Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REQUEST TO TONE DOWN AVATARS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004 | 05:44 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Sure, let's just burn the Bill of Rights while we're at it.
Holy Cow!!

John D issued a Bill of Rights??

John! You ROCK dude.

Just to reiterate, this forum is NOT the United States of America. It is a semi-private place to come and share with others and it is graciously hosted by John and Jenn.

Let's put another spin on this. Would some of you go to John and Jenn's house and spread pictures like those in some of these avatars around? God, I'd hope not. I'd hope you'd have more respect and decorum than that. This is John and Jenn's place and they are gracious to host us here.

Oh, and don't anybody say anything about being a member or otherwise being a contributor. That doesn't buy you the right to do whatever you like or have bad manners. It's still their place.

Thanks John and Jenn.
Old 06-17-2004 | 05:48 PM
Dave
Race Car

Thanks Geo, very well stated! I wonder what Jenn thinks of all this?
Old 06-17-2004 | 05:58 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Deleted
Originally posted by John D.
... and do wonder “is my Avatar OK?”. If you have to wonder whether it’s appropriate or not – chances are you already know it’s probably “on the edge of the envelope”. So – change it out. By doing so, you are showing your respect that same community and the folks that frequent these Forums from their place of work and home. And remember – if someone contacts you in private from the Forums, and politely asks you to please review your Avatar – there is probably a good reason they went to that effort to make that request. Respect their situation which would instigate that request. In Tom’s case for example – he really shouldn’t have to be embarrassed if a co-worker happened to glance at his monitor while he was cruising through Rennlist. Leave that embarrassment for cruising other sites.

And – in reality - it really shouldn’t happen when browsing the Rennlist sites and Forums.

Last edited by Tom R.; 07-01-2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-17-2004 | 06:04 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Tom R.

The pictures don't offend me. The risk of offending a coworker concerns me.

Too bad I care more about my coworkers than a few of you guys care about me and the many others that agree with my request.
Tom if you really care about your co-workers so much then simply turn off the avatars and your problem will be solved, counting on 25,000 people to tone it down is alot harder than hitting a button is it not? How much time to you spend on Rennlist at work anyway? Wouldn't it be more productive to surf Rennlist AFTER work anyways? just my 0.02 cents
Old 06-17-2004 | 06:08 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by jsonnen
Wouldn't it be more productive to surf Rennlist AFTER work anyways? just my 0.02 cents
Cant agree with that, A good dose of Rennlist during they day keeps me from killing my boss/peers/underlings
Old 06-17-2004 | 06:17 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Marc Gelefsky
Cant agree with that, A good dose of Rennlist during they day keeps me from killing my boss/peers/underlings
Good point Mark......are your avatars turned off?
Old 06-17-2004 | 06:37 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

People by their very nature are highly hypocritical. The same men or women who might take offense to hot chicks on a msg board are the same ones who have a stack of Cosmo or Glamour or Rolling Stone magazines on their coffee table that their nieces and nephews are free to scan through when the kids go unsupervised. A woman will take offense to the Miss America Pageant, then she'll proceed to go buy a 12 month subscription to Cosmo that does nothing but pontificate outer beauty, wealth, and sex. A hot chick avatar will offend a woman faster than "10 Ways to Get Your Male Lover to Find Your G-Spot" article headline on a magazine article shes read 10 times (and dictated notes to into a recorder).

Ive long since stopped worrying about everybodys elses definition of sensibility and morality. Most of the people who have a beef with me and tell me Ive gone to the dogs are the same ones who show up for church only on Easter and Christmas and myteriously omit parts of the bible that call for such things as fidelity. They tell you that you dress like a *****, then proceed to go out have a beer at the strip club because "thats different." I dunno about folks.

Whoa. I better stop now or I will be going into the abyss.

Ive been accused of being nuts once or twice.
Old 06-17-2004 | 07:06 PM
jp944
Pro

Tom if you really care about your co-workers so much then simply turn off the avatars and your problem will be solved, counting on 25,000 people to tone it down is alot harder than hitting a button is it not?
It isn't asking 25000 people to tone it down. It is a matter of asking a dozen or so people to tone it down so the other 24,988 don't have an issue with reading it in front of their co-workers.
Old 06-17-2004 | 07:09 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by jp944
It isn't asking 25000 people to tone it down. It is a matter of asking a dozen or so people to tone it down so the other 24,988 don't have an issue with reading it in front of their co-workers.

Even if it is only a dozen or so(its not) it is still alot easier to turn-off your avatars, why is that so hard to grasp?
Old 06-17-2004 | 07:10 PM
Danno
Race Director

"the same ones who show up for church only on Easter and Christmas and myteriously omit parts of the bible that call for such things as fidelity."

Don't you know that churches are one of the best places to scope out for hot chics to have affairs with? Otherwise, you'd never get to meet some of them. And many of them will only go out with members of their church. So just by going to church, you've already got one foot in the door, or one hand in their... oh never mind....
Old 06-17-2004 | 07:11 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

I just got me a new sweet avatar...
Old 06-17-2004 | 07:26 PM
jp944
Pro

Even if it is only a dozen or so(its not) it is still alot easier to turn-off your avatars, why is that so hard to grasp?
Learn what 'community' means, and then it will be easier for you to grasp it. Avatars make the forums more personal and easier to read. Even if he had already turned them off, his asking for help is completely appropriate. Why is common courtesy so hard to grasp? We should be willing to make adjustments so others have a good 'Rennlist Experience'. That is what 'community is about.

If your avatar is already borderline, why not reel it in a bit so people don't have to turn off their avatars? So their wives and daughters and co-workers can enjoy the list too. Why is it such a problem? It isn't, if you have a sense of community.
Old 06-17-2004 | 07:34 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Well your idea of community may differ from mine although I do see your point, but really this has gotten way out of hand why should a woman in a nighty be considered offensive? If you don't like it............turn your avatars off..........its not that hard!
Old 06-17-2004 | 07:44 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Danno-

You speak the Gospel soul brother. Churches are a great place to meet babes. I may go looking for one w/o kids and who are there on like a Wednesday in August. The produce section at the supermarket is a good place too. Ironically I find Hooters a bad place. Maybe its just ours, but the local Hooters here has chicks who look like they could gnaw the end of a bedpost off.
Old 06-17-2004 | 07:55 PM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

Well I for one don't care how any of you feel about it, but I'll be damned if I put a bra on my car!!

Quick Reply: REQUEST TO TONE DOWN AVATARS!