Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REQUEST TO TONE DOWN AVATARS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 04:32 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll take my group hug at 944 fest Tifo.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:34 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello fan. here comes shi...
Old 06-17-2004, 04:35 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a fan of sensorship by any means. My opinion is, if you don't like it you don't have to look/listen. But, that really only goes for TV and radio. If you want to participate in a web community, you get everything that comes with it.

Now, you can in fact turn off avatars and signatures. My feeling is though, that you shouldn't have to.

UD Pride is my hero. That takes courage, determination, and a cast iron stomach to post such a classic avatar. Excuse my while I vomit...
Old 06-17-2004, 04:37 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Chris_924s
I'll take my group hug at 944 fest Tifo.
You'll have to stack a bunch of beer cans into a facsimile of me and hug it then since I will be AWOL from the Fest .
Old 06-17-2004, 04:40 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

People can be stubborn and everyone has their own attitude. Like suggested before, just turn off avatars at work.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:43 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

exactly. Limiting our freedoms is wrong. Turn off avatars. It's that easy. The answer to this problem will not satisfy every one either way, so just turn them off at work.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:56 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Deleted

When i first started to visit this board the posters were adults or youg people behaving like adults. Now it is just a bunch of over hormoned kids trying to be cool. Kinda like the stereotype of a ricer! Not much different than the guys on the camaro board.

Last edited by Tom R.; 07-01-2004 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:00 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Interesting thread(s) at a lot of levels…

Let me take a moment and share my opinion. Some of you may agree, and other may choose to disagree – and that’s just fine. Remember – it’s only one person’s opinion out of many…

“Avatars” are individual forms of “expression”, much like an opinion, or a creative writing exercise, or different colors of clothing, or even what we wear altogether. Those things separate us from others – play off our individuality like the numerous screen names (about 25,000 altogether) and some those, you see in this thread.

Now, that being said – how can one effectively “moderate to conformity” – when to “conform” requires that we lose a portion of that individuality or freedom of expression? And further – whose “standard” would you require folks conform to? Mine? Yours? The collective community called “Rennlist”?

Hmmm – at first, those appear to be difficult questions. But in reality - the answers are just as easy.

First – I look at what “Rennlist” is – it’s a blending of people, cultures and beliefs as to what is “acceptable” or not. In the past, I’ve found that except for the few basic rules written in the Charter, the most effective “moderation” comes from the folks within the community itself, rather then one single individual (look at this thread – well, except for UD Pride’s most recent change ) and some of you have respected Tom’s and others’ situation – and willingly changed out your previous Avatar. To me – that’s what it’s all about…

Second – I can also tell you that there are Avatars that I’ve privately asked folks to “review” – wondering if they think about it, are they really “appropriate” for a forum about Porsches? My guess is about 99% of the time – I get a quick “Yep, sorry about that…” reply, and they are voluntary changed out. From my viewpoint – most of the folks here are mature enough to know “what the community” standard is – and willfully choose to support it or ignore it. If they ignore it, then yes – I do help them with that change from my end, and send them a slightly different communication.

Third – sure, I could write something into the Charter, but I won’t. Not at this time. I’m still a firm believer one person can’t – and shouldn’t – try to “moderate masses to conformity” based on my individual sense of “right” or “wrong”. So, for now – I choose not to change the Charter. And again – that’s my choice and my opinion as to what and how it should “work”.

Finally – what I will also add – is for folks who do read this post, and do wonder “is my Avatar OK?”. If you have to wonder whether it’s appropriate or not – chances are you already know it’s probably “on the edge of the envelope”. So – change it out. By doing so, you are showing your respect that same community and the folks that frequent these Forums from their place of work and home. And remember – if someone contacts you in private from the Forums, and politely asks you to please review your Avatar – there is probably a good reason they went to that effort to make that request. Respect their situation which would instigate that request. In Tom’s case for example – he really shouldn’t have to be embarrassed if a co-worker happened to glance at his monitor while he was cruising through Rennlist. Leave that embarrassment for cruising other sites.

And – in reality - it really shouldn’t happen when browsing the Rennlist sites and Forums.

Old 06-17-2004, 05:01 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure, let's just burn the Bill of Rights while we're at it.

I think there's a HUGE difference between yelling "fire" in a theater and posting a picture that is no more "offensive" than what one might find on public television these days (even given the FCC's "nipple-gate" inspired vendetta against "extreme content" in order to pander to the religious right in an election year - but that's another issue for another time, perhaps).

This is really stupid. If you don't like the avitars, don't look at them, disable them, or (here's a concept) use work time to ACTUALLY DO WORK!!!
Old 06-17-2004, 05:02 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Im a paying member, so are you. There is an option to turn off avatars. There is an option to upload pictures. Which one can you personally control?

ding, ding, ding... Right! You can "choose" not to view them.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:04 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Thank you John.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:09 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As usual, John's wisdom and fair interpretation prevails. No problem there.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have being following this post all day and it is very interesting. John, you always amaze me with you calm manner in which you handle this "community." I applaud you for all your efforts, well said post above. Best wishes - Jay
Old 06-17-2004, 05:13 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom if you are so embarassed then why don't you simply turn you avatars off? Wouldn't that solve your problem alot easier rather than ask 25,000 people to tone down their avatars? Someone help me understand where the problem is, cause I can't see one, I have my avatars shut-off.......
Old 06-17-2004, 05:19 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Just having John D go out of his way to mention my name is humbling indeed for the Pridester. Hail to the Chief.

Quick Reply: REQUEST TO TONE DOWN AVATARS!