last edited by Dave in Chicago; 01-21-2007 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:55 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Kevin Baker 36 Houston, Texas

Manager in Training - Firestone Tire & Service centers

Hobbies: My 86 944 n/a, family, scale models

P-car genisis: I have loved these cars since I can remeber. Parents friend had an 86 951, uber rare guards on black.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:56 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ken Smith

Occupation: 15yrs as Millwright/overhead crane repairman/ plant maintenance at Bethlehem Steel Corp. Currently, 15 yrs as Tooling/Structures/Assy. Mechanic at the Boeing Company.

Hobbies: Not much of anything but the 944 cars right now, was hunting/fishing, and whatever struck me at the time.

P car genesis: Brother in law told me he was dumping his ’85 944, he broke the timing belt in it. I thought, what the heck, I could use a diversion, and I’ve always liked the car, and wanted something “fun” to play with again. Oh Boy…..what a diversion! My wife actually encouraged it, though, I wonder if she’s kinda regreting it now! LOL. I found Rennlist by searching the internet looking for all the info I could get on these cars, and of course, found this, one of the best resources out there today!
Old 07-25-2004, 12:17 PM
Zackb911
Racer

Zachary Berry

Hobbies: My 2003 VW Passat/ Skiing/ Travel/ Im a capricorn and love long walks on the beach....:-)

P-Car: I've had a ton of cars and wanted a 944 when I was 16, my uncle told me Id spend more time working on it than driving it and it would be too expensive. I stuck with the GM/US cars for ahile and slowly made my way to the turbocharged German cars as my mechanical ability grew. My 951 is strictly my toy car and I love playing around with it... As my wallet grows I plan on going to the 911 side and would love to dabble with a 928...

Zack
Old 07-25-2004, 02:01 PM
Officially Amy
Intermediate

FSAEracer03-
"Officially Amy... why did Dan stop "chasing amy?" You are a very beautiful girl and seem like you have a decent passion for these cars now too, I like that (on both counts)..."

Long story pretty dumb one too, but the long and the short of it is I had my head up my ***, and made some HUGE mistakes. Since then it has been over ten months and I am a completely changed person. I look back and would never dream of stepping one foot in the direction I had taked back then (as far as to make those type of mistakes again.)

As for hoffman912- "dude.. you dont want that issue to rear its head back out agan. if you do a search.. you can probably find it.."

DUDE, I don't think a search would do him any good as far as getting true answers, I have done them myself and was very glad to find what I did see. Daniel is a very great guy. I know he was pissed as hell when he went through it and on here he showed more respect to me then I might have ever gotten from anyone else! (or for that matter ever deserved.) He could have splaid it all out in detail and yet he didn't. I was very surprised. (although I did read back through it recently and found out that he really added a lot of things and stretched a bunch more.) (Unless there was a thread that I missed) But yes let's not bring that subject up again. Thanks I am just glad that Daniel knows what the definition of forgiveness means!

And as for Daniel having something to say about it I doubt that he will even look at this thread again unless someone PMs him and tells him to.

Last edited by Officially Amy; 07-27-2004 at 02:31 AM.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:18 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

......Rare thing here gentlewrenchers...a attractive girl that seems sane ...let's just not ask her about her past and ex......only thing now to get her to be a Rennlist member..have her sell the Grand Prix and buy a 944 S2...convertible..heh how about that Amy..then we will know you will stay around longer....
to you Amy

maybe we can can see a full shot of those eyes in your avatar?
Old 07-25-2004, 03:39 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Name: Michael Manning

Occupation: IT technician, voice telecomm administrator, purchasing, blah, blah, blah...

Non-Porsche Related Hobbies: Sitting on the couch. Annoying other listers by being a grumpy old fart. Incessantly pestering my fiance to get her to move south to GA or NC or something. Trying to rekindle interest in mountain biking and painting (BFA), backcountry hiking/backpacking.

Porsche Genesis: I had a Hot Wheels 917 back in the very early 70s, then a Monogram or Revell Martini 924 in the late 70s or early 80s. Does that count? Actually, I needed to replace my totalled 16V Scirocco and was torn between a 633CSI, a 190 2.3 16, or a 924S. I had no interest in a 944 or 951 and 928s were way out of my range (so was the 190 16v actually). I went for the 924S.

I found the Rennlist e-mail list in '98 right around the time I bought my car. I don't think the BBS existed yet. I think I did an Altavista search to find out more about the car and found Craig Seko's site, or maybe Kevin Gross's site and there was a mention of Rennlist maybe(?)
Old 07-25-2004, 11:32 PM
Ginger
Track Day

Name: Ginger Martin

Bought my first Porsche 944 n/a last month (June 2004) and am still loving it! 1986 Guards Red with black leather interior. Still a drag racer of muscle cars at heart, but the 944 is a freakin' blast to drive! Why not be an all-around driver... drag racing, autox, and road racer?

Turned on to Rennlist and Porsche by Dal, member on the Rennlist, who started me off on my Porsche obsession. My na may not be fast, but it sure is fun and that's what driving is all about to me.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:45 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name: Neal Agran

Bought my first Porsche last September, and so far so good. I've always wanted one, and have been partial to 944s since I was a kid. The 951 is one of many cars that I really wanted in junior high and is probably the most practical. Someday, I hope to own them all. I also considered a 911 (more expensive to get into and seems to carry more risk of a >$5,000 repair bill if your luck doesn't hold; I prefer to be nickle and dimed to death with $1-2,000 repair bills) and a C4 Corvette.

I found Rennlist via a Google search several years ago when I first started to think about getting a Porsche and wanted to learn more. I ended up taking a job in NYC and put the idea on hold. This past Fall, my wife was good enough to help me decide to take the leap and I've been in debt to Rennlist ever since.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:29 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Nice to see some over 20 y/o guys finally posting... I was really starting to feel old!!!

Quick Reply: Lots of New People Lately - Let's do a "Get To Know Each Other" Post For New & Old!!!