Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Anyone with a 993tt engine in a 930??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 04:06 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jonathan, maybe you should ask Jean what he thinks a safe boost target would be. 1.3 sounds a lot to me but I don't know jack about the 993 cars other than they dont have H2o I don't see the point in running that much boost to have the timing pulled though...
Old 10-31-2008, 04:52 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

I thought it might be time for a little update, well after months of backwards and forwards i think the mapping is actually there now. It's been a long slog, turbos getting ruined, countless new sensors and valves, actuators and god only knows how much mapping time but i think it may well be ok now. I'm getting a steady 1.1bar and it's running really well, i tried a couple of 60-130mph runs but i'm getting wheel spin even up at 120mph, it's cold here in the UK now and the conditions are not ideal.
Next step is to fit the RSR suspension and big reds i just need to purchace the wheels, then the final touches will be a G50 box and some light weight seats and a half cage and i may well be able to say it's done. Until i find something else that i want to change, at least it's now going in the right direction
Old 10-31-2008, 10:56 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Good on ya' Jonathan! I know its been a long haul. What was the "final solution?" Wheelspin at 120 huh? Just keep the pointy end forward my friend.

JP
Old 11-02-2008, 03:47 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Hi Jim
I'm sure i wouldn't be struggling for traction if it was warmer, the winter is upon us here now so the car will be getting little use until next year.
Was good to come out and see you the other month, thanks again for your hospitality, i will come over again some time in the future and as you know you're more than welcome over here, although my place is a little more humble than yours
I'll let you know when i get the suspension sorted and i'll send you my dampers as promised, speak soon

ETA: I'm still not sure what the issue was in the end, we changed the MAF sensor, the N75 (frequency valve), wastegate actuators and just kept playing with the settings and eventually got it right. I had an RS Tuning ECU on there and a stock one and it was still playing up with those, it was a real headache but it's going well now, will get it on the dyno soon and see what it's producing power wise, it should be a little over 500, it certainly hauls ***
Old 11-02-2008, 04:31 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Jonathan, that's awful kind of you. Let me know what the shipping runs, I can at least reimburse you that. How's "Sparky" doing? It was great having both of you here. The patio's all finished and furnished now. We were sitting outside last night with the fire pit going and enjoying our "winter" weather. If and when I get back over there I'll be sure and get together with you, dinner will be on me.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:55 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Glad you're making progress Jonathan.

You may want to check with your insurance company before fitting a cage, all the insurers I've dealt with are really against a cage. Who are you with? My carrera is due for renewal soon and AON are being difficult about trackday cover for Snetterton even though I was told my policy would cover it...
Old 11-26-2008, 07:55 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

I found some spare time to take the car to the dyno today, everything seams in order. It's not quite as much power as i thought but the boost is in control and the fuel is on the rich side which is good. I'd do some 60-130mph runs but road conditions don't allow it, i'm happy for now, with this boost level the car will be reliable and will keep me entertained, here's a video and some dyno charts, i had to shrink the vid size so the quality is poor

On the Dyno

Old 11-26-2008, 08:06 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Very nice, I love the torque curve.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:09 AM
ddawg
AutoX

About half way through the video, where I think the dyno run starts, at about 2-3K RMP, looks like the rear wheel rolls up on the front roller and is no longer in contact with the rear roller. Should it do that? Does it affect results?
Old 11-27-2008, 05:43 AM
YearOne
Racer

Hey JBL who is doing the work on your car and the tuning? I am also in the UK in the south east and have a car being done at the moment. If you want to do the suspension properly I can highly recommend Richard Tuthill my car is there at the moment having had suspension, half cage, seats and various other bits and pieces done. It is now off to Bob Watson Engineering for the engine work after which I will show it to the world, it will be a bit of a surprise...
Old 11-27-2008, 01:59 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Originally Posted by schnele
Very nice, I love the torque curve.
Cheers Lincoln, it's a shame there is a slight blip in the boost early on, it doesn't do that on the road though so i'm not concerned.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:05 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Originally Posted by ddawg
About half way through the video, where I think the dyno run starts, at about 2-3K RMP, looks like the rear wheel rolls up on the front roller and is no longer in contact with the rear roller. Should it do that? Does it affect results?

It looks a bit scary when it gets up on the rollers, no idea if it affects the results to be honest, they did three runs and they were all within 1hp. I've learned that chassis dyno numbers are to be taken with a pinch of salt anyway, what they are good for is back to back comparrison and in it's current state of tune it's behaving itself better than it's ever done on this dyno. I could squeeze out some more boost safely but to be honest it's plenty fast enough for now
Old 11-27-2008, 02:15 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Originally Posted by YearOne
Hey JBL who is doing the work on your car and the tuning? I am also in the UK in the south east and have a car being done at the moment. If you want to do the suspension properly I can highly recommend Richard Tuthill my car is there at the moment having had suspension, half cage, seats and various other bits and pieces done. It is now off to Bob Watson Engineering for the engine work after which I will show it to the world, it will be a bit of a surprise...
I've got Richard Chamberlain lined up to do my suspension, brakes and geo, and if money allows he'll be fitting a G50 at the same time along with a half cage etc.
Paul at Northway fitted the engine including all the other mods required to get it in, Fearnsport did the mapping which took a lot longer than expected but we got there in the end.
I've not had any work done by Bob, i've used his dyno once and wasn't impressed with the lack of cooling for someone specializing in aircooled porsches.
What work is he doing to the engine? Send me a PM if you'd rather keep it off the forums
Old 11-28-2008, 02:07 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

"It is now off to Bob Watson Engineering for the engine work after which I will show it to the world, it will be a bit of a surprise..."

You mean Bob Watson of PCGB technical adviser fame?
I used him for some work on my 965....
but I can't find the right emoticon on here.
(Cryptic? Oh yes.)

Last edited by 911addict; 11-29-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:13 PM
mjims
Instructor

Looking good John! and its looks like you've got rid of those horrible 997 tail pipes

to answer your question on the other thread, my build is going very slow, infact it not yet a "build", its still a "strip"!

Quick Reply: Anyone with a 993tt engine in a 930??