Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Anyone with a 993tt engine in a 930??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 04:37 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JP, that does look purposeful, it's fully kitted though, slant nose, vented arches etc. Your right about black being a forgiving colour though with regards to body mods. I may have no choice but to go for something like that with the wing for now. I may be able to fit intercoolers like the CTR in the future and go back to a standard tail, fo now it seams my options are limited! Cheers for you input, really appreciated, advice seams very thin on the ground at the moment
Old 02-13-2008, 04:54 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Figure you may know this already, but it doesnt need a different i/c, but you MUST put the i/c cover on and get it to seal w/the rear wing. Otherwise, that will heat soak and never cool down. 993TT keeps the i/c cool by pullig all air through it via the fan.

I spent a ton of time making mine fit properly and its worth it. With out it....after a spirited drive....it was HOT...with it, you can pull in the garage, open the deck lid put your hand on the i/c and its warm to the touch.

Best,

Last edited by LA964RS; 02-13-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:07 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Jonathan, that's a 3.8 RS wing on a modified read deck. Almost exactly what I was referring to originally. That doesn't look too bad IMHO. It obviously not stock, but it looks like it means business. I think I'd lose the third light in it though. Always liked that wing. ZI think it was one of the best Porsche ever did.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:05 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 3.8 wing is wide enough to accommodate the side pipes. I looked at the DP style tail and the sides will still not clear. The 3.8 still requires some serious cutting. You can see where I made those changes in my old car in the pics I posted.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:36 AM
myturbo36
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As PorschePhD stated, you will need to trim a significant amount from the rear deck lid...but a standard tail will fit the 993TT intercooler (I am using the 993 Turbo S style). Take a look at the pictures to see how much had to be trimmed from the deck lid and the tail. Be careful when trimming, you will need to leave enough surface to fabricate mounting points to securel the tail to the deck lid.

I also agree with LA964RS that fitting the intercooler shroud is important and will dramatically impact the intercooler efficiency. I had to slightly trim the sides of the rubber seal to clear the deck lid.
Attached Images     
Old 02-14-2008, 04:15 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

myturbo36, thanks for the pics, I'm amazed you got that tail to fit over the intercooler, it doesn't look like there is enough room. When you look at the side picture of mine does the intercooler stick out as much as yours? I'm wondering if mine is further back as i'm using the 4 speed box?

Stephen, thanks for your input, i'm a little confused with which tail is called what, the one on your old car was a GT2 tail right? I always thought the ones with the air ducts were GT2 and the ones without were the RS, please correct me. Also, as i've already asked above, does my intercooler look like it's in the same position as yours was?

Old 02-14-2008, 02:40 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Hard to tell from the pics Jonathan, but it looks like yours might overhang a little more to the rear. Look at the rear edge of your intercooler in relation to the fan and shroud on yours vs. myturbo36's. I know the side-side is wider and requires extensive trimming, but what about the vertical height? Will that deck lid shut over the IC w/o getting some additional height in the lid/tail?

Your correct about the tails, simply put the 3.8RS tail had no ducts, the GT-2 was essentially the 3.8 RS mainplane with ducts integrated into the endplates.

Keep stroking Jonathan, its getting there.

Jim P.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:20 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Went and had another good look today, i think the stock tail might well fit, it will need to be butchered a bit but i think it will go, i haven't checked the height as it was going dark but there is hope.
That is until i got my hands on a bigger intercooler, i haven't parted with any money yet as i wanted to see if it would work, it definitely won't fit with the stock tail but thought i'd post some pics, i've heard mixed reports about them, some say they are better some not?

Oh, and i picked up my new turbos too!! K24/16 hybrids, the K16 hot sides have been ported, and they are supposed to be great, getting excited about feeling the torque these bad boys will generate!!

I'm going to remove the front condenser for the aircon, and replace it with an oil cooler, there is already a fan there too so i think it will be a great solution for now. If it doesn't have the required effect then i will change the front valance and fit the cooler there.

The wing that Stephen had on his car is not made anymore apparently, if i can get the stock tail over the stock 993 intercooler then i will run with that.
When i go with a 5 speed i will need to rethink everything as the engine will need to come further back which puts the stock wing out of the equation, at that point i may decide to other mods to the body anyway, i'm on the middle of a very slippery slope, tis fun though!!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:57 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

IT'S ALIVE....... There's a way to go yet but it's up and running and all seams well, will report with more info as and when
Old 03-25-2008, 12:16 PM
early85944
Pro

Nice job and congrats on the new beast
Old 03-25-2008, 01:50 PM
stu.p
Racer

Surperb!..Be interesting to hear what you think once all running properly!
Old 03-25-2008, 11:51 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

This is a 993 fitted with a 993TT motor. You might be able to get some ideas from here...he has relocated his IC's so he can run a engine lid without any tail.

http://www.houston-imports.com/index...23&Itemid=35#5

If there is a way of you keeping the origanal tail I would do it. The stock lines with the stock tail are simply the best Porsche has ever offerd.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:55 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Cheers chaps, it's certainly going to be a handful, i'm just pleased it's actually running, will come back with stuff as it transpires

Flatsix, i've seen Princeton's car many times on here, lovely isn't it! A work of art!
Old 03-28-2008, 12:29 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

JBL,
Congrats mate! Glad to hear she's making noise and lives again. I think it'll be a hoot driving it. Keep letting us know how its going.

Cheers for now,
JP
Old 03-31-2008, 03:35 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Originally Posted by srf506
JBL,
Congrats mate! Glad to hear she's making noise and lives again. I think it'll be a hoot driving it. Keep letting us know how its going.

Cheers for now,
JP
Hi Jim, hope you're well mate, missed the Sebring race again didn't I, I was talking with my mates and we were going to do something for a lads weekend, I thought i'd get on to you and see if we could join you out there, then realized I was way too late, my head is like a sieve!
I'll keep posting bits and bobs, the engine was in for the last time, he was tidying everything up and tried to start the engine, the starter motor seams to be sticking when it's hot, it's fine when it's cold which is weird!
So the engine is coming back out and he is going to put a bevel edge on the ring gear so it will engage easier. The 930 starter working with the 993 flywheel has been the biggest headache, loads of buggering about, he could probably do one in a 10th of the time next time! Ah well.

Took a few pics while i was there, might as well throw them on for posterity. The right hand turbo looks in a better position now don't you think! Managed to save the old right hand header, heated it up and gently bent it back, fingers crossed it will hold, he assures me there is no debris in there, don't want to buy more bloody turbos, i should open a second hand turbo store!!

Quick Reply: Anyone with a 993tt engine in a 930??