Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of New People Lately - Let's do a "Get To Know Each Other" Post For New & Old!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 12:59 PM
944kid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool I can't wait to turn twenty-one

Name- Ian G.

Age- 16

Occupation- assistant house remodeler/demolition man
Don't know what you would call it, really, but tearing down walls is fun.
Also-currently going to the county Vocational School for half a school day to learn about automotive technology. Now in my second year! What fun!!

Hobbies- Model cars, computer gaming, mountain biking, tearing apart my friends POS '89 beretta GTU. New hobby: Driving!

Porsche Genesis- Apparently, I had a poster above my bed as a child that influenced my taste in cars. Funny, I just found it in a closet two monthes ago.
Again, it is above my headboard, next to a very large framed picture of a 996 generation 911 turbo.

How I heard about Rennlist- At the local car show, I got into a fairly lengthy conversation about his Guards Red 1986 N/A 944. He's the one who led me to this great abundance of info on all things Porsche.

Can't wait til I turn sixteen, then I'll be purchasing a 1984 944, painted in Zermatt Silver, with a nice black leather interior and 5-speed manual tranny. Dashboard cracks give the car character, whaddayah talkin about? Now that I'm sixteen and looking back at this, STILL not having the 944 I long to own, it's really wierd. But hopefully I'll get it soon, because on Dec. 8th I get the DL. I learn moe about the 944 on thursday. Until then!!

~the kid

Last edited by 944kid; 12-04-2005 at 08:22 PM. Reason: New information!!!
Old 01-24-2005, 01:39 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Name: Andy Serrato

Occupation: Student at National University and Union Bank of California bank teller

Hobbies: working on my 928 and 944, model building, household improvements, computer construction, and making people laugh.

Porsche Genesis: Porsche cars have been in my family since 1976 when my dad and his brother shared the pricetag of a brand new at the time 1977 Porsche 924 in yellow. Evolution brought us a 1985 928S off the showroom floor at Alan Johnson Porsche/Audi in mid '85 . I was 3 at the time. After that it was in my blood, tradition passed on to the next generation. Now my father and I split the pink slip on an '87 928 S4 and just me on my daily driven '86 944.

Welcome all those to Rennlist. Enjoy the stay, community, friendship and technical support.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:01 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Andy,

you forgot to include "finding pics of gridgirls" as one of your hobbies.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:36 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

oh yea that too! I find grid girls and attempt to find girls period!
Old 01-24-2005, 08:25 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow this thread is still around!
Old 01-25-2005, 02:14 PM
dhallilama
Instructor

eh... may as well chime in...

name: dan

occupation: sometimes i wonder, but mostly it has to do with being a software engineer, self employed (not nearly as cool as it sounds).

hobbies: other than my 951... vintage hot rods/customs, vintage/classic motorcycles, the gym (when im not lazy), just hanging out with the family, aimlessly surfing the internet, procrastinating, the occasional drinking/dancing.

found rennlist when researching 928s, about a year ago from a google search.

have been lusting over early 911 turbos and 928s since i was about 10... then the 951 when i was 'bout 13. Was actually planning on buying a 928 s4, but ran across the 951 i have now for dirt cheap. now glad that's what i got...
Old 01-25-2005, 08:24 PM
RuFF_Fanatic
Instructor

Default re

Name: Arby Hovsepians

I got into porsches because of my cousin and his 944. After the first ride in it, I was tooken over. I will get a 951 as soon as i am eligible to drive.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:28 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RuFF_Fanatic
Name: Arby Hovsepians

I got into porsches because of my cousin and his 944. After the first ride in it, I was tooken over. I will get a 951 as soon as i am eligible to drive.
A new member -> welcome young man!!!
Old 01-25-2005, 10:53 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Name: Kyle Figarelle
Hobbies: autoX when i get the chance, mountain biking, snowmobiling, enjoying the great state of MT
Porsche Genesis: saw a 924 for the first time in my life and had to have it, few months later saw a 944 for the first time and had to have it as well. (i had a lot more money at the age of 14 then i do now....college is evil, j/k)
Rennlist: saw ads in Excellence mag.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:13 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

arby, Hye es?
Old 01-28-2005, 06:04 PM
AJBERB
Advanced

Name: Andy Berberich

Non-Porsche Related Hobbies: I have a 2000 Ducati Monster 900ie and have taken it to Black Hawk Farms for a track day. Will probably do a few more. I also took it to Tennessee and ran Deal's Gap a few times. Would like to take a Porsche through there one or two thousand times. Other than that, beer is a good hobby. Preferably quality beer and especially home brewed. My favorite is other people’s home brew.

