Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of New People Lately - Let's do a "Get To Know Each Other" Post For New & Old!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 09:14 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Name: Dennis Polenghi

Hobbies: Travelling, Guitar, Records, Music, recently started Surfing and can tell that will be a frequent activity for years to come, Fishing, Working on my other project (TR-7 V8), Tinkering w/ things...

Porsche Genesis: Father owned a Guards 86' 951 when I was a kid. I vividly remember him driving it w/ the top out on the way to the Jersey shore (lived in Philly at the time) and the sound of him flooring it under the long underpasses on Rt 676. A decade later I found myself doing the same thing in my 87' Guards 951. Currently all P-car work is on the financial backburner but should be able to start again early next year.

Old 11-09-2004, 09:16 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Name: Pat Goodwin

Occupation: Third year college student majoring in Business Aviation, have a family friend who does hiring for Northwest so that will be a nice foot in the door. Hopefully I'll have a job with Mesaba or Pinnacle shortly after I graduate.

Non-Porsche hobbies: Flying, photography, cycling around lake Harriet, Calhoun and the Cedar Lake Trail area. Playing with my three month old German Shepherd (see avatar), traveling, catching Twins games during the summer, going to movies and this winter trying to teach myself how to work on cars.

Porsche Genesis: I grew up in a Jaguar family, and it wasn't until my early teenage years that I really took notice to Porsches. I remember the day very clearly, browsing at Downtown Jaguar with my dad, when I was around 14 or 15. They had a White 951 sitting in the basement that was unlocked, so I slipped in. The car made a wonderful first impression, I loved the feeling of that slick gearbox, smell of the leather and the general Porsche distinctiveness. At that moment I vowed to myself that one day I would own a 944. Today, every time I get in my 86 944, I still get that same giddy feeling about being inside a Porsche. Amazing.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:29 PM
charlotte951
AutoX

Tierce Machen
Car: 86 951
Porsche genesis: my dad has had a 64 356C (black) for over 30 years. I grew up looking at it, but it hasn't turned over in 27 years, and I've been waiting for him to restore it. I guess I got impatient, found my turbo, and used my parents money to buy it. Yes I've paid them back!
Old 11-09-2004, 09:38 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay . . .

Name: Tony Krncevic

Car: 85.5 944

Non-Porsche hobbies: Lotus, Lancia, anything associated with rally, endurance, or road racing. Taking long car trips. Traveling, Croatian culture, various kinds of music, guitar, bicycling, rowing, other outdoor things, modern architecture and furniture design, digital imaging, video production.

Porsche Genesis: Two part - 1) I have been a lifelong sports car fanatic, and adored the regular and slant-nose 911 Turbos since I was a kid. I always liked mid-engine exotics, though . . . didn't care for the 944 until 2) I was living in Oakland, CA in 1997 and there was a cream/beige 84 944 parked in front of my building every day. It grew on me, and I started doing my homework, as I was looking for something reliable, practical, good-handling, resistant to rust. . .blah blah blah for a daily driver. I bought my first Porsche, an 83 944, within a year.

Rennlist: I had heard of it but never was interested. Then I met a bunch of goofballs from the Dayton/Cinci area at an autocross, and they were all members, so I registered here mainly to keep in touch with them and other Ohio Porsche owners. . . . . . ...oh, and to nag the previous owner of my car to try to get him to recall minute details of its service history from years ago..
Old 11-09-2004, 10:29 PM
slowazzporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name : Matthew Wilson
Car : t-boned '84 944
Porsche Genesis : ever since I was old enough to recognize cars I've loved Porsches, more than any other autmobile. I got a chance to own a 911 when I turned 19, short lived because of an unfortunate rear-end collision, left the car immobile and I needed the cash for school and couldn't afford to have a $30,000 paper weight sittin in the back, sold it for near-scrap prices and wanted another Porsche, I've only owned european (british/german) cars since I started driving (other than winter beaters) so the 944 seemed like a logical choice. Being a 911 owner I was a real jerk to 944 guys mocking them and their "poor-man" porsches but now that I own one I see they're almost an equal to their sleeker "big" brother
Hobbies : football, computers - programming/design, fighting tickets for people in court and being an all-around jackass
Old 11-09-2004, 10:39 PM
mpd425
Rennlist Member

Name: Steve Matousek

Non-Porsche Related Hobbies: Wife, kids(2) and dogs(2 Labs), my boat, my truck, my car, Computers, construction Home remodeling

