Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Air Cooled Bubble?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 05:12 PM
kokolyia
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

^I disagree! Because in some cases people are looking for a cheap not good car that they consider is good because they wish to make it a race car.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:28 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,707 Likes on 2,342 Posts

^ i know i just bought 2 to cut up
Old 11-23-2015, 05:33 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

The 964s? No! No wait, yes. That ups the value of mine, LOL.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:09 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by tgil
Why are the 914s making a comeback and even some 944 and 928s? IMO it is obvious.
Any of the cars from this era if clean original and ultra low mileage are worth considerable money. The 914's are exploding the 944's not so much unless it is an S2 or turbo with low miles and the 968 is seeing attention for ultra low mile pristine examples. My 928GTS 5 speed is sadly worth less than my C2 which I never thought I would say. Both have about the same miles and are 93's. The GTS is a tremendous car and 10k mile 5 speeds are fetching 6 figures but the remaining 4xx or so GTS's with only 170 5 Speeds are still not going up in value. I have no doubt that will change but by how much?

I know of a very nice 76 914 with 35k miles black over black mostly original for sale for some serious $$. It makes me wish I kept my 74 2.0l

Mooty

Curious are you paying up for these cars to cut up. I have not been able to find a candidate for a project in a while unless I buy one of these $20k pigs I see for sale all over the place.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:27 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Curious are you paying up for these cars to cut up. I have not been able to find a candidate for a project in a while unless I buy one of these $20k pigs I see for sale all over the place.
Sometimes you have to get creative. The 74 I bought this summer was hiding out in a slopenose conversion. All steel with a 3.2 swap and an S title from theft in the early 80s. It's an all around solid car including some nice bits like original sport seats and rear wiper. and 930 7&8x16 Fuchs. Paid in the ballpark of what many non-running stillborn middie projects cost.

The body is now back to almost stock and getting painted it's original Gulf Blue color as a bare metal job. I opted for SC flares just so I could keep the 8s. The paint and body is costing as much as the car cost. But when it is done it will still be less than going out and buying a driver quality 74.

They are out there. Just keep watching and asking people.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:09 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,707 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Any of the cars from this era if clean original and ultra low mileage are worth considerable money. The 914's are exploding the 944's not so much unless it is an S2 or turbo with low miles and the 968 is seeing attention for ultra low mile pristine examples. My 928GTS 5 speed is sadly worth less than my C2 which I never thought I would say. Both have about the same miles and are 93's. The GTS is a tremendous car and 10k mile 5 speeds are fetching 6 figures but the remaining 4xx or so GTS's with only 170 5 Speeds are still not going up in value. I have no doubt that will change but by how much?

I know of a very nice 76 914 with 35k miles black over black mostly original for sale for some serious $$. It makes me wish I kept my 74 2.0l

Mooty

928 gTS 5 speed with go up. those are rare and way ahead of their time. ppl just dont understand that car. my dad had 928S4, and GTS. space ships.

with regard to "project" 964.... you may have noticed i have very very ... actually no patience at all. i looked for several years for DONORS. i gave up. so now i just buy on whim.... the SD car with big miles and not so cheap, that will be in my garage tmo by noon. that's how little patience i have. i think it's 4 days from ad showed up to arrival in my garage. that's only b/c some ppl dont work on weekends (namely banks)... else it would have been in my possession that same night the ad is up ;-) my tragic flaw.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:20 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
928 gTS 5 speed with go up. those are rare and way ahead of their time. ppl just dont understand that car. my dad had 928S4, and GTS. space ships.

with regard to "project" 964.... you may have noticed i have very very ... actually no patience at all. i looked for several years for DONORS. i gave up. so now i just buy on whim.... the SD car with big miles and not so cheap, that will be in my garage tmo by noon. that's how little patience i have. i think it's 4 days from ad showed up to arrival in my garage. that's only b/c some ppl dont work on weekends (namely banks)... else it would have been in my possession that same night the ad is up ;-) my tragic flaw.
love your projects! They are always well done and creative!
Interested to see what you have brewing this time!
Old 11-23-2015, 11:50 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky strike
Rule of thumb

The good ones aren't cheap & the cheap ones aren't good.
Then there are the ones that aren't cheap at all, but they're also not that great. I usually buy one of those.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:16 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
love your projects! They are always well done and creative!
Interested to see what you have brewing this time!
Based on the fact that he is a loose west coast associate of our FL group.... I'm guessing PCA E Class Race. Why two, I have no idea? Spares?

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Then there are the ones that aren't cheap at all, but they're also not that great. I usually buy one of those.
You're doing it wrong! LOL
Old 11-24-2015, 09:18 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I had a friend recently give me a new perspective on this whole spike in Porsche prices.... It's not so much a surge in pricing, but a long overdo price correction on cars that have been way undervalued for years.

Doesn't make me feel any better about not buying one 5 years ago, but does give me another way of looking at it that makes a lot more sense than people suddenly just got interested in porsches.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:26 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's true, when you look at the costs - engine $20k, Body $20k, suspension/interior/exhaust system $20k - so if you have a low mile sorted car that needs nothing doing then how can it be $20k? However bottom of the market is not justifiable coz you'll have to put in $40k to end up with a $30k car!
Old 11-24-2015, 09:28 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mondrian
That's true, when you look at the costs - engine $20k, Body $20k, suspension/interior/exhaust system $20k - so if you have a low mile sorted car that needs nothing doing then how can it be $20k? However bottom of the market is not justifiable coz you'll have to put in $40k to end up with a $30k car!
Bingo. Which is precisely why I paid more for a nicer one.

That being said, some people enjoy "the project" and can space the financial investment over time versus chunking it out all at once. It's more money in the long run, but if you like tinkering and the budget is limited, that's just what you do.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:34 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
..... That being said, some people enjoy "the project" and can space the financial investment over time versus chunking it out all at once. It's more money in the long run, but if you like tinkering and the budget is limited, that's just what you do.
I know a few projects that have been running for 5+ yrs, even more who sell straight after car is back on road as they had run up a lot of debt. Problem is costs will not remain fixed and go up every year so it can easily get out of hand, specially when you are knee deep in it!
Old 11-24-2015, 09:45 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^I like to buy the ones that are completely sorted and ready to go. I don't have the patience to spend 5 years putting one together, I want to get out and drive. I do add personal touches but a full resto is not my cup of tea.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:44 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Yep. I've been calling it a correction since this thread started.

Quick Reply: Air Cooled Bubble?