Porsche Genesis: Okay, I'll try to keep it to readers digest length.
I graduated college in May 1999 and didn't start work until Sept that year. I was looking for a summer job and hired on with Biskup Racing for the Speedvision World Challenge GT season to haul around their 1998 911 RSR. The first Porsche I ever drove was worth about $250K. Not a bad start and I was hooked.
That summer I rolled my 84 Rabbit GTI in an autocross and was in the market for a new sports car. Because I was familiar with the GTI systems, I bout an 82 924. I autocrossed it for several years until all the locations dried up in Central Illinois.
My best Porsche experience was working for The Racers Group for the 2001 and 2002 Rolex 24 at Daytona. 2001 was the last year Team Seattle raced with TRG. 2002 they won their class with Bernard and Bergmeister on board. My claim to fame is that I refueled the winning No 66 GT3 RS that won Daytona in the GT Class.
Now I work part time for Eurosport Racing out of Chcago. www.midwesteurosport.com I have worked PCA at Gingerman and Road America and look forward to doing more. With their support and sponsorship, my buddy and I are building an 83 NA 944 track car. We are going to run PCA and Midwestern Council. Mostly DE, but you'll know it's us with the Eurosport Racing windshield banner. Feel free to say hey. If you’re in the Chicago area, the guys at Eurosport are excellent. If you’re not in the area, they’re still excellent. Be sure to tell Dick I said Yeeh Haaw!!!
Since the beginner, I have bought and sold 3 924s, 1 944, parted a 944, and have retained the 83 944.

How I found Out about Rennlist: It just so happens that when I was working for TRG group in 2002, the first year that Rennlist and TRG worked together. (I think it was the first) I actually met John D and he told me about it. We were both on the rear gate of the transporter taking pictures with a birds eye view. I haven't been on much, but have recently found a lot of useful information and am becoming more and more comfortable with posting and replying. You will probably/hopefully be hearing from me more.

Thanks to all in advance for the help and the comradery. When our website is up and running, I'll add it to my signature for pics. In the mean time, my Avatar was taken in Vancouver BC at one of the World Challenge races. I’m that one near the rear… of the car.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:09 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Okay, I guess I'll join in...

Name : Fernando Peña

Occupation : Marketing Database Administrator and real estate investing on the side

Non-Porsche related hobbies : Rock music (was in a band once), hockey, football, martial arts, computers, electronic goodies, studying military technology, architecture and design, and finally spending time with my bow-wow and girlfriend (hobbies NOT listed in order of importance!!!)

How I got into these cars : My dad was in the Army so we traveled all throughout the world. During the his off hours he used to work as an auto mechanic on the side and he LOVED muscle cars. I would be the tool helper when he was fixing vehicles and needless to say, I disliked it. He tried EVERYTHING he could to get me into cars but I could care less about them - I was more into computers at that time! So when I was about 15 years old, we moved to Germany.

One day I was walking up to our building and noticed this shiny black car parked in front of my home. I had no idea what it was but wow it looked cool! I asked my dad about it and he told me it was a Porsche. The next day I studied it some more and found that it was a 924 Carerra GT. I used to come home from school every day and sit on my window sill with my boombox on my lap (while playing Metallica and Guns and Roses) and stare at that car for hours!

In Germany I couldn't get my license until I was 17 so I figured if I start working at 15 I could afford to buy such a car if I saved ALL my money. So being a naive teenager I started "shopping" at the age of 15. We would go to the Porsche dealer at least once a week and I found the exact car I wanted. A red 1989 Porsche 944 S2 Cabrio. You see I needed the convertible because I wanted to move to Florida once I graduated High School. So the poor salesmen already knew me everytime I walked in.