Porsche Genesis: Since the 944's were introduced I've always wanted one, then one day last year I decided it was time to get one. I'll never be able to sell it because my son will never let me(he's hooked on PORSCHEs and he's only 5).
Old 11-09-2004, 11:17 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

mpd425: thats funny. My dad is hooked on not porsches :-). Mostly due to cost. He's been around the block a few times i guess. He just bought an 03 cobra for cheap. I need to lower it for him + this and that and the other. He isn't as fast a driver, and in the end it will be cheaper to run that car. He can't wait for me to PCA race. He's is totally stoked that I will be able to do what he wanted to do at a much younger age :-). Man, i have to tell you, the 80s was some funk for IMSA racing. However, being around to see can-am and formula-one like he did in the 70s would have been sic. Always cool to hear of kids getting interested in the largest machanical/neatest thing you can essentially buy and have fun with. Cars are just too much fun and interest can't start too young.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Name: Dan Estrada

Age: 49 (Oka,y okay, I'll be 50 on December 1, give me my last few weeks, will 'ya?)

Occupation: Construction Quality Manager for the L.A. Metro Rail System

Non-Porsche Related Hobbies: Diehard DIY'er on old houses. I ride road bicycles, fly fish a little and take my Jet Ski's out a few times a year.

Genesis of my Porsche addiction: It's the late 60's and my mother's boss drives a rust red 356 in PERFECT condition. I admire it greatly as a young kid.

A few years later it is 1972 and my face is pressed against the window of a local car agency that sells Porsches and BMW's (In other words, weird foreign cars that cost too much - it's '72!). I see a then-brand new 1972 911S in the window and I think, "I will NEVER be able to afford a car like that!".

Jump to 2001, I am newly divorced from my wife of 20 years and hurting financially, I even have to sell my black '95 Volvo 850T-R. I have no car. A new friend tells me she has a car she doesn't drive anymore. It's an '87 944. Guards Red and in the back of her garage with 59,200 original miles. I buy it a few days later and proceed to double that amount in deferred maintenance.

Today I am largely over the giant hole in the middle of my life and can afford relatively whatever I want. I am looking at (ta-da!) '72 911's and 928's. I really, really like my 944...but I wish it were a 951 when that garage door opened.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Dan/87/944na
Advanced

Default wow I'm late

Name: Daniel Yaris

Car: 87 944, 86 951

Non-Porsche hobbies: rock and mountain climbing, art, modernism, roadtrips, ebay, target shooting

Porsche Genesis: wow as long as I can remember I loved porsches...as a kid I had books on them, and toys, In highschool I lusted over that guards red 944 that was in my town...then off to the US Marines.....as I soon as I got out I test drove a 928 but had no $$$$ so I bought a red 924S for $1500...it was auto, with dents and rust...but it was red and I loved it....It just felt right...

Rennlist: wow I used rennlist so much with my 924S and My 944 in the early dial up days....I was just a user then rebuilt the 924s and then became a member...the best thing ever!
Old 01-12-2005, 08:51 AM
shmark
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoyed reading through this thread so much, I think I'll revive it.

Name: Mark Litherland
Car: BMW 525i, looking for the right 951
Family status: Married to Peggy (gotta love a woman who's not afraid to change a clutch on a 928!), son Daniel and daughter Miranda
Non-Porsche hobbies: complete car junkie, special fondness for Porsche and anything Italian (active member of FerrariList), golf, bowling, mechanical watches

Porsche genesis: I have always been a gearhead, had lots of different cars, with a long string of Z-cars and Rx7s. My brother bought an '86 951 back in 1994, red/tan and beautiful, and that was enough. I promptly sold a couple of cars and bought a pristine '79 911SC. Cheapest car I've ever owned, paid 13k and drove it for two years and 20k miles with nothing but oil changes, sold it for 13k. Why did I sell? I also love 914s and built a very quick track car you can see at http://members.rennlist.com/mlitherland/914.html but it went to a new home last year. I also had a turbocharged 914 2.0 bought from a friend in SoCal who's active on the Pelican forums, another car I wish I still had. Next Porsche was a 1983 928S in excellent mechanical shape, but cosmetically rough. I bought it as a fun project but shortly after got married, instant family, and then my company went belly up. Eventually sold it and bought the BMW which has been reliable but boring for two years. Now I'm hunting for the right 951.

Rennlist: I was a member of the old porschephiles list a looong time ago, graduated to Porschelist when that blew up, and then moved to Rennlist after Porsche got all tough about their name. I subscribed to the email lists for a long time (911, 914, 928, racing, general) but have made the transition to the forums now and like them better.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:49 AM
BigRed
Pro

Name: Wes Canaday

Married: (Jennifer) w/ one daughter (Alana) and one on the way...

