Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Air Cooled Bubble?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015 | 12:37 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Late to this thread party... I just bought a really nice 85 Carrera last month. I feel like I paid too much for it but it was relatively clean with very low mileage. Hopefully I didn't buy the automotive equivalent of buying a home in 2008. LOL
Bubble is far from bursting. I actually just watched an episode of CCC and Wayne Carini was talking about how hot Porsches are becoming and he's dealing w/ a lot more of them then before.
Old 11-21-2015 | 01:31 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
Was it the one in this thread? Its a very nice car. I too picked one up and it didn't come cheap albeit a year newer than yours. I have spend a tidy sum bringing what was already a good car to a excellent car. I only have the synchro issue to resolve and its basically done for many, many more years and looks fantastic.

I don't know how long I will keep it but if the market craters I guess I will have a great car to enjoy but I believe good, honest and well maintained cars will always have a buyer.
No, I didn't post it here. Yet. Here's a few pics. I've also had to put some money into my car after paying a premium for it. Not stuff that had to be done rught away, but stuff I wanted to do as it was going to have to be done at some point so I figured I would set a good service baseline for the car (shocks, struts, new dash, new door checks w reinforcements, all fluids/belts/hoses, new front brake lines, etc etc etc).

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Bubble is far from bursting. I actually just watched an episode of CCC and Wayne Carini was talking about how hot Porsches are becoming and he's dealing w/ a lot more of them then before.
Let's hope so... I told the wife this was an investment. LOL

Old 11-21-2015 | 01:34 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Beautiful!
Old 11-21-2015 | 02:51 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Super nice, if its all original you can never over pay too much for such fine examples.
Old 11-21-2015 | 03:46 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mondrian
Super nice, if its all original you can never over pay too much for such fine examples.
Thanks!

I have the original window sticker, manual, and COA. Matching numbers, 52k miles. The car came with the can can full leather package, the tail, the 16" fuchs, cruise, LSD, alarm, etc... Had a base of $33k and stickered at about $43k. I paid more than the original window sticker. Sigh...

Most of the paint is original. Some of the panels have been painted due to repairing door dings. No accident history that I'm aware of. Hood actually has original paint and factory stickers on the inside.

The PO added an armrest which is removeable, radio is a more modern blaupunkt (don't have the monterey the car should have come with), I just had the dash re-wrapped in comparable factory leather as there was shrinkage on the original leather, headlights have been upgraded to euro H4's (don't have the originals), windshield was just replaced (had to break the original one to get it out to do the dash, seal wouldn't release), and I swapped the original frunk carpet to a comparable aftermarket kit as the original was ratty looking and had a big hole in it where the PO must have put an audio amp in there.

Overall it's a low mileage, mostly original car. Relatively speaking. I guess I could get a monterey radio and downgrade the headlights, but I like to drive at night and I don't listen to audio cassettes anymore. LOL

Here's to prices going up up up
Old 11-21-2015 | 06:21 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Im watching it also and he has a 996 in front of his showroom so...
What does he know
Old 11-21-2015 | 06:41 PM
kokolyia
Pro

I have something important to say. I'd say that the bubble won't so much as burst but maybe just let out some air. Let's be real here. These are enthusiast's cars. A Porsche is not a work of hand beaten art like a Ferrari (thank God for that!). It's a car that man can mold with, drive and not be afraid of finding another windshield wiper or weather seal. Wayne Carini deals with cars that aren't really driven but admired. A Porsche is a great looking car, but unlike an old Ferrari, people can modify Porsches and not be accused of murder. Look at Singer and BBi and Bisimoto for example! As long as there are people like us who love to drive and are not afraid of putting some miles on a car, Porsches will continue to survive as cars that people will see on the road every once and a while. There's a reason why Porsche eventually galvanized the chassis' on these cars. So GET OUT AND DRIVE!
Old 11-21-2015 | 07:07 PM
lucky strike
Advanced

Thanks!

I paid more than the original window sticker.

Here's to prices going up up up
I told you, you can't pay too much.....You can only pay it too soon!
Old 11-21-2015 | 07:27 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by 996SPECticle
Im watching it also and he has a 996 in front of his showroom so... What does he know
A 996! That's a horror! Haha
Old 11-21-2015 | 07:30 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

No, I didn't post it here. Yet. Here's a few pics. I've also had to put some money into my car after paying a premium for it. Not stuff that had to be done rught away, but stuff I wanted to do as it was going to have to be done at some point so I figured I would set a good service baseline for the car (shocks, struts, new dash, new door checks w reinforcements, all fluids/belts/hoses, new front brake lines, etc etc etc). Let's hope so... I told the wife this was an investment. LOL
I'm not a fan of White and Red, but wow, she's a beauty! How many miles and what did you pay??
Old 11-21-2015 | 08:05 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cobalt
Ahh the Weissach SC there was a time they were everywhere for sale. I know of a very clean original low mileage one. He will be happy to hear someone spent 6 figures to restore what he has in original condition. I hope the 6 figures included the purchase price of the vehicle though?
This your friend fishing?
http://m.ebay.com/itm/301804436026?r...&ul_noapp=true
Old 11-22-2015 | 03:22 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by GTgears
I see a LOT of things wrong with that car.
Old 11-22-2015 | 07:31 AM
Racer

Sotheby's is the only publicly traded auction house and they're in big trouble. I suspect they're not the only house in trouble.

There could be an asset bubble caused by low interest rates. Some feel that if interest rates go up the bubble will pop.

I don't see this having much impact on the hobbyist cars but it could easily have an impact on the collectible cars.

Richard Newton
Old 11-22-2015 | 10:16 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

My guess is that prices will stabilize for quality cars but I think the higher prices are the new normal.

I thought the Weissach Edition SCs had stock brakes on them.
Old 11-22-2015 | 10:31 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
I see a LOT of things wrong with that car.
Florida?

Originally Posted by 73911
Sotheby's is the only publicly traded auction house and they're in big trouble. I suspect they're not the only house in trouble.

There could be an asset bubble caused by low interest rates. Some feel that if interest rates go up the bubble will pop.

I don't see this having much impact on the hobbyist cars but it could easily have an impact on the collectible cars.

Richard Newton
They are in trouble cause they changed their historic business model and started to expand faster than supply allowed them to. So they had no choice but to add "questionable supply" - what is now in danger is the "questionable collectables" and not the real deal.

Quick Reply: Air Cooled Bubble?