Started working at the local military exchange (kind of like a Target but for military families only) and found out that it wasn't very easy to afford a Porsche. So I kind of gave up on the cabrio dream but found a nasty 924 for sale. I begged my dad to allow me to buy it, he knew it was a piece of junk so he didn't let me. Then I found a 914 that was all rusted out, same results - still didn't let me buy it!

But finally I found a 73 Bug for sale. Dad approved of that and I figured since VW and Porsche were somehow connected that I was in a way driving a baby Porsche. Drove that for a while then moved up to an A1 GTI then a couple of VW Cabrios with upgraded engines. My father helped me drop in 2.0 blocks into those things to make them quite quick. For a while I just concentrated on the VWs and forgot about the Porsches.

So I finally moved from Colorado to Florida and started seeing more of them. I figured I NEEDED one so I started "looking"...Again I was shot down because I had no money :-)

Now fast-forward and I'm transferred to New York City -- was looking at a new BMW 330 but then we bought a house. Once the initial shock of home ownership was over with, it was time to begin shopping.

I set my sights on either a Boxster or a 968 cabrio. Ruled out the Boxster once I figured it would be impractical to have a two seater. So the hunt began for the prize. I went to see one I wanted, drove two hours, and when I got there, it was being sold. Went to see another one and the exact same thing happened. Finally I found mine in the Dupont Registry, called the dealer and it was still there.

Walked in and found my car parked between a Ferrari F360 and a BMW Z8. It goes without saying that the salespeople did not want to waste a lot of time on me. I put my deposit down, had the car inspected, had them clean it up for me and took it home.

So after 10 years of wanting the S2 Cabrio, I came full circle and actually purchased it! I really wanted the red one but, these things aren't easy to find!

In any case, I'm happy now...Still kind of freaked out that one day my engine will explode and cost me $10k in damages, but, so far so good (knockin' on wood)

How did I find Rennlist : I don't even remember! I think I was searching the list of potential issues to look out for on the S2s and I ran across this site. I lurked for a while, and even now I don't post that often. But I read A LOT!!!
Old 01-31-2005, 09:08 PM
codepoet
Instructor

Name : Jonathan C.

Non-Porsche related hobbies : Programing, anything dealing with technology, RC Planes, and the occasional wardriving (gotta love sniffing out those wireless networks)

Porsche Genesis : well, it all started at the age of six ... I was sitting in the back of the family station wagon and we were on the interstate in Knoxville, TN where I used to live. I looked out the window and I saw a red 911 carrera beside the car ... so I waved at the guy, he waved back and then dropped the hammer cause he shot off like a bat out of hell. I asked my dad what that “neat car” was and after he answered with Porsche I knew I wanted to have one when I got older ... 15 years later I am now sporting a 1987 944S and couldn't be any happier ... this car is truly amazing
Old 01-31-2005, 09:31 PM
ODUporschegurl
Instructor

Name:Chrissy

Non Porsche related hobbies:love for cars in general(however i dont fix em, drive mainly), love to go out w/friends, beerpong is a great time, and i love to travel.

Porsche Genesis: My dad taught me my love for cars. he is an import mechanic specializing in porsches in northern virginia. so way back i remember seein them(he doesnt drive one-prolly b/c hes in and out of em all day)-prefers trucks. when i turned 16 i got an 85.5 white auto 944. a year later it was totalled while parked and i got an 86 black manual 944, and have had it for a few years now. nowadays my little brother also drives a 944. dad taught us proper. one day when teachers get raises(haha ) then ill get a new carrera. till then i love my 944.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:35 PM
Jakke951
AutoX

Name: Jarkko Antikainen

I've been a sucker for P-cars as long as I can remember. Last spring finally had the long waited chance to fulfill my dream to purchase a 944 turbo.

Quick Reply: Lots of New People Lately - Let's do a "Get To Know Each Other" Post For New & Old!!!