Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Air Cooled Bubble?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 05:06 PM
911ist
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

long story short, how much is an one owner 78 911 Turbo worth? My friend's dad has this car sitting on jackstands for the past 3 years and he is thinking about getting rid of it. I don't know too much detail but assuming he has the wheels and the car is in the condition that's typical for a 930, what do you think it's fair in today's market?
Old 10-22-2015, 07:27 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 911ist
long story short, how much is an one owner 78 911 Turbo worth? My friend's dad has this car sitting on jackstands for the past 3 years and he is thinking about getting rid of it. I don't know too much detail but assuming he has the wheels and the car is in the condition that's typical for a 930, what do you think it's fair in today's market?
I'm not trying to be snarky, but try the 930 forum. Some guys who hang out here follow 930 values. I don't. This forum is focused on naturally aspirated 911s up to the 964s. I don't know or I would give you a straight answer.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:34 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by puddy
I guess you're right, I probably cant even afford to be a member of these forums...
You don't have to buy the most expensive Porsche to have a really fun car. I've owned several different Porsche's over the years, including some awesome air colored 911's, and right up at the top of the list in terms of fun quotient is also very affordable: an 02 Boxster S.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:17 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think there is a thread over on the 964 forum where folk state their purchase price, there is a big difference between what they list and what others advertise at ..... The two are very different numbers and should not be confused.

Here is a nice late SC with very good engine numbers advertised at $27k by a dealer, if that's the dealer price then at the hands of a private seller that car would probably be closer to 20k and sub 100k miles too .... Where is the bubble?

http://www.dallasmotorsports.com/web...exas/19140245/
Old 10-23-2015, 10:39 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Hate to say it but what makes one car worth more than another? This is like the real estate agent showing you comps for your 5 bedroom 4 bath house that is 8000 sq ft all top end by using examples that are same number of baths and bedrooms at 2000 sq ft with contractor grade cabinets and heating system, on half the property on a busy street vs a quiet neighborhood. Saying your house is only worth what the others are worth.

There is no "an 80 SC is worth X or Y". It all depends on the individual car and most of the cars I see are pigs with lipstick. Less than 1% of the cars I look at are worth what they are being offered at. The special cars are near perfect and are 3-5 times the price as the rest but everyone says they are overpriced. IMO the overpriced one is by far the best deal. This maroon car is obviously covering a million sins and then there are the mechanicals. The oversized black stone guards, black mirrors valance (one is damaged) etc are all done with rattle can I have no doubt and look like crap. I hate to think what this thing looked like before they tried to gussy it up. Sorry also the **** brown interior is just horrid.

I can almost guarantee you this car has closer to 193k miles than it does 93k and whoever treats a car like this must have not maintained it. I Judge some very fine less than 10k mile all original cars and some 50k mile cars that I know have more mileage and have been worked to show like they have less. The differences are night and day. This maroon car is worth $20k tops from the dealer less from a private seller, maybe less than that IMO, but they will try to sell it for more and some schmuck will buy it which is why asking prices are going through the roof for crap.

If someone offered you a 12k mile SC in perfect condition for $50k right now I almost guarantee everyone would pass on what IMO is a bargain and buy something like this and spend $20k to make it right which IMO makes no sense. For the 10 k more you are buying an investment or a great driver however you chose to treat it. The others will only be worth a little more than what you paid not including all you dumped into it.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:46 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911ist
As you describe it price can be between $65k and $250K all depends on so many things.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:08 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

The cars Dallas advertises are only a half step above a BHCC car. They are the froth I talk about. They offer up condition 4 cars at condition 3 prices and hope the market noob doesn't know the difference.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:13 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
The cars Dallas advertises are only a half step above a BHCC car. They are the froth I talk about. They offer up condition 4 cars at condition 3 prices and hope the market noob doesn't know the difference.
1/4 step if that methinks LOL
Old 10-23-2015, 11:27 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I on the other hand see a car that has huge potential, at that price point I could change the color, play around with the interior, get the suspension & brakes that I want ..... sure it will be 50k but it will be what I want. No doubt there are also those out there that like to spend time on their cars, for them its part of their enjoyment, they like looking for parts or making them up ....its not always about resale value or just the joy of driving, different folks different strokes. But yes I do agree that if you don't like to see your car in the garage for months on end or spending money on it then you are better off buying a fully sorted 40k car or whatever.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:30 PM
puddy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
You don't have to buy the most expensive Porsche to have a really fun car. I've owned several different Porsche's over the years, including some awesome air colored 911's, and right up at the top of the list in terms of fun quotient is also very affordable: an 02 Boxster S.
I realize that. I got my car at the right time as values were going bananas. I picked up a 1975 911 hotrod with a 350+hp turbo motor at 2450 lbs its tons of fun on track and street. Seeing similar cars for sale now going to more than twice what I paid. I'd love to get another similar car but would really have to be a right place right time situation. I tried to convince my gal that perhaps a nice Cayman or Boxter would be a great car for her to start with but she insists on air cooled :/
Old 10-23-2015, 03:22 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Hate to say it but what makes one car worth more than another?
Everybody hope for buyer charming, that their particular enthusiast class good shape car finds that buyer who is looking to spend a couple thousands more for just the right car.

