Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REQUEST TO TONE DOWN AVATARS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 03:29 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Eric
No--it is "I am WithStarsInHerEyes and I love 944s"
Old 06-17-2004, 03:38 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by v944god
Hot girls and hot cars go hand to hand. We usually relate fast cars with fast chics

I think none of the avatars were out of hand, maybee because I'm a pretty young guy and I tend to look at that type of material But to force others to take it down is sort of selfish.
Isn't it also 'sort of selfish' to keep such avatars up when someone is offended by them? It goes both ways.

UDPride: I guess your avatar is 'bitter revenge.' Plus your description of 'other' avatars is pretty funny.

I still think the AVATARS should be limited to PG.

-Z.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:45 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by Tom R.; 07-01-2004 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:49 PM
PrerYDoG
Pro

Thanks Tom for stating this. I have felt the same way for some time now. I too occasionally view the Renn from work, and I enjoy many peoples avatars. But the work place I'm in, it would be very no-no to see some of the avatars posted. Some of you people say fine turn them off, or don't view the Renn at work, you're missing the bigger picture here. Some of us really do like many of the avatars out there, and would like to view them. Some people don't want to be caught at HOME by wives/children/etc. with these avatars posted up. When creating messages threads with material Not safe for work, people post that in the topic, should topics automatically be updated when a person with questionable material in an avatar posts to a thread? Afterall, most not-safe-for-work material posted is usually no more risque than what are in avatars, just a larger version of it.

Now, I'm certainly not a prude, and definately not a social conservative (and anyone who really knows me, knows this), but this is not the place for the material, and it is often not the time.

Tom - thanks for starting this thread. At least some people do respect the diversity of the people and places that Rennlist is viewed, and are mature enough to appreciate that. To the others...well, maybe one day you too will learn that lesson, or the rock you live under may one day crush you.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:51 PM
PrerYDoG
Pro

And I will leave the large pictue of my "new" Porsche in the signature for the kids to drool over until told otherwise.
/In BOOMING VOICE of GOD/

MAKE IT SMALLER

/Normal Voice/

please??
Old 06-17-2004, 03:55 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

No where does it say "no avatars of girls", however the option to turn them off does exist...that being said: with the boring bad avatars, comes the good ones with girls! sometimes you just have to take the bad with the good man.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by Tom R.; 07-01-2004 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:07 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom, if it makes you feel better, when I complained that someone linked an essentially **** pic in the OT forum that I viewed at work I got two pages of....well, dont view it at work. I dont know about you but work consumes me from about 0430 until at least 1800 every day.

I am on a computer almost all the time so when I get home I am not really inclined to be on it more. Further, in case some of you havent noticed the main board moves at lightning speed and it can be near impossible to keep up without periodically checking during the day.

I dont find most of the girlies offensive, though I did ask AKS968 to change his once and he was very polite in doing so, but to be honest it is a little akward having to explain them to my wife when I am sharing Rennlist with her. FWIW, neither of us is a prude either.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:07 PM
PrerYDoG
Pro

Ohhhh Tom...me likey now Fits all on one small screen!

Nice wax job by the way.. Tell the kid though, he plays in that grass too long, he's gonna get his pants dirty ;0
Old 06-17-2004, 04:09 PM
jp944
Pro

Originally posted by UDPride
Im offended by your Sanford and Son avatar. That show perpetuated the black stereotype of uneducated poor african american men who have no ambition in life and do nothing but trade junk and live like pigs. Red Foxx was also an alcoholic with many personal problems and eventually spent all his fortune away on booze and women.

It has to go.
It is gone. Sorry if the pic of the groundbreaking african-american comedian offended anyone. He's always been one of my favorites.

I stand by my earlier statement, that it is a real shame that my daughters can't enjoy Rennlist as much as I do, even though they may love Porsches more than I do. Maybe another forum is more suitable.

I can't believe we're all actually arguing about whether or not we can help out a fellow rennlister so he can participate in the list at work. I cannot believe that he's being crucified for asking for help. It would have been easier for him to just quit participating at work, but then we lose a valuable member of the community. Instead he asked for help, and look at what it got him. So much for a helpful community... I think this board has officially jumped the shark.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:16 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Default Then Comes The Day....

"Hey Dad! I'm taking the car on my date!"
Old 06-17-2004, 04:18 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Ban UDPRIDE!! That avatar so wrong. I just as disturbed that you took the time to resize it and everything. I couldn't stand it for that long.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:24 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DAMN!!! I go to work for the first time in half a years and this thread goes 5 pages?!?
First there was one girly avatar and it was a unique, personal statement. A few months later there is a second user with a similar avatar, it's no longer unique and it's far less personal. Then there were 3 and it begs to be called a fad, unique and personal are out the window.
Some of us have avatars that display our wives/girlfriends, these are fairly personal, some display our kids, same deal (sisters are only used in a few regions fortunately). Avatars with cars are the most appropriate IMO (this IS a car site) and are personal if they are our own cars. I guess Marc hit the nail on the head, there's only one way that thee cheesecake shots can be considered personal and I don't really care to know what any of you view when alone with your monitors!
Old 06-17-2004, 04:24 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Yeap. Ol Red Fox should never have used the ironies of his ethnicity to make that fortune to squander away as he decided he wanted to.

Should have been some government agency to stop him.

I remember sneaking into a buddies house to listen to his parents Red Fox records. Fifth or sixth grade IIRC.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:31 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

That does date you! For the record, I listened to him AND Flip Wilson.

Oh, back on topic, I'm going the way of Swtizerland on this one (secretly I have an opinion but am afraid to express it).

I love you guys. Group hug?

Quick Reply: REQUEST TO TONE DOWN AVATARS!