Non-Porsche Related Hobbies: Music, wrenching on anything, computer games

My First Porsche: 1987 944. Got it as a project car on December 1, 2004. Saw it on a friend's used car lot, and told my wife about it and she got it for me for Christmas. It's in rough shape, but it will be a cool, fun project.

How I found Out About Rennlist: Search Engine, baby. After getting this car, I needed to do some research about it. All of the things that you guys say is bad...this car has. Should've researched first . Doesn't matter....I'm still happy with it.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:08 AM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

well-since I didn't post during the first go-round.

Name: Eric(duh)--single

Project Manager for an industrial construction company

Hobbies: Mopars, hunting--mainly wingshooting, Military History, skiing and snowboarding, sporting clays, NFL football(Go Steelers!), and gambling

Porsche genesis: had a '79 924 in high school then after a succesion of Jeeps, got back into the game when my buddy bought a 98 M3 and let me drive it--so I started looking for a 924, 924S, 931(can you tell I still love 924s), 951 or 928 in any colors but black or red. Found the 951, which is in pretty nice stock condition--if you ask me. Now looking to jettison the 951 for the right Mopar.

Found Rennlist way back doing a web search for Porsche boards.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:20 AM
dmfclf82
Instructor

NAME: Dave Fiscus

OCCUPATION: Regional Sales Representative for the largest manufacturer of Wolff Tanning beds in the US (13 years)

MARRIED: Chantell, 2 sons Evan 9 & Phoenix 10

HOBBIES: Raising 2 boys, Kids sports (60 travel baseball games last summer) Golf (when I have 4 hours for me) Traveling, Boating (live on a lake)

MY 1ST PORSCHE: In 1988 I bought an 86 944 turbo with 15k for $22,000. I have always thought that the 951 was the best performance for the $ period. I have not owned one since 97' untill now. I just purchased an 89' 951 and should be here within a couple of weeks. Needless to say I am very ecited to receive it.

HOW I HERD OF RENNLIST: During my 3 month search for a well kept 951 several people told me of the fourm so I immediatley joined (no brainer) I am a newby and am looking forward to meeting new people and sharing stories.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Little Porsche Boy
Instructor

Location: Auburn, Washington & San Diego ............................. Terry

Name: Terry Jamison

Occupation: Airline Pilot. The job's great. My office has a window with a view everywhere I go. The industry sucks. Management has just asked me to take a 37% pay cut and to give up my pension. If this keeps up, the wife is going back to work. Can you say Mr. Mom.

Full-time job: Keeping wife and children happy. Children, 4 and 2-yrs-old, are easy. Wife is more demanding.

Hobbies: See above. If I get any free time, I catch-up on my sleep.

My first, only and current Porsche: 1984 Guards Red 944, bought new in the summer of '84
Other car: 1993 Honda Odyssey EXL with DVD (My 4-year-old calls it the cheetah car. Just how fast does mommie drive, I wonder.)
My next Porsche: Hopefully a 968 Coupe

How I discovered Rennlist: Read about it on usenet alt.porsche.944
Old 01-12-2005, 12:17 PM
schumi
Instructor

name: Andy

hobbies: working on my cars, driving my cars at DE's, firearms, watching football and F1 on tv, reading non-fiction.

Porsche start: I have loved Porsches and other German makes since being a child. Lived in Germany for a long time and my Mom is German. As a high schooler in mid 80s I loved the 944s and 911s (the latter seemed out of reach pricewise at the time so I focused on 944 and 944T). While in school I never had $ for a Porsche so I had to settle for some other used sports/sporty cars, starting with my first car at age 21, an '85 Merkur XR4Ti (POS which blew up), then a '89 Honda Prelude S (great car), then when I was done with school I got one of my dream cars, a '95 BMW M3 which I modded over the years - I was very close to buying a 968 instead, and later an '85 Toyota MR2 with a ton of track mods. All of those cars were 5 speeds of course. But I always knew I wanted a Porsche. Really a 911, and I was very close to buying an older one, but I found a sweet deal on a 924S w/ tons of track mods already done so I bought it because I knew it would smoke any 911 that I could get for the very modest amount I had budgeted. I plan to get a mid 90s 911 at some point in the future but I'm very happy with the 924S for now.

Last edited by schumi; 01-12-2005 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Lots of New People Lately - Let's do a "Get To Know Each Other" Post For New & Old!!!