Some find buyer charming, others have to give up and give somebody a bargain that the buyer doesn't and never will truly know about.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:41 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mondrian
I on the other hand see a car that has huge potential, at that price point I could change the color, play around with the interior, get the suspension & brakes that I want ..... sure it will be 50k but it will be what I want. No doubt there are also those out there that like to spend time on their cars, for them its part of their enjoyment, they like looking for parts or making them up ....its not always about resale value or just the joy of driving, different folks different strokes. But yes I do agree that if you don't like to see your car in the garage for months on end or spending money on it then you are better off buying a fully sorted 40k car or whatever.
No doubt but how many people get into these things understanding what they are getting involved with. To me there is a point a cars condition makes it a complete redo. It is far easier to strip it down and start from scratch than it is to spend time trying to band aid all the problems. To do it properly costs far more than many imagine even if you do most of the work yourself.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:55 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

No doubt but how many people get into these things understanding what they are getting involved with. To me there is a point a cars condition makes it a complete redo. It is far easier to strip it down and start from scratch than it is to spend time trying to band aid all the problems. To do it properly costs far more than many imagine even if you do most of the work yourself.
Yep. I literally just got of the phone with a shop that is doing a Weissach SC for someone. The job is well into 6 figures. And the car owner is willing to pay every cent of it to have that perfect special car.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:33 PM
berk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate to say it but what makes one car worth more than another? This is like the real estate agent showing you comps for your 5 bedroom 4 bath house that is 8000 sq ft all top end by using examples that are same number of baths and bedrooms at 2000 sq ft with contractor grade cabinets and heating system, on half the property on a busy street vs a quiet neighborhood. Saying your house is only worth what the others are worth.

There is no "an 80 SC is worth X or Y". It all depends on the individual car and most of the cars I see are pigs with lipstick. Less than 1% of the cars I look at are worth what they are being offered at. The special cars are near perfect and are 3-5 times the price as the rest but everyone says they are overpriced. IMO the overpriced one is by far the best deal. This maroon car is obviously covering a million sins and then there are the mechanicals. The oversized black stone guards, black mirrors valance (one is damaged) etc are all done with rattle can I have no doubt and look like crap. I hate to think what this thing looked like before they tried to gussy it up. Sorry also the **** brown interior is just horrid.

I can almost guarantee you this car has closer to 193k miles than it does 93k and whoever treats a car like this must have not maintained it. I Judge some very fine less than 10k mile all original cars and some 50k mile cars that I know have more mileage and have been worked to show like they have less. The differences are night and day. This maroon car is worth $20k tops from the dealer less from a private seller, maybe less than that IMO, but they will try to sell it for more and some schmuck will buy it which is why asking prices are going through the roof for crap.

If someone offered you a 12k mile SC in perfect condition for $50k right now I almost guarantee everyone would pass on what IMO is a bargain and buy something like this and spend $20k to make it right which IMO makes no sense. For the 10 k more you are buying an investment or a great driver however you chose to treat it. The others will only be worth a little more than what you paid not including all you dumped into it.
so well put.

don't even get me started on them
Old 10-23-2015, 10:02 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Yep. I literally just got of the phone with a shop that is doing a Weissach SC for someone. The job is well into 6 figures. And the car owner is willing to pay every cent of it to have that perfect special car.
Ahh the Weissach SC there was a time they were everywhere for sale. I know of a very clean original low mileage one. He will be happy to hear someone spent 6 figures to restore what he has in original condition. I hope the 6 figures included the purchase price of the vehicle though?

Quick Reply: Air Cooled Bubble?