Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Anyone with a 993tt engine in a 930??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 05:17 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct Jim, all from Clint at Rebel. Remember me giving you a bit of stick about going so stiff with your rear suspension? You were right, i was wrong!

The speedo is now bang on, was WAY out before, almost 15% up above 150mph. Now i hold the car at exactly 70mph on the speedo, and the Tom Tom says exactly the same!! I'm hoping to get into the 190's at the next Vmax, should be there with the bigger wheels and a bit more confidence. Here's a snap shot of the data from the last run

Old 08-12-2009, 07:22 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

So the car was tracking well in the 180's? How light did the front end feel?

Last edited by jimculp; 08-13-2009 at 09:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-13-2009, 06:13 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

The car felt great, it didn't bat an eyelid to be honest. I was expecting the steering to go light like you say, or for it to start wandering, but neither happened. It felt great, it's quite something hammering along at that kind of speed in a 20 odd year old car so all your senses are alive, but the car was fine. I've been a passenger in a 964t (600+bhp JUDD tuned) and two RS Tuning 993tt's on the same runway at over 190mph and they didn't feel that much different stability wise. The only hairy thing is the breaking at the end, the runway at Bruntingthorpe ends in an earth bank, lock up and it's game over, i was shocked how well the car handled hard breaking though, you can see how quickly it scrubbed the speed off. Here's a graph from one of the runs showing lateral and long G, you can see as i start the run i'm coming around a corner so a bit of lateral G, nearly 0.8 at one point which isn't a lot at all as i was going very steady. If you follow the lateral G for the rest of the run it's very steady until i brake at the end and turn the corner

Old 08-13-2009, 09:36 AM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Thanks JBL- I wish we had a venue for top speed runs in my area. One more thing- what tire pressures were you running? Do you change pressures for that type of run?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:18 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

A little over stock, just over 2bar front and just over 3bar rear, didn't really give that a lot of thought to be honest. I wouldn't mind some input on this if anyone is reading, what would you run pressure wise for high speed runs?

Check out Ray Williams breaking the NZ land speed record in a stock bodied 930, this guy has some big bollocks to do this on such a small road http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6_Ou...eature=related

He goes a bit quicker in 96, he's removed the mirrors and taped up some stuff, he got into the 190's then http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll-2l...eature=related
Old 08-13-2009, 11:05 AM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Lots of telephone poles lining that route. Eesh.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:24 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Hey Jonathan,
If you were running a whole road course I'd let the air out of the tires, refill with nitrogen and probably go with about 32 - 34 in the front and around 36-40 in the back cold. But I assume you're just making a "flying start" turning onto the runway from the taxiway and full-speed down the 4,000 feet or so of runway and stopping on the overrun. That's really such a short blast I might start a pound or two closer to your final desired pressures (36 front/44 rear is my personal choice), but it's kind of what you like in the "feel."

Cheers mate!
Jim P.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:48 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Originally Posted by srf506
Hey Jonathan,
If you were running a whole road course I'd let the air out of the tires, refill with nitrogen and probably go with about 32 - 34 in the front and around 36-40 in the back cold. But I assume you're just making a "flying start" turning onto the runway from the taxiway and full-speed down the 4,000 feet or so of runway and stopping on the overrun. That's really such a short blast I might start a pound or two closer to your final desired pressures (36 front/44 rear is my personal choice), but it's kind of what you like in the "feel."

Cheers mate!
Jim P.
Hi Jim

I still have the HD's here to send you, i promise i'll get round to it, life just gets in the way mate and i just keep getting distracted!! Sorry!!

Bought a new reg for the car, thought it was apt, not sure on the colour of the plates though, these are for pre 73 cars here in the UK so not entirely legal, should be on the normal yellow reflective background with black letters, but thought this would look better on a black car, not convinced with it yet but it may grow on me? Got the clear rear lenses darkened too, think that looks better than before. Hope you're well mate

Old 08-30-2009, 05:53 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Hey Jonathan,
Good to hear from you mate. No rush on the HDs, I'm grateful for the thought. The car is looking great. I just finished a 3,000 mile ride on the Harley up to Somerset PA, Arlington VA and NYC, NY and back. The purpose was a 911 Memorial run. Those are the three sites where the events happened that day. Weather was a little damp, but a great ride all the same.

Hope Sparky and you are well and having a good summer. I might be over in the UK again next month. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers for now,
JP
Old 10-01-2009, 08:00 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Thought i'd add a couple of shots of my Ruf A pillar wind deflectors, these look great and fit really well. Not sure how much they'll help but it must be quite a bit up above 150mph or so. Anyway i'm bored so thought i'd stick something up!

Car is in having 600lb springs fitted in the rear, turns out the springs sent with the suspension were only 350 in the rear, no wonder the car was soft in the back, and to think about the runs i've done with it like that too, quite scary!
Old 10-15-2009, 02:22 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Not good news, had a standing start 1 mile event organized for this weekend, thought i'd get a leak-down test done on the engine just to check if things were in order. 5 cylinders between 2% and 4% which is great, cylinder 5 was 28%

Engine pulled, torn down, it turns out the exhaust valve guides are badly worn! Heads are away being rebuilt, turns out i have 3.8RS cams in there, these are the ones RS Tuning use for the 520bhp kit which was music to my ears! Next stop is a pair of K24/26RS turbos and the 520bhp ECU, everything else is up to spec so this is the logical next step.
I didn't expect to be doing a top end rebuild so soon, i'm gutted to be honest, the whole point of using the 993tt engine was reliability, at least after this i will know it's perfect
Old 10-15-2009, 07:14 PM
stu.p
Racer

Ouch Jon,feel for you mate!!

You have came this far and your car is a keeper for sure so when all is rebuilt you will know for a fact you have everything just the way you want it and something very special

Stuart

Porsche inspector within UK for Peter Morgan.
http://www.porscheinspections.com/
964 turbo-Rebuilt using ARP hardware and other mods.
Purpose built fuel controller to produce perfect fuel curve on cis injection
Old 10-15-2009, 08:47 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry you are dealing with this what a pain. Any of the air cooled motors suffered from soft valve guides and most of the turbos suffer from a poor leak down any where from as early as 30k miles on up. I have rebuilt more than I can recall that have had this issue.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:09 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

It's a tough pill to swallow, but I guess it's better this way than something letting go when i'm flat out. At least it's all getting stripped, checked, new gaskets etc, cylinders are all off and everything looks like new

I'm getting the rear suspension top mounts done while the engine is out, making it all stronger with some welding etc RSR style, like this

It is a bit odd that Porsche use soft bronze valve guides, you'd think they would at least use phosphorous bronze, i guess they have their reasons?
Old 10-16-2009, 04:09 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

It's a tough pill to swallow, but I guess it's better this way than something letting go when i'm flat out. At least it's all getting stripped, checked, new gaskets etc, cylinders are all off and everything looks like new

I'm getting the rear suspension top mounts done while the engine is out, making it all stronger with some welding etc RSR style, like this

It is a bit odd that Porsche use soft bronze valve guides, you'd think they would at least use phosphorous bronze, i guess they have their reasons?

Quick Reply: Anyone with a 993tt engine in a 930??