Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REQUEST TO TONE DOWN AVATARS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 12:13 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by Tom R.; 07-01-2004 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:20 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine's not bad, she's just photographed that way...
Old 06-17-2004, 12:23 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the girly avatars were totally within reasonable limits. If you KNOW your co-workers would not like what they see, even if it is reasonable, it is YOUR responsibility to turn OFF avatars. If the avatars were over the line, I would agree with you, that they would need to be toned down.

However, unless they were changed since the last time I logged on, they were not over the line, in my opinion.

The arguement that they have nothing to do with rennlist or Porsches is BS. I could photoshop in a copy of Panorama and that would make it okay???

The purpose of that avatars is not to show off your car, it is to distinguish different users by something personal to them. IMHO there are more than enough red 951s in the world, I don't want my avatar to be a red 951, I want my avatar to say something about me. Yes I love StreetFighter, I love Ryu, and I am an agressive person. (sometimes)

But if you have a problem with avatars, maybe instead of asking everyone to cater to you, you could turn off the avatars while at work.

PS - You might also be higly impressed by how much faster every page loads when avatars/signatures are turned off!!!!!
Old 06-17-2004, 12:29 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

You want me to put a shirt on my dog in my avatar?
Old 06-17-2004, 12:36 PM
icat
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Tom. The avatars AND the language are out of control. I don't have the problem of a boss looking over my shoulder - I am the boss. But I still think the girly avatars are degrading, offensive, and unnessasary. This is a Porsche forum - not Playboy.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:41 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by Tom R.; 07-01-2004 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:47 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Tom R.
Rich,
How is posting a picture from some hot gal's soft core site something personal? Distingushing oneself with something different not comparable to posting soft core of someone one never met, which in my opinion is far from personal.
Well Tom, I suspect some of our fellow rennlisters are getting kinda "personal" when visiting these soft core sites, If ya know what I mean.

Old 06-17-2004, 12:48 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Tom R.
Same here!

It is quicker to know who is posting by glancing at the avatar.

Instead of turning them off at work, I will try to log on less often. Now thats a solution. Everyone should just stop visiting the site.

Maybe John should make avatars available only to paid members.

jeez... who peed in your wheaties?

what's next- no more
Old 06-17-2004, 12:51 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by icat
I agree with Tom. The avatars AND the language are out of control. I don't have the problem of a boss looking over my shoulder - I am the boss. But I still think the girly avatars are degrading, offensive, and unnessasary. This is a Porsche forum - not Playboy.
I agree. I come to rennlist to interact with the online Porsche community, not to oogle girly pics.

I am sure that most of you would NOT appreciate me using a pic of ME in a thong for my avatar, not that there is such a picture out there! Just visualizing that is making me feel sick!

It's not a question about turning off the avatars at work - it's a matter of having respect for other people's requests. I don't think Tom is asking too much here. I've asked for some avatar changes myself. What is the big deal about respecting Tom's request?

A general rule I have heard applied in such situations is this: if there is a mix of people ranging from conservative views to liberal views, it is best to adopt the conservative stance - that way, no one gets offended.

Just something to think about,
-Z-man.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:54 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Tom.

I don't understand the adolescent need to have scantily clad women in avatars and other photos on a car forum. I guess I'm strange. I don't get the stupid bikini contests at some car shows and gatherings either.

I'm far from a prude. But I like to involve my wife with my car stuff and I know others like to involve their families with their car suff. I don't think anyone should have to apologize for what they view on Rennlist or other car forum.

As for the ACLU and freedom of speech, that would be fine if Rennlist were the USA, but it's not. It's a semi-private Internet site and mailing list. John is the god, the king, the czar of all that happens here. Whatever rights we have here are given my John.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:54 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Hey, If I think "Perfect Paz" is the hottest thing since sliced bread, and I want everyone to know, that's my choice - as long as it doesn't cross the line. Which I don't think anyone's has, as of yet. That it is "degrading to women" is your personal subjective opinion and is wide open to debate.

If Michelle or Julie put up pictures of some guy hunk they think is really hot, I couldn't care less. That's their thing, fine. Our avatars are "our thing" apart from our cars.

So what? Danno's avatar is okay because she is sitting on a 944???

John D, I would think, has the final say if any avatars are over the limit, and he surfs often enough to put the kibosh on any that are out of line, IMHO and has done so in the past.

If your personal beliefs or your surfing environments are not as relaxed as the rest of us, feel free to turn off avatars!!
Old 06-17-2004, 12:55 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Ive always thought the signatures were worse than the avatars, I guess I will turn those off as well so no one gets offended that I dont like watching 4x6 pictures load and could care less what kind of shift **** they have...
Old 06-17-2004, 12:56 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

if there is a mix of people ranging from conservative views to liberal views, it is best to adopt the conservative stance - that way, no one gets offended.
Think about the falacy in that statement, Big Z!!!!!!!!

Let me guess? You are a conservative, right????????
Old 06-17-2004, 12:58 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Now TOM's HUGE sig on the other hand is more offensive to me than "perfect paz" ever was. at least she was 1/200th the size of Tom's grey S2 sig!!!!

(I hope nobody reads too much into my debating here.. I like all you guys and don't wish to offend anyone with my views.. )

Old 06-17-2004, 12:58 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Z-man
I am sure that most of you would NOT appreciate me using a pic of ME in a thong for my avatar, not that there is such a picture out there! Just visualizing that is making me feel sick!
Well, I wont be needing to have lunch now that this thought is in my head!

I am by no means offended by nude woman .
But we need to keep the girls in the off topic forum, where they belong! And even than we need to exercise good judgement in what we post.
Out of respect for our fellow rennlisters and more important, out of respect for John D.

And there is just no need to use foul language in a forum topic.

Just my .00951 cents.

Quick Reply: REQUEST TO TONE DOWN AVATARS!