Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Anyone with a 993tt engine in a 930??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008 | 05:16 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Very nice Jonathan.

Jim, must of been great at Sebring as a Porsche nut.
Old 03-31-2008 | 11:48 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Sebring was pretty incredible! We couldn't believe both the Peugeot and Audis went down with reliability issues. Both of those cars were just blazing fast, if thay hadn't spent so much time in the pits they would've run away and hid from everyone else. The Penske RS Spyders just kept plugging away and as the favorites sat in the pits just kept climbing the board! I understand there were some really P_ ss _ d off people in Germany at the Audi factory on Sunday morning!

Overall the crowds seemed a little down. Don't know if its because of the economy here right now or because Spring Break for our colleges were messed up by the earlier than normal Easter holiday. But the crowd that was there was pretty electrified by the outcome.

Jonathan I figured with you "project" in full works you probably weren't going to have the time to come over. I tell you and Nathan what though, if you want to come over to Atlanta for the Petite LeMans we'll be glad to host for that one as well. I think its the last weekend in October this year. Or, there's another Sebring coming next March. I know its hard swinging these things.
Old 04-14-2008 | 04:30 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Almost there now, front oil cooler fitted and plumed in, we fitted a cooler that replaces the front AC condenser and wired the fan up to a thermostat so it only kicks in when needed, i think this is a great idea for those not using the AC and also want to to keep the stock front valance.
I've had the CAT's gutted and they have made up a pair of tips from a 997 sport exhaust, i'm not too sure on the look as i haven't seen it on the ground or in the flesh, what do you think?
I'm not sure it can stay in this configuration as they said it's loud, like REAL LOUD, but i'll have to see, if i like it then i'll have to have something else for track days as it'll never get under the 100db as is. It should be ready to roll this weekend so it'll get mapped next week (hopefully). I'm starting to get impatient now but it really is the last main hurdle. Next is all the other stuff, but i'll cross that bridge later, it's time to drive it for a while

Exhaust tips

Front oil cooler and lines

Last edited by JBL930; 04-14-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2008 | 05:36 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the update- great project!
Old 04-14-2008 | 08:47 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Jonathan,
I like the tips on the exhaust. Makes you look at it going, "Maybe its stock, no maybe its aftermarket, geez I don't know!" in a sleeper kind of way. You've done well. I can't wait to get the road report. Just take care of yourself in that thing. Something tells me its going to be like a shuttle launch. You might not know where you're going, but you'll be going there really quick I'd imagine!

Cheers Mate!

Jim P.
Old 04-14-2008 | 09:18 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Thanks Jim (s), it's been a headache but I think it'll be worth it, I just hope I can keep it going in a straight line
I'm getting really excited now, like I'm a kid again building a go-kart, I knocked up a plywood number when i was a nipper, pram wheels (big on the back and small on the front) held on with horse shoe nails, crude steering using a rope, a plastic school chair seat with a piece of wood on a steel bar which rubbed against the rear right tyre to act as a brake (the front brake was the sole of my shoe on the front wheel), it was carpeted and covered in badges i'd lifted off the back of lorries, and in my best painting skills i'd written "The General Lee" on each side. The trouble i got into on that thing is comical, here we go again
Old 04-15-2008 | 05:25 AM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Looks great Johnathan - Ray's a good guy isn't he. I look forward to meeting up and seeing the beast!

Cheers,

Tim.
Old 04-15-2008 | 04:41 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Your go kart comments are making me smile. I too had a kart with pram wheels. I remember when some older kids that were bullies stole it and went backwards down a hill being cocky and it flipped over end to end LOL.
Old 04-15-2008 | 06:51 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Serves 'em right Nathan. Pic will be on its way to you when I get home tonight. Left my thumb drive at home today, DOH!
Old 04-15-2008 | 07:23 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Jon,
I agree, the tips look good.
You know I like a nice loud exhaust. Make sure we hear it before you change it if its too loud.
PS: Its only too loud if you see pedestrians diving because they think someone is shooting at them!
Old 04-15-2008 | 07:48 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

I'm hoping i can leave it free flowing, I haven't been able to get over there to hear it yet but i should be picking it up on Friday, then it's off to get mapped.

Tim, i will get in touch when it's back and we'll meet up, bring your helmet

Mark, i'll try and get some video of the sound if it's worth it, i'm hoping to get to the next VMax at the beginning of June so plenty of opportunity then, all depends on how long the mapping takes

Nathan, you have to come to one of our gatherings at some point, seams you're always too busy or have something on, we'll have to come round your house and forcibly drag you out for the next one

Jim, keep me abreast of dates for things on your side, I promise i'll make it over there at some point, just make sure there's plenty of beer
Have you made a decision on Le Sarthe this year?
Old 04-16-2008 | 02:37 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I'd like to get to the Ace sometime, maybe this month. Send me an email or pm if you are going to go.
Old 04-16-2008 | 03:24 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Nathan, if my car is ready for VMax why don't you come along then, PM me for dates as it's kept off the forums but it's in the first half of June. I don't really have time for ACE cafe meets TBH, it sometimes takes me a month to squeeze in a haircut, flat out runs on 2 mile airport runways i'd miss a family funeral for
Old 04-16-2008 | 04:00 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Will keep you up to speed on the events here Jonathan. Right now we're on hold for going over as the MoD has held things up until after the elections over there. We're thinking it might be getting so the LeSarthe deal might be in play again. Just kind of depends on how things go.

Good luck with the mapping and trials on the beast. Should be a real sleeper that'll suprise a heck of a lot of guys thinking they can get you during the turbo's lag, only this one won't have any!

Nathan - I sent you the pic, hopefully you got it okay.

Cheers for now!

Jim P.
Old 04-21-2008 | 05:05 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Jonathan, I'm on the mailing list for that thanks. Straight runs in my 3.2 seems a little pointless as the car is just too gutless. I'd prefer to do some twisties. Maybe I could come as a spectator and take some video or something?

Jim, Thanks I got the pic, looks just like your car!

Quick Reply: Anyone with a 993tt engine in a 930??